Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Long knife/sword defense techniques

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    hm2pac

Re: Long knife/sword defense techniques

quote seeq_QC:

Even once you make a good defense, the blade can still inflict an injury or death during the counter or disarm.

Yeah, I have to agree. The great thing about knives is that they don’t require a reload.

Footage of the European poker tournament robbery this weekend (on live TV!) – in the images you can see at least one of the robbers wielded a machete.
    The take was supposedly EUR 800,000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biLQ12VPv9Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2e7yiXXBY

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8553943.stm

Armed robbers have stormed a luxury hotel in central Berlin where a poker tournament was taking place, German police say.

One report said the gang – armed with assault rifles and hand grenades – made off with the tournament jackpot of 800,000 euros ($1.1m; £726,000).

Several people were injured in the ensuing panic, although none of them seriously.
    About 1,000 poker players are taking part in the five-day tournament.

“Several masked, armed individuals entered the Grand Hyatt Hotel and fled with a haul of money,” police spokeswoman Heidi Vogt said.

She declined to say how much had been taken but Berlin’s Tageszeitung newspaper reported on its website that the gang had taken 800,000 euros.

inky

Anyone read the Yielding sword artical in Black Belt mag this month?
    Pretty good actualy, im now looking for more information on fighting techniques with my medieval swords.

P.S. Just ignor the cover story on Moni and his crap-comandos. (the Rhino???) i lolz’d

Check out these youths pulling concealed meat cleavers from their pants at 00:56 in the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqyU2z-FJr8

erile

I found an update to the poker tournament robbery story on this poker site..

I saw the videos and I was kinda shocked.. Fortunately I only play online from time to time..

ubuwalker31

Sitting in a Borders right now, and I grabbed a book about applying ancient Samurai techniques to the modern battlefield. It pretty much matches my experience putzing around with friends with our fencing sabers in my youth and my current Krav Maga knowledge.

Essentially, the set-up is that your main battlefield weapon (M-16) has malfunctioned and you are confronted by an attacker with a long blade. Your first instinct, of course, is to reach to your back-up weapon, which would be a knife.

Then you can execute any of Krav Maga’s knife vs. knife techniques, which basically avoiding the strike, moving in, and performing a stop cut against the sword arm wrist, securing that arm, and then striking a vulnerable point (neck or chest) of the opponent.

If you have access to a stick, you can use the stick to block the sword and move in with any of Krav’s stick techniques as well. A spear (flag pole) could be effective as well, to keep an attacker at bay.

If you don’t have an edged or long weapon, things get tricky really fast. Swords are very effective against unarmed or lightly armed opponents. They are very fast, since an opponent can lunge with a point or run at you (fleche) while stabbing and slashing. Attempting a 360 style defense against a sword blade will result in a lost hand or arm.

Not to mention that a sword can be used to block (parry) blows from a number of positions which can then be transitioned into thrusts and slashes and bell punches.

The safest area to be in during a sword attack is either far away or very close in front, since both are outside / inside a swords easy strike radius. A skilled swordsman can stab behind his back (Neuvieme) or parrying directly in front of himself by moving his hand above his head and stabbing down into the chest or neck.

You first have to avoid the initial strike by moving your body. Then you have to move in, secure the arm (either very high or very low or towards the stomach) and strike at the face/collar bone/neck. Then cavalier / throw / trip / push the guy to the ground and stomp on his face.

ubuwalker31

Sitting in a Borders right now, and I grabbed a book about applying ancient Samurai techniques to the modern battlefield. It pretty much matches my experience putzing around with friends with our fencing sabers in my youth and my current Krav Maga knowledge.

Essentially, the set-up is that your main battlefield weapon (M-16) has malfunctioned and you are confronted by an attacker with a long blade. Your first instinct, of course, is to reach to your back-up weapon, which would be either a pistol or a knife.

If you pulled a knife, you can execute any of Krav Maga’s knife vs. knife techniques, which basically avoiding the strike, moving in, and performing a stop cut against the sword arm wrist, securing that arm, and then stabbing / cutting a vulnerable point (neck or chest) of the opponent.

If you have access to a stick, you can use the stick to block the sword and move in with any of Krav’s stick techniques as well. A spear (flag pole) could be effective as well, to keep an attacker at bay.

If you pulled your pistol, or if you don’t have an edged or long weapon, things get tricky really fast. Swords are very effective against unarmed or lightly armed opponents. They are very fast, since an opponent can lunge with a point or run at you (fleche) while stabbing and slashing. Attempting a 360 style defense or pointing a handgun at close range against a sword blade will result in a lost hand or arm.

Not to mention that a sword can be used to block (parry) blows from a number of positions which can then be transitioned into thrusts and slashes and bell punches.

The safest area to be in during a sword attack is either far away or very close in front, since both are outside / inside a swords easy strike radius. A skilled swordsman can stab behind his back (Neuvieme) or parrying directly in front of himself by moving his hand above his head and stabbing down into the chest or neck.

You first have to avoid the initial strike by moving your body. Then you have to move in, secure the arm (either very high or very low or towards the stomach) and strike at the face/collar bone/neck with your fist or your pistol. Then cavalier / throw / trip / push the guy to the ground and stomp on his face or hit him again with your pistol.

Machetes are a real threat in many parts of the world. Many people are hacked to death in conflicts in Africa, and they are a real and present danger. I wish Krav would develop some effective techniques to deal with this threat.

don

quote ubuwalker31:

I wish Krav would develop some effective techniques to deal with this threat.

IMO, KM already has some techniques and principles in the curriculum.

Empty hand vs an edged weapon is dicey at best (pun intended); increase the length of that weapon and it goes downhill fast; increase the skill of the wielder and you’re freefalling in the proverbial handbasket. Ideally, you’d want to engage a BG armed like that with one or more deadly weapons from a longer range than what he’s got. If not, run away. If not, you’re looking for improvised weapons/shields and trying to minimize damage while working your way inside.

Combat with edged weapons has been going on for just about forever. Not saying that I know all/see all BUT I have yet to see or hear about anything Magical for this type of threat/scenario. IMO, there is EXTREMELY little under the sun that hasn’t already been thought of/tried/applied in this category at some point in human history.

“Effective” isn’t just about Technique – it’s also about how skilled/trained/able/conditioned/LUCKY/etc you are compared to the BG. You could have the absolute best techniques in the world – if you aren’t good enough to execute them to perfection or are too tired/injured/whatever, those 100% guaranteed techniques aren’t going to do you a lick of good.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, NOTHING is guaranteed. Watch the outtakes at the end of a Jackie Chan movie. Look at how often things go wrong when things are executed at speed – and that’s CHOREOGRAPHED. The better you develop your personal skills, e.g. speed, reflexes, timing, footwork, conditioning, etc, the better you can execute techniques, the better your chances…

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: