Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    sword

Hey folks, I was wondering. I don’t have a school anywhere near me. So I’m endeavoring to learn on my own with a training partner. My ultimate goal is to open a licensed school here in town but thats a few years away. Anyway, Is it possible to level test at a school that you don’t attend? There are a couple of schools in either Louisville or Lexington Ky( approx. 100 miles away). I haven’t approached them with the question. Just fishing for info at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. :dunno:

leejam99

Re: Level Testing?

what r you using to train on your own?

sword

The book and videos, Theres also a guy who’s level 2 moving down here from Michigan who I’m going to start training with, eventually. Besides that I have a friend who owns a MMA gym who I’m going to get to help with my practice. Stress drills and such. Basically anything I can do to learn and gain experience. I’m going to send a call out to any practitioners in my area to see if I can at least get a club started. Not a training center mind you. Just a few folks I can get together to practice with. As far as I can tell, thats about my only option at this point. It’s either that or travel 100 miles one way to go to a training center, and considering I work nights, thats not gonna fly.

I’m brand new to this, but not fighting in general. I’m just trying to put my ducks in a row so I have an outline of my training goals. So I’m just soliciting info at this point.

The only other choice I have is going to an ATA gym, and I’m not to confident in that strategy.

kmky

Sword, I would suggest calling one of the schools. Moberly’s Krav Maga is (859) 264-1964 in Lexington. Core is 502-489-5444 in Louisville. The test, even the Level 1 test is pretty intense and cardio is a must. I’m not sure what either school’s policy is on testing individuals who don’t attend classes there, but there is no harm in calling. Also, I think both offer private lessons, so you might want to look into doing a couple of Saturday classes with the instructors before you test. PM me if you need directions for Moberly’s.

sword

Thanks, I’ll look into it.thumbsup

old-grappler

Speaking of level testing…..and I apologize for hijacking the thread, but this is about testing, too….our school is very small. Right now we’re in an ATA school, although the school is relocating in the near future, so I can only train once per week for now.

I’ve been training for six weeks, and I think I’m coming along pretty well. Level 1 test is at the end of April. Do you all think it’s a reasonable goal to pass that test that soon? I would have 8 more classes..maybe a few extra depending on what happens. I’m in reasonable cardio shape, although I’m spent after a 1 hour class. My technique is OK for the most part.

Any suggestions on what I should focus on in order to pass level 1 in 8 weeks?

Grappler, how many classes have you had so far?

In general the norm is 3-4 months at 2 times per week to be ready for level testing. It’s different rules for testing at every school I know that.

old-grappler

Tim…

I’ve had 6 classes so far, and with a little luck could get 8-12 more before testing…

quote Old Grappler:

Tim…

I’ve had 6 classes so far, and with a little luck could get 8-12 more before testing…

I’m not sure about testing at the end of April. If it were me I would think it was to soon since you only do one class per week but everyone is different.

I recommend buying the “Complete Krav Maga” book as this will definitely help you with training as it contains all the moves broken down by levels as well as good instruction.

Also you want to work on Cardio as the level test (from what I am told since I haven’t gone through it yet myself) will test your limits then you are required to perform the moves after you’re at the point of exhaustion. Again all this is from what I am told by others.

I also recommend buying the Bas Rutten Training CDs & DVD and if you can work with a heavy bag the rest of the week doing the CDs. These are good for working on punches, kicks, & knees & give you a good cardio workout.

Hope that helps some and maybe some others can add to what I have added.

Good luck.

ericajow

After months of putting it off … I’m finally going to take my level 1 test on Sat. woooowooo. Being, as CJ’s Dad called me the other day, a “bag girl” 😉 (i.e. take mostly fitness classes), I’m a little curious as to what to expect. I’m sure there’s probably been a thread on it before, but sorry – I’m too lazy to look it up. 😀 Any tips/advice for me? 🙂

zen4me

quote Old Grappler:

Speaking of level testing…..and I apologize for hijacking the thread, but this is about testing, too….our school is very small. Right now we’re in an ATA school, although the school is relocating in the near future, so I can only train once per week for now.

I’ve been training for six weeks, and I think I’m coming along pretty well. Level 1 test is at the end of April. Do you all think it’s a reasonable goal to pass that test that soon? I would have 8 more classes..maybe a few extra depending on what happens. I’m in reasonable cardio shape, although I’m spent after a 1 hour class. My technique is OK for the most part.

Any suggestions on what I should focus on in order to pass level 1 in 8 weeks?

While I don’t know how testing will be conducted at your school, if it is anything like what we just went through at KMDC you probably won’t want to test this soon. We started the workshop a little bit after noon and didn’t complete it until about 4ish, had a 10min break and then tested for another hour or so, non-stop and at full speed. If you are spent after an hour class and your technique is only “OK” I’d say hold off until your tech’s are solid and you aren’t completely wiped after an hour.

Of course, you could be a complete krav psycho and just go for it! ::grins::

zen4me

quote Ericajow:

After months of putting it off … I’m finally going to take my level 1 test on Sat. woooowooo. Being, as CJ’s Dad called me the other day, a “bag girl” 😉 (i.e. take mostly fitness classes), I’m a little curious as to what to expect. I’m sure there’s probably been a thread on it before, but sorry – I’m too lazy to look it up. 😀 Any tips/advice for me? 🙂

Tip 1: Drink plenty of water the day before the test, keep hydrated during but don’t overdrink
    Tip 2: Eat sparingly during the workshop/test
    Tip 3: If you puke, try to make it INTO the bucket (one dude missed ::yuck::)
    Tip 4: DON’T STOP, DON’T STOP, and oh yeah… DON’T STOP!
    Tip 5: Give 110%

Good luck ::grins::

johnl-d11

Shoot me an email.. I’ll talk with our instructor. We’re in Columbus so not too far from you.

old-grappler

I’ve always been pretty aggressive with my goal setting and the expectations I set for myself, so I’ll probably grab Bas’ DVD, the Complete Krav book and then get myself moving towards the test.

My instructor is awesome thumbsup, and I know she can get me there if I put the extra time in on my own.

old-grappler

Which Bas Rutten DVD are you speaking of….the MMA System Workout which is about 5 DVDs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: