Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Looking for inspirational stories pertaining to women

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    wifemirage

I am searching around the web trying to find stories on women similar to Jennerfer Lopez’s character in \”Enough\” but who are real women in today’s real world. Any ideas? A female boxer or something? Obviously I am new to this and would appreciate any/all help and/or advice. Daily motivation and all that so I don’t lose focus. Am I that making any sense? 😕

anonymous

Are you that making any sense? Sure you are!! 😉

I’m not sure about a real life \”Enough\” character, but there are plenty of good female boxers out there (Leila Ali, Muhammed Ali’s daughter for example). There are even female cage fighters. I know two girls, who fought in many BJJ tournament and several mixed martial arts events (against other women). Female fighting sports aren’t generally as promoted as men’s are, but the women participating in it are just as tough as the guys.

As for real life female heroes (as in \”Enough\”) that woman, who persuaded that court house shooter to give himself up, comes to mind. She didn’t actually fight him, but she used verbal skills to get herself out of that situation, basically a different type of self-defense, which thankfully worked well in this situation.

There are even stories about grandmothers beating up burglars and chasing them out of the house. So, the stories are there, you just need to keep looking.

wifemirage

Ok

Giantkiller-
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t sure anyone would. Any other names you can give me to look up would be helpful as well. I am also trying to come up with a good poster or picture to stick on my wall. Any ideas? Places to look? 😀

anonymous

Lucia Ryker is another very good female boxer, one of the best (maybe the best) in the world right now. She also played Hillary Swank’s opponent in \”Million Dollar Baby\”. If you haven’t seen it yet, this is a very good movie.

You could try to google \”Lucia Ryker\” and \”Laila Ali\” to see if you can find any posters. Or maybe try a boxing store. Or you could try to find a picture from the movie with Lucia on it (motion picture sites or stores). I know that Lucia Ryker used to and probably still trains with Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood. He is a very good, well-known trainer, who also trains Manny Pacquaio (who just fought last weekend on Pay Per View).

Those are probably the two most well-known female fighters in the world and I’m sure you should be able to find a poster of them somewhere.

leftie79

Funny you should mention \”Lucia Ryker,\” Giant, because I just got home from seeing Million Dollar Baby. The movie is well worth it and I highly recommend it! I was curious who she was. Do you know if the boxers Hilary had to fight were real boxers?

wifemirage

Giantkiller-
    Thank you, I will keep all that in mind. I did find Laila Ali’s web site and yes, she does have some posters and other things. 8) Off I go, searching for Lucia Ryker.

Leftie79-
    Knowing Hollywood, those probably aren’t real boxers just actors/actresses trained to ‘look’ like they know boxing. Hollywood never did make much sense to me. 🙄

rosie

In preparation for Million Dollar Baby, Hilary Swank did spar with \”real\” boxers at a gym in Brooklyn. There was an article about it in the NY Times not long ago.

I just want to point out one thing: I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who would physically abuse a trained female sport fighter. IMO, the point of Enough is that Lopez’s character is just a \”defenseless\” average woman going up against an opponent who is bigger and stronger.

What is inspirational to me are the stories of women who are not gifted athletes who successfully defend themselves. I think it’s great that women become accomplished sport fighters, but I and 99.9% of women will never be that.

Stories of the average woman defending herself don’t typically get well-publicized because they are typically of a sensitive nature. The fact is that average women get attacked all the time. Some of them defend themselves but too many don’t. As an example, a friend of mine’s sister in law was recently brutally beaten to death by her husband with a crowbar in front of their four children. The story was so marginalized that you can’t even find it on the washingtonpost.com website (but you can find it here: http://www.nbc4.com/news/4277544/detail.html).

You might enjoy a book by Gavin deBecker called The Gift of Fear. He has some very interesting anecdotes that you might find inspirational, or scary, or both.

leftie79

I was searching around on google to find info. on Million Dollar Baby and it says that Lucia Rijker was in the movie \”Rollerball\” playing the red team #9.

wifemirage

women who are not gifted athletes

Rosie-
    Sorry to hear about your friends’ sister-in-law; that sucks big moose balls. The kids are going to need counseling. I hope the courts sent that man to jail or worse. I tried that link but I couldn’t find the story, maybe it was moved because of the holiday.

\”Hilary Swank did spar with \”real\” boxers at a gym in Brooklyn. There was an article about it in the NY Times not long ago.\” Thanks for telling me that. I’ll maintain a bit of hope yet for Hollywood.

\”I just want to point out one thing: I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who would physically abuse a trained female sport fighter.\” I agree with you there. I am looking for the average woman who finds the courage to learn something new in spite of her fears. RE: \”What is inspirational to me are the stories of women who are not gifted athletes who successfully defend themselves. \”

I will look into that book as well. Thank you.

michael

You might want to try here:

http://www.wban.org/biog/azamarron.htm

wifemirage

Thanks Michael-cool site.

anonymous

I just thought of another thing: There’s a magazine called \”Self-Defense for Women\” (or something similar). You should find it at your local newsstand. It’s a martial arts magazine made especially for women and you should find some inspiring stories in there, too.

Also, while you are there, you can check out some of the other fighting and martial arts magazines. There are lots of them, some are generally about martial arts, some are about a specific sport (like boxing, wrestling, grappling etc). Although most of the articles in those magazines are about men, there are also some very good articles about female fighters sometimes. I remember for example, in last month \”Grappling\” magazine (or maybe even this month?) there was an article about a female member of the Gracie family, who is also a black belt and often trains with big guys, tapping them out etc.

So, what you could do, you could go to a newsstand or even better a Barnes and Nobles or other large bookstore and just look through all of those magazines to see if there are any interesting stories. A Barnes and Nobles would be good, because they have lots of seats and benches and practically invite you to read their magazines in the store! 😀 So, you could look for inspiration there, maybe even send a letter to the editor of one of the magazines and ask him for more information.

wifemirage

Wow!

Thanks Giantkiller-that is a fantastic idea. I did go to Amazon.com and search through the magazine subscriptions they had to chose from. I saw ‘Blackbelt’ and a couple of others. Not really anything for women unless you want fluff like Cosmopolitain. Yes, B&N is a great store-love their coffee. Now if Atlantic Bread could give them some of those chocolate crossiants it would be bliss.

Thank you again for the help. It is truly appreciated. 😀

anonymous

You are welcome!! I hope you’ll find what you’re looking for! 😀

leftie79

Wifemmirage–if you aren’t able to find anything at B&N (I know they have a big selection of magazines, ranging in all topics) you can also try Border’s bookstore. They have a big selection of mags too! That’s another idea you can try…hope you find what you’re looking for!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: