Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Large Class Small Class

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    kmman

All things being equal (instructor, student, training partner) what do you believe would be the difference, if any, in training in a 4 person class and a 16 person class?

Where would the same student be in one year with each?

Re: Large Class Small Class

Hard to say,

Obviously more one on one attention from an instructor is a plus in pretty much any learning scenario – on the other hand, in KM students also tend to help each other & the more advanced students often provide learning to others in the class either directly or by example.

What really divides an instructor’s time in a KM class is training the students who are at different belt/patch levels.

I find that beyond a certain number of students – a ‘critical mass’ of energy builds in the room which makes everybody try harder and also makes some drills more fun. a group of 4 people would seem pretty sparse IMO.

devilnuts

quote Chocolate Soldier:

I find that beyond a certain number of students – a ‘critical mass’ of energy builds in the room which makes everybody try harder and also makes some drills more fun. a group of 4 people would seem pretty sparse IMO.

I get that. It’s much easier to yell louder and get pumped up with all of the noise around me.

guitarded-1

I like small classes better. I particularly like a 2-4 person class where everyone is more advanced or has more endurance than the average student. That usually results in the instructor teaching more advanced techniques and pushing us harder. In fact, even though I’m Level 1, some of these small classes have basically been Level 2 curriculum. Good stuff.

mara-jade

Ah, smaller classes – more one on one instruction, great on weapons defenses and sparringthumbsup

stevetuna

I attended a Darren Levine seminar where he taught 100 or so of us. I learned a great deal that day.

It’s all about the instructor.

kmman

Maybe I have the best of both worlds. The way class times are, there are both larger classes and smaller clases and you can pretty much predict the class size. Maybe a nice blend is best of both worlds.

crazy-train

as an instructor, and as a student, i like the larger classes. as an instructor i can take things multiple people are doing wrong and point out the mistakes and correct them. this way i can hit multiple things in a shorter time with the most people…..everyone learning from each other in one way or another. as a student and as an instructor, it does seem that the larger the class, the more intense it is. the smaller class you will have more one on one instruction, and it may be a bit slower due to a higher focus on technique. in a larger class, you can can (in a way) compete with your classmates, see which one of you is slightly better in some areas. that usually helps students find their week points, which in turn brings them to us (the instructors) with TONS of questions, in turn making me a happy person 🙂

miche

Sometimes in a larger class it’s easier for me to hide :0

kirsten

Miche… LMAO. You put what most were thinking!! ROTFL

miche

quote Kirsten:

Miche… LMAO. You put what most were thinking!! ROTFL

YEAH!!!! Kirsten is back, where have you been Iíve missed reading your posts.

The forum need more badassed Krav ladies!!

voodoo

Nice horns!

My class varies from a low of 4 or 5 in winter to a high of up to 25 in warmer months.

I probably learn just as much in the bigger classes as the smaller but I reckon the bigger classes are more fun.

-Voodoo

kravmdjeff

I like teaching a bigger class with more basic material, because I think it’s easier to teach aggression in a larger group where the classroom dynamic aids in the effort. For more advanced classes, like ones that include weapons defenses, i would rather teach something smaller than 12, b/c I can give more precise feedback.

As a practitioner, I’ve sort of forgotten what it’s like to be in a larger class…so I’ll say I prefer smaller!

kirsten

Miche… busy busy busy… but I am on it again!! 🙂 You Bas fans are going to FREAK when you see what I been working on!

mara-jade

Argh, you’re killing me woman..a friend told me Bas’ newest workout rocks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: