Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    oasktf

Hi.

I¥am right handed guy, with 4 years of practice of KM. But one combative, gives me a lot of problems, and i think its gettin weaker..and weaker..

The Hook from the left!

It has 2/4 of the power of the right and it hurts my wrist, hand, fingers..etc..

I do it by the book, i think the problem, is clinch of the fist, not as good as the right.

I feel very unconfortable, giving left hooks to the bag..

Any tips?

coda-vex

Re: Left Hook Punch

quote oasktf:

Hi.

I¥am right handed guy, with 4 years of practice of KM. But one combative, gives me a lot of problems, and i think its gettin weaker..and weaker..

The Hook from the left!

It has 2/4 of the power of the right and it hurts my wrist, hand, fingers..etc..

I do it by the book, i think the problem, is clinch of the fist, not as good as the right.

I feel very unconfortable, giving left hooks to the bag..

Any tips?

Well 2/4 is a lot usually it’s only 1/2! (Jk) Make sure your wrist is straight and your elbow is not dropping. Get good rotation from your hips and rotate through the punch.

kirsten

Are you hitting thumb up and your pinky down to the floor, or is our pinky facing out? Your body mechanics may be preventing you from being able to hit correctly, or you maybe just trying to hit the bag without honing in your form and technique first.

Start with shadowboxing and make sure your not getting your elbow over your fist when you make the punch. Your elbow should be in line with roughly your fist when you hit.

The power will come AFTER you get the technique down, then start to engage the hips and drive through your legs.

Here is a Bas video that explains the hook very well. He starts with the Hook at 3:25 of the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_gq3s3FMsg

jrodf4

Also dont forget to pivet your left foot. Once you get it down your left hook could be as devestating as your straight right.

inky

The power behind the punch comes from precise exacution, not from body size or muscular strenght. ~David Kahn

For me i had to look at a few books, youtube’d it and finaly had to ask my instructor for help. After i knew i had it i just practiced in the mirror (form only) for a week.
    after that my Left hook right hook combo is now a massive piece of my game.

Once you can feel the link from the pivot to contact on the bag practice that like 25 times a night a for a week and i bet you will have it down.

~Cheers

kirsten

Here we go again, hang on :-)… I am not a fan of the “pivot”. Bas points out exactly why the pivot is a bad idea in that video and if you think about it from a self-defense perspective, it really is a bad idea. We are not boxing. We have to understand that the pivot opens us up to takedowns and leg kicks. When we turn our body it becomes increasing difficult to defend against them when you pivot. None of which is allowed in boxing- where that pivot comes from. So they can pivot without consequence.

I don’t teach the pivot and the students overly complicate their hook when they try to incorporate the pivot. You will have tremendous power without the pivot if the punch is done correctly. If you insist on the pivot, just know its not necessary to generate power and opens you up to being taken down- which is a risk we don’t like for self-defense.

oasktf

Sorry ppl.

But with or withour pivot, i cant do the left hook punch properly.

The pinky is down, the distance is short, the elbow is on the line with the fist…

:\

kirsten

Take it slow, it takes time… Don’t be so hard on yourself. Keep trying, it will “click” for you one day. Try taking a half step away from the pads so you are reaching out a bit more with the hook, you may just be too close. But its hard to say without watching you punch… sorry.

jrodf4

quote Kirsten:

Here we go again, hang on :-)… I am not a fan of the “pivot”. Bas points out exactly why the pivot is a bad idea in that video and if you think about it from a self-defense perspective, it really is a bad idea. We are not boxing. We have to understand that the pivot opens us up to takedowns and leg kicks. When we turn our body it becomes increasing difficult to defend against them when you pivot. None of which is allowed in boxing- where that pivot comes from. So they can pivot without consequence.

I don’t teach the pivot and the students overly complicate their hook when they try to incorporate the pivot. You will have tremendous power without the pivot if the punch is done correctly. If you insist on the pivot, just know its not necessary to generate power and opens you up to being taken down- which is a risk we don’t like for self-defense.

Well you dont throw a left hook from a distance its pretty much a close quarter combat tool so being kicked when you do a pivot is kinda far fetched if you do it at the right time. Plus I hope the left hook isnt the only offense your gonna be doing :dunno:. As for you not teaching the pivot cause a Bas video thats cool. Different strokes for different folks. If you connect a well thrown left hook it is lights out. As far as being at risk for a takedown wellllll you could be taken down after anything so my bjj friends tell me thumbsup :dunno: ..

Well before this gets off track here you could generate more power with a pivot BUT it could be done with out it and still generate enough power to be effective. I say learn them both and you pick which one to do at the time of need.

jrodf4

quote oasktf:

Sorry ppl.

But with or withour pivot, i cant do the left hook punch properly.

The pinky is down, the distance is short, the elbow is on the line with the fist…

:\

practice makes perfect.

ryan

I agree with Jrodf4. If you’re being kicked while throwing a hook, there are more pressing things in your game to address than whether to pivot or not. The pivot, done correctly, is very fast and not a big movement.

All of that said, pivot or don’t…do what feels best to you.

oneness

That’s the problem most people don’t understand the hook. They think its only a close range strike. Its not as long as a straight but the hook has a much longer range than most use it. They also throw most liver and spleen shots incorrectly and that is why generally those are taught as close range weapons as well. I learned that lesson the hard way from my friend Hector Pena (13 time world champion)

Takedowns done correctly are shot from the clinch range to even what you percieve as the ‘standard hook range’; so again if you pivot, you will get taken down against someone that knows.

Look, I had this same discussion with an Olympic level boxer. He thought things differently about the pivot after I kicked him and then another time took him down. In training many professional fighters, if they pivot, generally I get a free kick to their leg, a takedown or get to set up my favorite knock out combination. Like any strike and counter, its timing and recognition.

Also, a well hit hook is not lights out, no weapon is ever 100%.

Too increase your power on your left hook.

1. No gloves or wraps, stand square to a bag, neutral stance. Make contact with you hand lightly. see how it hits and make adjustsments as need to make sure you knuckles land correctly. most people try and hit a heavy bag to square directly in the middle from the side.

Increase the power and speed and make sure you hit correctly each time. If not slow down and decrease your power. The whole point is muscle memory so when you hit it as fast and as hard as possible that it is the same movement as slow.

2. Switch your stance and hit the bag. I generally use boxing gloves when I do this. Not too often, but because my hip is now open and I am striking from a longer range, I can increase my power. Think left straight vs a right straight. More distance equals more power! Guess that’s why the hook should be thrown using full range of motion. thumbsup

Goodluck

ryan

Kicking or taking down a boxer is like tackling a basketball player…it isn’t relevant. Also, whether you are able to kick or takedown pro fighters is irrelevant to the masses. If you’re getting kicked while hook punching, you’re setting it up wrong. If you’re kicking while someone is sitting down on punches, you’re likely to get punched. Takedowns do happen from clinch, pivot or not. It’s still about the setup of the punch, and knowing when to throw it, not necessarily how. Like I said, pivot, don’t pivot; do what works for you.

oneness

Taking down a professional fighter is irrelevant but, if they can be taken down with ease than what about a beggining student that is going to throw it at the wrong time or not set it up correctly.

The pivot does take longer than you think and in self defense its all a matter of positioning, and tenths of seconds.

Do or dont pivot, but also dont teach students that the pivot increases power and prevents a takedown, a kick because it doesnt.

ryan

The pivot takes the exact amount of time I think it does; whatever that means. It takes much less time than the “loading” that many emphasize. Again, I’m not nearly as hot and bothered about it as you seem to be. Both approaches work; neither is infallible, neither “defends” anything. The idea that pivoting insures a leg kick or takedown is just wrong. Knowing when to throw and how to set up any combative is essential to incidental defense. Do what works for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: