Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga while SCUBA diving

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    usnavy-233

With carrying on the great tradition of hypothecticals….

What would be the best defense to use if I’m SCUBA diving at 45FT and a shark attacks me out of no where??? 😀

G/K, what would you do?? 😉

jarcher

Re: Krav Maga while SCUBA diving

quote \”usnavy_233\:

What would be the best defense to use if I’m SCUBA diving at 45FT and a shark attacks me out of no where??? 😀

HAHA! Well, if your not religious…

Come to think of it, H&K makes a cool underwater pistol that Angelina Jolie used in one of the Tomb Raider movies…

usnavy-233

\”HAHA! Well, if your not religious… \”

LOL 😀

anonymous

Hmmm, sharks are tricky, since now we are talking animal attacks. That would be like me asking \”What if I’m on my skis and a mountain lion jumps me?\”.

But to the problem at hand: If you suspect sharks, I’d take heavy weapons, like a huge harpoon, or better yet (Ryan would agree here) don’t go down there in the first place.

People, now that’s another matter. Assassination attempt 400 feet under… Makes me think of the movie \”Thunderball\”, which had some great underwater fighting scenes.

Underwater fighting might even be similar to the spaceship scenario G.V.came up with. Slow movements, less weight (although one would have to take the diving suit into account).

I’d try to cut his oxygen tube, but he might do the same to you, so whoever can hold his breath longer wins. What may be scarier is to swim on the surface and then have a fellow swimmer attack (or maybe a surfer – we all know they are the children of the devil 😈 😆 ) What if he chokes you and then pushes you down, under the water? Now you are underwater and he is still, for the most part, above it. Could you do an explosive pluck from that position? How about counter? Would the arm up and turn defense work better? John, can we have an underwater class? 😀 😆

usnavy-233

\”John, can we have an underwater class?\”

Ooh, sign me up! Anything to get another dive in.

BTW, I like the \”cut the air hose\” scenario. As for the mountian lion attack, just take two sticks and bang them together. I hear that scares them away!! 😉

anonymous

That’s what the poles are for. 😉

usnavy-233

\”That’s what the poles are for.\”

Of course they are. Why didn’t I think of that? Pure genius!

jjbklb

If you’re up against a shark…..I’d say that you are fin-ished.

g-v

Re:

quote \”jjbklb\:

I’d say that you are fin-ished.

Oh man, are we doing that again? 😆

clfmak

The biggest, most agressive shark can be dealt with by feeding it your oxygen tank and making it explode. It worked in Jaws.

On a serious note, my dad (who’s an old beach bum) told me they used to make these shark defense weapons that were basically a small tube of compressed air with a needle- when you stick a shark with it, it would inflate them. This seems like it would be a good assasination weapon as well- maybe thats why you can’t find them anymore.

On a somewhat related note, this scuba video is one of the coolest things ever:
    http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1286/

usnavy-233

That’s actually what the EOD mammal program teaches their dolphins to do as an anti-swimmer defense. They attatch a CO2 cartridge to the dolphin’s nose and they’re trained to attack by \”injecting\” the CO2 into the swimmer, which in essence blows them up. It would be nice to have one in your BC pocket just in case.

Although, a shark only bites a human when they look like food. I.E., a surfer paddling out looks allot like an injured seal. When you’re diving under the water in full gear, you look nothing like their food so…but anyway, back to the topic at hand. I’ve always carried a good dive knife on my leg and another on my BC, just incase my leg gets got in something and I can’t access that knife. I would think the best rule of thumb here is to aim for the eyes as that’s the most funeral spot on a shark. If you can’t get to the eyes, shoot for the gills.

Now for a \”thunderball\” type scenario. If you know they’ll probably go for your airway anyway, take a deep breath, and when they reach for your mouthpiece, slide that dive knife into the ripcage or kidney area. I wonder who would hold their breath longer in that situation! 😈

g-v

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

On a somewhat related note, this scuba video is one of the coolest things ever:
    http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1286/

Wow!

kravmdjeff

For help with being attacked by a person on the surface…lifeguards have to deal with it all the time. A drowning person is usually flailing so badly that it’s almost like fighting someone…and they’re often bigger and so a well-trained ocean lifeguard has to tread water for themselves, keep the other person afloat, and not get hit in the face while dealing with the panicking drowning victim

anonymous

So, how big would the tube need to be to inflate an entire shark until he explodes? 😯 And how long does it take? You’d have to be pretty close to the shark to get that needle in, so ample time for him to take a bite. And what about the explosion? Aren’t you going to get killed when pieces of the exploding shark’s skeleton lodge into your skull?

Dolphins with CO2 tubes blowing up swimmers? 🙁 What’s the defense against THAT?

usnavy-233

\”So, how big would the tube need to be to inflate an entire shark until he explodes? And how long does it take? You’d have to be pretty close to the shark to get that needle in, so ample time for him to take a bite. And what about the explosion? Aren’t you going to get killed when pieces of the exploding shark’s skeleton lodge into your skull?

Dolphins with CO2 tubes blowing up swimmers? What’s the defense against THAT?\”

The defense is not being an enemy combat swimmer!

As far as the explosion goes, it’s internal. Not really a KABOOM kind of thing but more of an internal explosion which damages your internals. Speed? It’s would be almost instant. Thing about popping a CO2 catridge and seeing how fast the compressed air escapes. It would take no time at all. I’m not sure how large it would have to be against a shark but if I’m not mistaken, the ones EOD uses aren’t anything out of the ordinary.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: