Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Martial Artist- my style is better than yours

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    raneman

Well I have been sick for the last three weeks with this pnemonia thats going around. Can’t wait to get back to class this week. 🙂

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day when he brought me some groceries and he practices Tae Kwon Do and Judo. We got on the discussion about Krav and one of the first things he said to me was he didn’t understand why I didn’t take something more practical. I laughed(very hard) and explained the principles and stuff I had learned so far just in lvl 1 and he replied that what he takes is better. I asked him better at what? He said “just better”. I can see where any additional knowledge we gain from some other style compliments Krav but why is there so much of a close minded approach to KM by some. Is it lack of knowledge? Or is my friend just a moron? 😀

Funny thing is he said he wanted to spar with me in a couple weeks. I asked him why? He said to see who is better. I told him I already won the fight. He said “what do you mean”. “I am not going to come to fight…its one of the things we learn..why have a fight when you don’t have to” I told him.

raneman

Re: Martial Artist- my style is better than yours

I don’t understand the whole mine is better than yours arguement. Is it just the competitive nature of the different arts? To me everything has its strength and weakness but in the big picture, isn’t the point to go home safe?

blackbelt

I have taken and still teach KARATE/BJJ for 12 years and I will be the first to say KRAV MAGA so much more practicle ,Thats why i started learning it ,as far as whos style is better i say all have there ups and downs but in the end it is all abought going home alive

Tae Kwon Do? Are you serious? I took that for about 6 months for fun after I got out of the Army. I appreciate the showmanship, but the main point of it is for competition. They don’t teach you how to make a man useless to women, break his nose, and give him a very large dental bill in under 2 seconds.

I always appreciate a sparring partner who trains in a different style because it gives me a different perspective and I always learn something new. The thing is, you can’t really spar using Krav Maga in the traditional sense due to the fact that your opponent would probably end up in the hospital. Either that or you’d just have to fake all the strikes.

J-

raneman

Hehe yeah well..he is a good friend I met while in the USMC(first time I met him we got into a fight and ended up at the docs for a few days) so it wouldn’t be the first time lol.

I sent him one of the videos earlier from the video page and he called me to say he didn’t realize KM was that brutal lol.

vwr32

I’m currently suffering from the respiratory thing too. Suxs.

I wouldn’t put too much into it. I have a friend at work like that as well who doesn’t understand why I don’t train in something else (like he did). I think you were right to turn down the offer to spar as a way to establish “krav’s effectiveness”. If he’s really in a position to determine something like that, he’d jump at an opportunity to train in something else. I’d invite him to take a lvl1 class.

He’s just being a friend, wanting another friend to follow the right path imo. Stick to your guns. thumbsup

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Filters Sean filters

giant-killer

quote CJs Dad:

Filters Sean filters

Huh?

mara-jade

quote Raneman:

Well I have been sick for the last three weeks with this pnemonia thats going around. Can’t wait to get back to class this week. 🙂

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day when he brought me some groceries and he practices Tae Kwon Do and Judo. We got on the discussion about Krav and one of the first things he said to me was he didn’t understand why I didn’t take something more practical. I laughed(very hard) and explained the principles and stuff I had learned so far just in lvl 1 and he replied that what he takes is better. I asked him better at what? He said “just better”. I can see where any additional knowledge we gain from some other style compliments Krav but why is there so much of a close minded approach to KM by some. Is it lack of knowledge? Or is my friend just a moron? 😀

Funny thing is he said he wanted to spar with me in a couple weeks. I asked him why? He said to see who is better. I told him I already won the fight. He said “what do you mean”. “I am not going to come to fight…its one of the things we learn..why have a fight when you don’t have to” I told him.

Great you stuck to your guns! I’ve had this conversation too with a relative who just called KM ‘oh it’s just kinda finishing moves’ It’s not worth the hassle. I know I dunno all the other arts my relatives do (TKD,Karate) so why bother arguing? Your friend likes his stuff and you LOVE yoursthumbsup

gwalsh-d92

My yoga is better than yours.

satilan

Ha ha, good job Raneman “I already won”.

Loved it.

You sorta did.

bradm

quote gwalsh:

My yoga is better than yours.

My Tai Chi will beat your yoga — heh, heh, heh,

My dad can beat up your dad!

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

Filters Sean filters

Isn’t this why I haven’t been banned yetrofl2

Raneman,

We humans need to justify the things we do. And we go to wars over these beliefs. My religion is the true path, my politics, my sexual prefrence, my w/o philosophy, my martial art, my morals etc, etc

We end up getting so caught up in the Dogma of what we do that we lose sight of the purpose of it. We lose the focus.

In our enthusiasm for finding something that works for us, we start off wanting to share our wisdom. But something happens to some people they can only see their side. In most cases it becomes contempt without prior or limited investigation. Or worse is based on hearsay.

The problem is we all see things just a bit differently and have different focuses. Thats why there is so many different philosophies.. Whats right for me may not fit your body style,purpose etc

TKD is a system that gets a lot of derision for a variety or reasons. But I’ve met some really hardcore self defense focused TKD and Hapkido guys. Its not the “what” you train, but how you train it.

Judo is a system that I think is one of the most practical. The thing is both these arts shifted focus to a degree toward sport applications. Thats how most teachers teach it. But I’m sure their are some who teach the systems as Reality Based Self Defense. They will be formable systems

Krav is a fundamentaly sound system that focuses on Reality Based concepts. Because of the open endedness of the system, simplicity and sound fundamentals it is extremely adaptable and useful under stress. In fact it focuses on teach students to be aggressive under stress.

Krav is not for everyone, yet it is for everyone. It depends on their focus.

Much of what people read negatively about other systems is simply marketing. If I’m selling kenpo. I’m not gonna tell you ninpo is better. Krav and MMA are today what kung fu was in the 70’s and Ninjitsu was in the 80’s. So their gonna have their detractors from the competition

In the end picking a style comes down to finances, location, class schedule, instructor and focus

When you first start exploring the martial arts you only see the differences. As you get more into it you see how similar the really are. This is because the original purpose of them was survival. Nothing more important, over time thats shifted back and forth again. Most people are too closed minded to see anything other than their limited viewpoint.

Remember we all play the one upsmanship game. Tell a story about having the flu in a group of people. Then sit back and watch the stories of how worse everyone elses wasrofl2

Pick your path and push thru it. Critics are always going to be there sniping. They don’t count. Everybody thinks they can do it better. Don’t get caught up in the pissing contests of my style is better. Its a total waste of time. Look at other systems for what you can learn and steal from them. Imi didthumbsup

mike-g

Good post Mike….Now that the strike is over you should take up that profession too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: