Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga’s Popularity

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Re: Krav Maga’s Popularity

My apologies on that subject. Had I done a search I would have realized I was stirring the pot and that was not my intent.

mara-jade

I hear ya man. The lower level classes are packed lately. Our 2/3 and 3/4 classes are how hubby and I like them – small for more room to beat up peoplethumbsup

It’s probably a bit of both – the recent media exposure and the New Year’s resolution to get in shape. It’ll be interesting to see how the class sizes change as the year goes on.

Tim – no problem man. It’s great to debate, just knowing when to draw the line is sometimes hard when you don’t realize you might stir that pot:D:

giant-killer

There were two people in LV4 today. Better get there fast, down!! :):

kpalena

My comment about treademarking “Krav Maga” is related to the necessity of keeping techniques and training as the organization intends them to be. If you get a bunch of yahoos saying that what they are teaching is Krav Maga, then the system becomes diluted.

As far as teenagers go. I have no problem with them training, in fact I like when young men and women train. The reality is that most do not stay very long. It is simply too hard. We adjust our intensity level based on size and ability, but I am not going to turn the intensity down too far…if I do, I am doing a disservice to the person I am training with.

I think everyone should learn how to defend themselves. The more the merrier…as long as they are there to train and train hard. If you are there to train…good…if not, go home and come back when you are ready.

ryan

Well, I have no desire to engage in a political discussion, but Brad’s comment about CKM being “a little different” just isn’t the case. I’m not going to pass judgment on the system, but it is vastly different from what the rest of the world recognizes as Krav Maga. CKM places a heavy emphasis on joint manipulation, throws, grappling, etc., and it does not utilize very many strikes (especially kicks.)

All the best!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Ryan:

Well, I have no desire to engage in a political discussion, but Brad’s comment about CKM being “a little different” just isn’t the case. I’m not going to pass judgment on the system, but it is vastly different from what the rest of the world recognizes as Krav Maga. CKM places a heavy emphasis on joint manipulation, throws, grappling, etc., and it does not utilize very many strikes (especially kicks.)

All the best!

Well to beat a dead horse for a minute.

The Krav Maga system no matter who is teaching it is predicated on the initial principles as originally dictated by its founder Imi.

Being born in Israel or having served in the IDF is not a qualification to be a Krav Maga instructor.

If hypothetically you were to take a style such as Judo and apply the principles then it could be integrated into the system. But it would be a specific technique that adhered to those principles.

By the same token you can’t take a system such as Judo and call it Krav Maga, at the end of the day its still just Judo being called Krav Maga to take advantage of its popularity.

Imiís principles are the foundation of the system and canít be discarded for marketing.

psyops

Can I kick the horse a couple of times too?

With regard to CKM it is clear that many who have trained directly under Imi do not consider CKM to be related to Krav Maga in anyway. It is not the same thing and Moni is quite aware of what he is doing by changing the name of his system to capitalize on popularity of Krav Maga in the U.S.

Should Worldwide do anything about it? Well an attempt was made but it failed. By the way other organizations including the institute in Israel attempted to trademark Krav Maga and they failed also. What threat is CKM to Worldwide? I don’t see the issue. In fact there isn’t one organization in the United States that is prepared to make a move on Worldwide’s position as the premiere Krav Maga organization in America! These other organizations are too small and too “traditional” to make a dent. Just my opinion.

bradm

I’ll kick the horse one more time then dismount and put it in the stable. The KM/CKM debate has been run in the ground in prior posts. I see no need to run it in the ground again since everyone has expressed their opinions previously. But I will say this.

My post above was ment to imply “don’t knock another system if you haven’t tried it”. I have trained in KM and CKM and yes there are differences and there are also similarities. CKM uses a lot of strikes, just not closed fists (mostly palms heels, etc.). And Ryan is correct, not as many kicks are used. There are a lot of open hand strikes to the head and to the groin (a lot to the groin). Although there are some (not many) “take downs” in CKM, at the level of training I’ve had, there were no judo throws. At least the way I understand Judo throws to be. Maybe some in advanced training, I don’t know. And CKM does not stress grappling. They do teach ground techiques to get you off the ground if you end up there – just like KM does. Just like KM, CKM teaches that you want to avoid going to the ground if at all possible. In fact, I was taught more grappling in KM than in CKM.

Don’t misunderstand me. Krav Maga is one of the best RBSD systems out there and I still believe in it. I still use many of the techniques when I train with others. I’ve explained in earlier posts why I stopped KM and sought out CKM. No need to go over that again. Since training in CKM, I found it is a damn good RSBD system too. For me, KM and CKM compliment each other. Meaning I am able to apply techniques from both.

Okay, I’m off the horse and it’s in the stable. Hope it stay there.

cav

*ahem* (bringing the post back to topic)

I was shocked by how big the L1 classes on the weekends were last week. I think it’s great that more people are getting into it, because variety helps everybody. Also that’s how Imi wanted it.

What I wish is that everybody was coming in with a serious desire to train. Some people come in and don’t put in much effort, giggle a lot with their friend that is joining them, hold a pad far out from their chest and let it come in with punches (hyper extending the others arms). Thankfully these people start getting serious or leave soon after starting.

thejew

Krav has grown alot through the years, I remember I would bring it up years ago and people would be like “Krav? What the hell is krav?”

My grandfather was in IDF and he had pictures of his training and things like that, plus in the jewish community everyone knows what krav is pretty much. So far I haven’t been called for IDF duty, and i”m not complaining! hahaha There would be friends that did go and volunteer and would come back and want to show off the stuff they learned, krav included.

It wasn’t really well known outside of that though back then, but now more and more people know what krav is and stuff. Kinda funny.

craig-p

If crowded classes are getting to you and your schedule allows for it try taking a morning or noontime class. Usually we have fewer than 10 students in lvl 1. Everyone is focused and trains hard so they can leave quickly to get back to work/school or whatever.

maddogmean

I’ve noticed that the Level 1 classes have pretty much doubled in size. We were able to jump rope and even do laps around the room during our warm ups. Now we are forced to run in place and do jumping jacks.

The instructors have to speak to the entire class to fix any techniques rather than one on one. They seem to be doing the best they can with the size of classes.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: