Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Most popular guns for criminals

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    michael

Re: Most popular guns for criminals

quote seeq_QC:

Agreed….the info was just something i found interesting and thought the board members might also find interesting, but as to your post…agreed…period, paragraph, end of story, IMO.

I understand completely, and it is interesting and good information to have.

paragon

I see some reports–when the media actually reports on the gun–that say it is a “small caliber” gun. Often times it seems to be a .25–making it a short barrel. Little ones conceal better for them–right in a pocket.

I had the same thought when I was taking the Gun Defense seminar. “hmmm,” thinks I. “not all are going to have that nice long barrel.” 🙂

rifle

quote Bracius:

Yeah….it can but it has to be a d@mn good shot. If you can hit all soft tissue then you can do some damage. Eye socket, ear, nasal cavity, and mouth as you pointed out. There there is a LR .22 that can from a pistol but you have to be awful close. Most thugs do the .38 and of course the .45 and 9mm are super popular also. You also have some that use a 20 gauge at 10 feet to shoot their lawyer friend in the face, which is a totally different story.

I think my point, if it really matters, is that I would be more annoyed if a thug pointed a .22 at me. Shows a lack of character and disrespect.

And as for the purposes of this post. Not so. I have a .45 and a .22 that are the same length. They come in several different flavors: 4″ to 6″ and some are even longer. You also have your snub nose which has maybe an inch or so barrel.

Um, no. I have to disagree. .22 are very deadly, regardless of “soft tissue” shot or not.

Case in point: Remember Regan was shot with a whimpy .22…..and nearly died with a punctured lung, not to mention James Brady being struck in the head and putting him in a wheelchair and partially paralyzed, all from a little pea-shooter .22. If it wasn’t for on-call superior medical teams, both probably would have died.

The .22 was also a preferred ctg for the Mafia. It was small, light, cheap, held a lot of ammo, and was very deadly. Also, the .22 wins out, unfortunatly, as the most used round for murders. However, IIRC, it was one of the military ctgs that logs the most deaths. (7.62x54R?)

Never underestimate the power of a .22lr, or any round for that matter. Duh.

That being said, the .22 would NOT be a good choice for a defensive caliber….

Rifle

michael

I’ve seen a guy take a .22 round right between the eyes and suffer nothing more than a headache, and I’ve seen multiple people in one shooting die from a .22. Any round can kill, though some do them quicker and more efficiently than others.

Many of the thugs that I dealt with in the inner city projects when I patrolled as a cop there carried Raven .25 autos. Very cheap, and easily carried and concealed without a holster. I work a more rural area now as a Deputy and see different types of weapons than I did when working the inner city, but the possibilities of coming up against any type of weapon are there. Train for that.

bracius

quote Rifle:

Um, no. I have to disagree. .22 are very deadly, regardless of “soft tissue” shot or not.

Case in point: Remember Regan was shot with a whimpy .22…..and nearly died with a punctured lung, not to mention James Brady being struck in the head and putting him in a wheelchair and partially paralyzed, all from a little pea-shooter .22. If it wasn’t for on-call superior medical teams, both probably would have died.

The .22 was also a preferred ctg for the Mafia. It was small, light, cheap, held a lot of ammo, and was very deadly. Also, the .22 wins out, unfortunatly, as the most used round for murders. However, IIRC, it was one of the military ctgs that logs the most deaths. (7.62x54R?)

Never underestimate the power of a .22lr, or any round for that matter. Duh.

That being said, the .22 would NOT be a good choice for a defensive caliber….

Rifle

Need to call something out here

quote bracius:

There there is a LR .22 that can from a pistol but you have to be awful close

I’m not saying that a .22 cannot kill someone. I know my ordinance, its velocity, and capable distances, mass, and such. I know that it has more [skin] piercing power than high caliber ordinance. However, it is less likely to travel through dense material, such as bone. It is also less likely to cause tissue damage from its traveling velocity and thus less likely to cause mass tissue damage.

My point that I had hoped to make was that a small caliber .22 is less of a threat than a .38 and higher. You have a higher chance to survive .22 simply due to its lack of mass…UNLESS its a “good shot” and gets a vital organ (like any other caliber for that matter).

I get the feeling that a few of you have read my posts and came away with a statement that a .22 is not going to kill you. :thunbsdown:

Its simply not true. A .22 can kill you…..heck a cork from a champagne bottle has been known to kill.

To summarize: I made the statement, that in my experince with my past dealings with the people in question, that most carry .38 caliber. Then its 9mm and the margin between all the categories is pretty slim. There really is no favorite. Its pretty much a use what you can get black market.

Further, I made the statement that a .22 can kill but your chances for surviving a .22 is far greater than any other caliber. And, as always, there are factors to consider. Yes, and .22LR can be just a lethal as a 9mm if in the right hands. Sorry, a .22 is not going to pierce your skull at 100ft. At least I’ve never seen anything to support that.

bracius

Maybe I should clarify a bit more.

I think the number I have in my head is close but you have something like a 78% chance if not being struck in a vital organ from a gun shot. What kills most people is the concussion type damage that is done to the vital organs from a gun shot. a 9mm or .45 is what does a lot of that type of damage. The sheer velocity and mass of a 9mm hitting your rib cage is probably enough to rupture your heart.

That is where I am coming from on my .22 caliber statement. And as Michael pointed out, you can buy different ammo for a .22 that can make it just as deadly as a 9mm (having eagle talons in mind).

seeq-qc

….getting a hell of a firearms and ordinance education here…good stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: