Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Long knife/sword defense techniques

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

Re: Long knife/sword defense techniques

This is an interesting topic. We have several different cultural groups in my little area of the world who come from cultures where the machete is a common item. We have a growing collection of them in our evidence room.

I’m with Kirsten – if I see it in time, it’s all about using my handgun against their long knife / machete. If I’m late to the dance, then closing hard and fast is about the only viable option.

Unarmed? I’ll just use my goalie stick, because that’s one of the few times I’ll ever be unarmed… Otherwise, I’m with Jeff – what is available to help me keep the steel away from me.

Knives suck. Long knives suck more.

kirsten

quote Kirsten:

Like a machette? My thoughts, use my weapon. Sorry, but thats the cop in me. Now aside from not enough time to draw I would look for a way to put distance or obsticles between us until I can get to a weapon of some type. If your going to use the defenses against a blunt object, better burst in nice and deep and ensure your not going to catch the blade instead of the attackers arm. So I agree with you on where you are going already.

I think we have another thread about this same scenario already. I will look and see if I can find it.

I couldn’t find it… Sorry. I was positive we had started a similar thread…. maybe I am getting old… maybe. 🙂

kravmdjeff

So, previously when I posted, I hadn’t seen the Jamaica video that Chocolate posted. Seems like by running away (but not far or fast enough), he allowed the attack to continue. Staying away from specific techniques and sticking on concepts, the victim still would have been better off had he tried to go inside and strike. From the looks of the scenario, there were no real available improvised shields…it was in the middle of the street. But it seems like his options were:

1) Run away and take some serious damage

2) Fight back and perhaps stop the damage.

Another interesting machete story…many of you know our technique…knife threat to the front of the throat, which can also be done against a wall. I had a student start training with me after he and two friends were attacked in a South American country that way against a wall, only it wasn’t a knife…it was a machete. So it seems like the defense we teach against a smaller blade would not have worked, since it would cause friction against the throat on a larger blade.

oasktf

Question for the blackbelts or someone who knows.

Does exist a defense against this type of attack?

I think it was good for us to Know =)

kravmdjeff

Oasktf…Look at a stick defense against an overhead swing. There are three main modifications you’d have to make, however…our stick defense is designed so that, if you are late making the defense, you can still redirect on the base of the stick, near where the attacker is gripping. In a machete defense, you can’t do that…you must get to the wrist of the attacker to make the defense.

Second, after you create the ramp you’d want to angle your arm out away from your body more so the blade doesn’t catch any part of your arm or shoulder on the way down. Again, with a stick defense this doesn’t much matter, but it could render your defending arm permanantly damaged with a machete or longer blade.

Finally, I’m not sure it would be a good idea to do the disarm the way we teach it with a stick, for danger of being cut on the inside of your arm or on your side, especially with the friction of sliding your trapping hand from the attacker’s upper arm to the butt of the blade. I’d be interested to hear others’ opinions about the disarm…do it the same as stick? Modify in some way to avoid the blade? Just stay inside and hold on until combatives do the job?

oasktf

Sorry, but in my humble opinion, that stick defense, in a manchete attack is suicidal…
    i¥am sure that if exists a defense, it can¥t be that one, too many risks…

don

quote oasktf:

Question for the blackbelts or someone who knows.

Does exist a defense against this type of attack?

I think it was good for us to Know =)

You sound like you’re asking for a one-size-fits-all technique or set of techniques. IMO, there isn’t any such thing. Remember KM is Principle based and when things play out different than you may have planned/expected, you may have to adapt on the fly.

What are some of the principles that people have mentioned already?

Create distance/space/time – footwork, obstacles, improvised tools/weapons – attack from a distance if possible (e.g. firearms, projectiles, etc) – anything/everything “dirty/nasty” goes

If unable to run away, get inside as quickly as possible and immobilize the weapon and/or weapon hand/arm – then do as much lethal/crippling damage as quickly as possible

Expect to get cut – minimize the damage if/when you get cut (e.g. using improvised shields, avoiding cuts/stabs to “timers and switches”) don’t take unnecessary injury (e.g. you go in, get cut, retreat back out without doing anything to the BG – now you’re where you were when you started except you’re bleeding/injured as well)

On another note, I just ordered me one of these – you know for 2012, or when the zombies come a running, whichever comes first… :

http://www.shop.ratknives.com/main.sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRnVY9qLCEE&feature=player_embedded

:):

kirsten

Just me, but if forced to I would use the stick defense and stay in for combatives, not letting go until they did a disarm for me or I could disengage safely. If armed, I draw and shoot CQ or access my BUG or knife. Not armed, I continue with combatives. The defense needs some modification, but either way- you have to haul @$$ to get in like Jeff said.

I agree with what Don said. You won’t find a specific defense designed for all situations, scenarios, and attacks you can think of. If we did, it would be overly complicated and time would be lost searching your “rolodex” of techniques- that’s why you use the principles to guide you.

don

I just reread what I wrote here: “If unable to run away, get inside as quickly as possible and immobilize the weapon and/or weapon hand/arm – then do as much lethal/crippling damage as quickly as possible”

I should not have used the word “then”. Don’t wait until you have full control of the BG’s weapon or weapon hand/arm before hurting him (you may never get “full control” and, at the same time, you may be able to successfully defend/survive such a situation without gaining “full control”) – hurt him as early as you can and as often as you can (e.g. as you’re entering/closing, as you’re blocking, as you’re redirecting, as you’re controlling, etc).

Great discussion..

My career takes me to some wide-ranging places around the globe, some less savory than others & I have oft wondered about how to handle a machete scenario: someone pulling one out of the car, on the street, heading through a crowded market, out in the bush etc..

Funnily enough I recently returned from a short jaunt to a machete zone where, in the course of my activities one day, I came across a machete ‘display’ & made this pic – sure would be nasty to come up against one of these in real life:

Attachments:

seeq-qc

My 0.02 but the bladed weapon scenarios for me happen to be the most daunting…in some ways i’d rather be face-to-face with a firearm within ultra close range (1-3 feet). Even once you make a good defense, the blade can still inflict an injury or death during the counter or disarm.

Practice… practice… practice

cearball

Yeah i definitely think that a knife is generally worst than a gun.

Thanks for the input people.

Definitely makes me want to practice the accuracy & power of my striking techniques, who knows what it’l take to really hurt someone pumped up on adrenalin.

don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc2fyEa_RkA

don’t hesitate and don’t use too little force…

clfmak

Create space, draw one of these, outswordfight them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHC_GtZVhUw

smokelaw1

quote CLFMak:

Create space, draw one of these, outswordfight them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHC_GtZVhUw

Well that is, uh…well, likely to land you in some trouble in my state. Though…MAN would I love to see the look on some kid’s face if he pulls a knife you you whip that bad boy out a la crocodile dundee.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: