Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Looking for your favorite drills

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    devilnuts

Re: Looking for your favorite drills

quote SDKraver:

My favorite is the “circle” drill, usually done with full contact and sparring gear. We do it with the intermediate class, our beginners don’t spar until around 6 months in the system.

Class is broken up into groups of ~10, with students asked to separate themselves into “heavy” or “light” contact preference.

Everyone in the circle picks a number, then a defender steps in the middle and gets ready to fight. It helps if the defender closes their eyes and the groups shuffles a bit before starting so the attackers aren’t in numerical order.

The instructor(s) then call out numbers at random, about 5 seconds apart. The corresponding attacker charges in, being careful to avoid punches to the back of the head, and the two go at it for ~5 seconds, until the instructor calls out the next random number, and so on. In this drill only 1 vs 1, the old attacker can’t pummel the defender after the new number is called.

Even better is when a knife or whatever weapon is distributed among the attackers, so the defender, under great stress, has to identify when the attacker is using a knife and not charging in with a punch or a kick.

Very stressful drill and creates a lot of failure for first timers. But the more we do this, the more we are able to pick out the knife, gun, stick, whatever, and deal with that deadly threat through the haze of stress and fatigue. I dig it!

We do this in MCMAP, they call it “bull in the ring” Towards the end of the drill the instructors will start calling 2-3 attackers out at a time, so the guy in the middle had to position himself against multiple opponents while already fatigued and stressed. It’s a killer drill.

One of my favorites is very low-intensity where the “defender” sits or stands blind, with either eyes closed or the lights out. the “attacker” moves about and reaches in with different grab, hold or choke attempts. The defender learns to instinctively/ reflexively interrupt the contact as quickly as possible, and the exercise is repeated for a few minutes each side. No technique is applied, the purpose is to block/deflect/ brush aside the contact reflexively.

I showed this drill to my unit MCMAP instructors and they loved it — they now do this drill in our sustainment classes.

kirk

I used one last week were I had groups of 3 one with two pad holders on opposite sides of the room. One striker in the middle. Pick you combatives for example, punches on one pad, front kicks to the other. Instructor yells switch they sprint to the opposite pad go hard and fast on the combatives until the instructor yells switch again. Then you mess with them a little.

yell switch as they are almost at the pad ready to strike, yell switch again, they get halfway there yell switch again. It burns them all around.

kmtakinkm

My favorite is the Gauntlet as well. It is the closest to realistic reaction as you can get in my opinion. I especially like it at the end of class when you are all but dead and have to suck it up and react to a multitude of attackers and situations. We some times turn down the lights to simulate a dark alley and/or play loud music, etc to make one concentrat. WHAT FUN IT IS!!!

The only caution I would throw out is the gauntlet is best when all students are of a higher level as newbies tend to get a little crazy and thus dangerous, especially with knees…ouch.

phlegmon27

Oh, Kirk it was a blast! Remind you to send you the MMA workout that our No-Gi BJJ coach put us through later that night. It SMOKED me!

BTW, with the noobs I restricted the strikes they could throw so they didn’t get all loco. Defense, run through the gauntlet with chin tucked and guard up, then straight punches only on the final baddie. The upper-tier folks got to go gonzo!

devilnuts

One drill that we always did in USMC boot camp was to have an aggressor with a pad simply lay – put all their weight down – on a defender who had to elbow their way out of it for about a minute at a time. Wonderful cardio.

co611

One I like for ground work is, divide the class into groups of 2 and spread everyone out. Have defender lying on back and let attacker choose any attack they have trained (side headlock, choke, guard attack).Once defender neutralizes attack, attacker runs to next person and immediately attacks. It takes the attackers running around fast in order to make sure the defenders can’t catch an extra breath..

leejam99

here’s one of my favorite level 1 drill. simple and fun. pick A and B. A hold the tombstone pad. B punchers. B’s closed their eyes and spins around in place as fast as they can. While B is spinning, A’s move around the room. They can hide behind each other or even go out of the room. When the instructor yells “GO”, B’s open their eyes, get to the partner and punches. Its pretty entertaining to see the people open their eyes and start wobbling sideways trying to get to their partner IF they find them.

la-revancha

Pulled out ye ol’ sack races last night for L4.

Picture provided by CJ’s Dad.

phlegmon27

That is F’n awesome! I am so doing a three-leged race with my Saturday class.

jenn

quote La Revancha:

Pulled out ye ol’ sack races last night for L4.

You are sick and mean. Just because what I imagine you made them do before or after that. thumbsup

Kinda like this?!?!?!

quote leejam99:

here’s one of my favorite level 1 drill. simple and fun. pick A and B. A hold the tombstone pad. B punchers. B’s closed their eyes and spins around in place as fast as they can. While B is spinning, A’s move around the room. They can hide behind each other or even go out of the room. When the instructor yells “GO”, B’s open their eyes, get to the partner and punches. Its pretty entertaining to see the people open their eyes and start wobbling sideways trying to get to their partner IF they find them.

Attachments:

leejam99

haha. not quite but the same results when they pick their head up!

mara-jade

quote workin4alivin:

Kinda like this?!?!?!

OMG – I’ve DONE that drill – talking about messing with your headrofl2rofl2

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: