Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Most popular guns for criminals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    seeq-qc

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,320383,00.html

I was noticing the physical differences between a .22 cal and say a 9mm handgun for redirect purposes. For the smaller of the 2 you almost have to aim directly for the trigger guard with your outstretched hand and for the guns with a longer barrel you can essentially just grab the barrel. So then I thought it would be good to know what guns were popular with the armed robbery set.

I came across this article that I thought might make a pretty interesting read for those who want to know what weapon they might likely face if held up at gun point. Reps are always welcome 🙂

CQC

nixxon

Re: Most popular guns for criminals

LOL @ Reps and thier importance to some.

michaelmall

The mossberg 12 a nice shotgun,cheap and reliable.

russell

i dont think criminals have a “choice” it’s what ever they steal from the house they break into! criminals won’t spend good money on a gun when they can buy one from a “homie” on the street! criminals cant own a gun! a convicted felon cant own a gun(in indiana if you have 2 dui’s you cant own a firearm)

as for the bryco,jennings davis debate, yes they are inexpensive weapons, but not every legal law abiding citizen can afford a $500.00 dollar gun, a person on a fixed income should be able to defend themself! in case anybody say’s just call the police, i talked to a cop in my town and they consider 3 minutes a great response time to a 911 call (that’s 3 minutes after the officer get’s the call not the time you call 911) and i live in a small town (100000) a LOT can happen in 180 seconds!

bracius

Its typically anything that is .38 caliber. My take on it would be that it is a small package and still very lethal. They are also very common and thus harder to track down than say a .50 caliber elephant killer.

A .22 is almost a joke to carry around. Its good for killing rabbits but would end up pissing someone off if they got shot by it. If you got shot in the head with a .22 it would knock you out but reckon it would get stuck in your skull.

Listen, this is just my experience with dealing with these people when I used to live in the city. Every city carries its own demographic

bracius

Oh…. they use pistols and not revolvers. The smarter criminals use revolvers so by definition most use pistols.

nate

Most likely if you’re being held up by a common criminal with a pistol, it will not be a snub nose revolver or a cool James Bond PPK where you can’t accurately hit the barrel; it’ll be a regular 9mm or maybe a 45, and you can just grab the barrel and do your technique.

I’ve only had one friend be held up (carjacked) and it was a 9mm as I recall.

seeq-qc

Thanks for a real world take on these stats….thumbsup

michaelmall

The 22 is a dangerous gun,they come in short,longs and magnum.A short may not hurt you a bad but a magnum will.

kirsten

It all pokes a hole in you… some a .50 cal hole, others a 9mm hole, and some lots of pellets. A 22 will kill you the same as a .223 and I have seen it. The 22 cal round was shot from a rifle and entered the mouth, scrambled his brain after bouncing around in the skull for a bit and never exited his body.

The dirtbags steal whatever they can get as a means to get what they want. If you own a gun I hope you own a safe (one bolted down) to store it in when your not home. I can not stress enough the importance of being a responsible gun owner. It’s for everyone’s safety…

bracius

quote Kirsten:

I can not stress enough the importance of being a responsible gun owner.

Standard education down here in Texas 🙂

My son started learning gun safety at age four.

bracius

quote Kirsten:

A 22 will kill you the same as a .223 and I have seen it. The 22 cal round was shot from a rifle and entered the mouth, scrambled his brain after bouncing around in the skull for a bit and never exited his body.

Yeah….it can but it has to be a d@mn good shot. If you can hit all soft tissue then you can do some damage. Eye socket, ear, nasal cavity, and mouth as you pointed out. There there is a LR .22 that can from a pistol but you have to be awful close. Most thugs do the .38 and of course the .45 and 9mm are super popular also. You also have some that use a 20 gauge at 10 feet to shoot their lawyer friend in the face, which is a totally different story.

I think my point, if it really matters, is that I would be more annoyed if a thug pointed a .22 at me. Shows a lack of character and disrespect.

And as for the purposes of this post. Not so. I have a .45 and a .22 that are the same length. They come in several different flavors: 4″ to 6″ and some are even longer. You also have your snub nose which has maybe an inch or so barrel.

blindfold

I think it depends more ont he level of criminal your dealing with. The new kid is just wanting a gun, .22 or .45 doesn’t make him a difference.

The mid level choose the biggest and baddest looking, for intimidation puposes. this way they may not have to shoot at anyone. A person will just give up and that’s it. These people may not even be convicted felons, just trying to be.

The people who are career criminals and know that they are convicted felons, will be going to jail whether they shoot or just get caught are going to be carrying for the fight and ready to go.

A person who is convicted of a felony faces about 10 years under most state or federal laws. So the last group has alot to lose.

michael

Limiting yourself to training against one type of pistol is like learning to defend yourself against only one type of knife attack. Leave out other possibilities at your own peril. I have taken just about any type of firearm away from criminals that you can imagine, and I have seen people shot with just about everything. A .22 normally does not kill quickly, but they will kill just like anything else. I once worked a shooting involving five people shot at one scene with a .22 rifle, and four of them were dead. They didn’t die quickly, but they still died. Dead is dead, regardless of what you are shot with.

Train against all manner of weapons and do not limit yourself.

seeq-qc

quote Michael:

Limiting yourself to training against one type of pistol is like learning to defend yourself against only one type of knife attack. Leave out other possibilities at your own peril. I have taken just about any type of firearm away from criminals that you can imagine, and I have seen people shot with just about everything. A .22 normally does not kill quickly, but they will kill just like anything else. I once worked a shooting involving five people shot at one scene with a .22 rifle, and four of them were dead. They didn’t die quickly, but they still died. Dead is dead, regardless of what you are shot with.

Train against all manner of weapons and do not limit yourself.

Agreed….the info was just something i found interesting and thought the board members might also find interesting, but as to your post…agreed…period, paragraph, end of story, IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: