Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Live fire disarm vid?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    jamesh-d30

Re: Live fire disarm vid?

Speaking from a great deal of experience, and much of it very recent, I can tell you that when someone is actively trying to ‘screw you’ in the handgun defense your chances are far, far better when you redirect and control the handgun itself as opposed to at the wrist. For the most part Ryan already touched on why (wrist diameter, defensive leverage, line of fire control, etc.). However, there is another reason seldom visited….When holding the wrist the gunman pulls back hard, his wrist moves with ALL his intent and purpose. But when holding the gun and he pulls back hard, the GUN is subject to his grip strength and the angle of his pull. There is also ZERO counter leverage that can be employed against your hold when you have the gun, as opposed to when you have their wrist, where the gunman’s hand AND the gun itself becomes a lever for retention. As Ryan said, look at how easy wrist releases are. TEST IT! find someone with small wrists who are not quite as strong as you, and ask them to go all out to release the wrist hold. you’ll likely find that they’ll releases the hold sooner than later. Try it again with a gun and you holding the muzzle, see what happens. And by all means, post your findings here.

That’s a lot of words that basically describe this: There are no moving points to be used as leverage against you in a muzzle grab that are beyond your hold. There are at least TWO moving points that can be used as leverage beyond your hold in a wrist grab.

Maybe I’m just old, but under a lot of stress with very active resistance (more than you might normally encounter), wrist re-direction and controls were effective about 75 percent of the time, where muzzle grabs were effective to maintain control close to 100 percent of the time, from my perspective.

kravmdjeff

James, awesome post. I had to read some parts two or three times to get a mental image of what you were trying to say, but once the image was formed, I totally agree!

eric-joyce

quote JamesH:

Speaking from a great deal of experience, and much of it very recent, I can tell you that when someone is actively trying to ‘screw you’ in the handgun defense your chances are far, far better when you redirect and control the handgun itself as opposed to at the wrist. For the most part Ryan already touched on why (wrist diameter, defensive leverage, line of fire control, etc.). However, there is another reason seldom visited….When holding the wrist the gunman pulls back hard, his wrist moves with ALL his intent and purpose. But when holding the gun and he pulls back hard, the GUN is subject to his grip strength and the angle of his pull. There is also ZERO counter leverage that can be employed against your hold when you have the gun, as opposed to when you have their wrist, where the gunman’s hand AND the gun itself becomes a lever for retention. As Ryan said, look at how easy wrist releases are. TEST IT! find someone with small wrists who are not quite as strong as you, and ask them to go all out to release the wrist hold. you’ll likely find that they’ll releases the hold sooner than later. Try it again with a gun and you holding the muzzle, see what happens. And by all means, post your findings here.

That’s a lot of words that basically describe this: There are no moving points to be used as leverage against you in a muzzle grab that are beyond your hold. There are at least TWO moving points that can be used as leverage beyond your hold in a wrist grab.

Maybe I’m just old, but under a lot of stress with very active resistance (more than you might normally encounter), wrist re-direction and controls were effective about 75 percent of the time, where muzzle grabs were effective to maintain control close to 100 percent of the time, from my perspective.

Great post James. I always learn something when coming to these forums. Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: