Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Martial Artist- my style is better than yours

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Martial Artist- my style is better than yours

quote mike_g:

Good post Mike….Now that the strike is over you should take up that profession too.

rofl2 I was thinking about that earlier today. I could have wrote a novel. Hopefully it’ll get busy next month. I’m sure there are plenty who can’t wait for me to go back to a more lurking mode

raneman

Thanks Mike,

I definately understand your point. I have participated in competitive sports my entire life so I understand the oneupmanship that happens. Having a healthy discussion with someone about their style or my style or whatever can only help you learn but there seems to be a closemindedness to that in many practitioners. I don’t care what someone says about me or my choice for KM. It works for me, I love it, and I feel it is the best choice for me and my loved ones to go home safe if there is a bad situation. Not just from the drills and techniques but the mental aspect as well.

My friend also happens to be much larger than I am(6’6″ 280 lbs to my 5’6″ 168 lbs) so I wouldn’t necessarily want to spar with him for the reasons that I would have to go for soft spots more to counter size and could have a high success of injury.

He asked me to show him a few things we have learned so far though and now might even be interested in coming to a class(well that was after he tried to choke me last night and I had him on the ground against the wall and away before he registered what happened). I also asked him to show me TKD to maybe pick something up but more to learn how to defend against it. Seems like a fair trade.

Thanks for the support though guys but I am a KM lifer 🙂

kravmdjeff

When you spar him, kick him in the groin. As a former 3rd degree black belt in TKD, most of those guys aren’t ready for that 🙂

Or, invite 3 of your friends, and tell him that according to the principles of Krav Maga, a fair fight is never one you want to be in…if he doesn’t want to fight 3 of you, you win.

Or, bring a gun and point it at him. Tell him that if he trained in Krav, he’d know how to defend against it, but since he’s doing TKD and jiujitsu, he loses again.

But let him know that the 450+ law enforcement agencies in the US that choose to train their guys in Krav Maga probably don’t know what they’re talking about…

Sorry, I have very little tolerence for practitioners that are going to make blanket statements and then try to back them up by a contrived sparring match. It’s what one instructor of mine calls “the myth of the duel.”

raneman

Good ideas Jeff.

I am taking him to class on Saturday with me. He is pretty anxious and said he might start with me and drop his TKD. Our instuctor, Erik, is kinda brutal on Saturday mornings 🙂

He is a beast but a damn good guy and great friend. I have no doubt he will have fun and make the transition to the darkside 🙂

giant-killer

Wow, he went from trashing Krav Maga to not being able to wait to sign up and dropping his own system, all just after a short choke demo? Proves once again that KM rocks! thumbsup

unstpabl1

quote Giant Killer:

Wow, he went from trashing Krav Maga to not being able to wait to sign up and dropping his own system, all just after a short choke demo? Proves once again that KM rocks! thumbsup

He probably has been on the net and everyone was bashing his art. Most people bash tkd with impunity these days. Then they make a bigger mistake and bash korean arts in general. Problem is its not the system but the focus of the instruction. Kenpo as a system is probably a better deeper system than krav but that street focus seems to have disappeared in most schools. Its that focus that makes krav a great system.

Judos that way. most people don’t realize how much judo impacted WWII combatives. WWII combatives impacted krav as thats what the English taught the Jews to fight the Germans. Yet now judo is mostly taught as a sport and self defense tech aren’t taught till Black belt

The guy will either love krav or think its too simple. Basic. Either way doesn’t matter. Why would you wan’t him to know what you know? You 2 best buddies could be fighting over some girl tomorrow.rofl2

raneman

Well believe it or not he was usually my sparring partner in boxing in the USMC and I have never been able to actually hurt the guy. We also horse around play wrestling and stuff like normal guys and because of his shear size my attacking him is usually not effective. For me to put him on the ground and be away in a follow-up attack posture freaked him out lol.

The effectiveness is what made the turn for him I think.

raneman

quote unstpabl1:

He probably has been on the net and everyone was bashing his art. Most people bash tkd with impunity these days. Then they make a bigger mistake and bash korean arts in general. Problem is its not the system but the focus of the instruction. Kenpo as a system is probably a better deeper system than krav but that street focus seems to have disappeared in most schools. Its that focus that makes krav a great system.

Judos that way. most people don’t realize how much judo impacted WWII combatives. WWII combatives impacted krav as thats what the English taught the Jews to fight the Germans. Yet now judo is mostly taught as a sport and self defense tech aren’t taught till Black belt

The guy will either love krav or think its too simple. Basic. Either way doesn’t matter. Why would you wan’t him to know what you know? You 2 best buddies could be fighting over some girl tomorrow.rofl2

Well both of us are married, but I would win out because he is a big ugly mug. 🙂

I am looking forward to having a good partner to train with once we get him hooked lol.

unstpabl1

quote Raneman:

Well both of us are married, but I would win out because he is a big ugly mug. 🙂

I am looking forward to having a good partner to train with once we get him hooked lol.

:dunno: one of my better friends ex wife is now his ex best friends SO. And my buddy gets to pay alimony:banghead: Just to piss him off. But hey he gets to see his kid once in a while

Just teasing yourofl2 Goog luck training

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: