Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Legality of intervention

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    jjbklb

Re: Legality of intervention

DW & I were touring in a different city 2 days ago.We saw a large guy yelling at a woman with two kids in her hands.We slowed our walk as we got closer to evaluate the situation.It was soon apparent that this was his wife.She then got right up to his nose and was screaming back at him.I’m glad that I didn’t immediately intervene.

We could tell she wasn’t scared..just pissed at him.If I had intervened,I’m sure she would have turned around & given me both barrels verbally.Deciding what an outsider should do in potential domestic disputes can be difficult.Things aren’t as clear-cut.

harleyd

quote jjbklb:

DW & I were touring in a different city 2 days ago.We saw a large guy yelling at a woman with two kids in her hands.We slowed our walk as we got closer to evaluate the situation.It was soon apparent that this was his wife.She then got right up to his nose and was screaming back at him.I’m glad that I didn’t immediately intervene.

We could tell she wasn’t scared..just pissed at him.If I had intervened,I’m sure she would have turned around & given me both barrels verbally.Deciding what an outsider should do in potential domestic disputes can be difficult.Things aren’t as clear-cut.

It’s true that it may be a more complicated situation but keep in mind the number one cause of death for pregnant women is homicide committed by their partner or ex-partner. Outsiders unwillingness to become involved has been sited by many survivors of domestic violence as escalating their feelings of isolation and helplessness, and many quoted their batterers as using outsiders refusal to help as proof that she in fact ‘deserved’ the abuse or as proof that their battering was acceptable.

kirsten

It’s really not difficult to decide what to do… call 911 and be the best possible witness. The fact is, there is an amazing amount of resources out there in most every community to assist people living in these situations. In Oregon, we are required as LE to give out cards explaining resources and rights to victims of DV (domestic violence). We are the rolodex of resources, however its up to them to draw the line in the sand and reach for the extended hand trying to help them.

Just call 911 and let them sort out the situation.

kmyoshi

quote :

An autopsy found that the woman who was beaten outside a downtown Santa Ana lounge early Saturday died of complications from blunt-force trauma to the head, the Santa Ana Police Department said.
    Kim Pham, 23, of Huntington Beach was hit and kicked in a fight outside The Crosby. One person has been charged in her death and four others are being sought.
    Pham, a recent Chapman University graduate who aspired to become a writer and talk-show host, was declared brain-dead shortly after she was admitted to the hospital and was pronounced dead Tuesday after being taken off life support.
    Vanesa Tapia Zavala, 25, is being held in lieu of $1-million bail and faces a single murder charge in the death of Pham, who was hit and kicked outside The Crosby.
    Her attorney, Kenneth Reed, said Wednesday that not only did his client not take part in the attack, Zavala was actually struck and knocked to the ground herself during the incident.
    At one point she was on her hands and knees looking for her cellphone, which detectives later recovered. Zavala is one of five people suspected of attacking Pham.
    A $10,000 reward if being offered for information leading to the arrest of the other four, two women and two men. The incident has also raised issues about safety in downtown Santa Ana as new businesses continue to attract more outsiders.
    The incident early Saturday was captured on video from cellphones, some of which has been reviewed by police, said Cpl. Anthony Bertagna, spokesman for the Santa Ana Police Department. Investigators are also reviewing surveillance footage from the area.
    Police have not said what prompted the argument, but Pham’s friends said it may have started after she accidentally stepped in front of a camera as a group of people posed for a photo as they waited to enter The Crosby.
    However Michael Molfetta, a defense attorney for a potential suspect in the fatal beating, said it was Pham who threw the first punch following a verbal argument after someone from Zavala’s group bumped into her.
    Molfetta said police were hasty in arresting Zavala and that Santa Ana detectives know who the four other suspects are, yet have made no arrests.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-santa-ana-nightclub-victim-blunt-force-trauma-20140123,0,3269498.story#ixzz2rM20AfSk

There were plenty of bystanders just recording the brutal attack as it happened. Another case of the bystander effect and how no one wants to get involved. “Someone else will step in,” which is what everyone probably thinks. Such a tragic loss.

jjbklb

I’ve been charged with murder for killing a man with sandpaper. To be honest i only intended to rough him up a bit….

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Jon

When you are watching videos do you pick them apart and think how you would have reacted based on your training?

kmyoshi

quote CJs Dad:

Jon

When you are watching videos do you pick them apart and think how you would have reacted based on your training?

Ah, therein lies the kicker.

I always try to dissect videos and even TV shows/movies on how I would react in violent situations. Are you asking how I would react if I was a total stranger to what is going on (like I just turned the corner and there was that melee going on) or did I see it unfold in front of my eyes? Another perspective would be if that person getting the crap beat out of them was my friend.

Based on my training, if I didn’t know what the hell was going on, I would probably not get involved, because what if the person getting beat down started the fight/pulled a weapon, etc. and they were “subduing” him/her? Who is the real bad guy? My main complaint on the “bystander effect,” is really based on the fact (or reports) that her friends did nothing while she was getting her head kicked in. Are you even considered a “bystander” if you have direct connection to the person(s) involved? The video on liveleak is pretty useless due to the low light and crappy camera because you don’t see WHO is getting beat down, just a crowd of people bunched together like a mosh pit.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: