Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge motorcycles vs suv road rage in NY

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    don

Re: motorcycles vs suv road rage in NY

Dunno if I’ve shared this before but I got my first sportbike in 1989. Worked at a Honda Kawasaki dealership (parts & service) for 3 years in the early/mid 90’s. It’s been pretty frustrating to see how the sport/hobby has changed over the years – a LOT more aholes, squids, idiots, and straight up thugs/POSes riding around these days. Then again, I also think there are just more aholes, squids, idiots, and straight up thugs/POSes around in general these days… 😡

don

http://nypost.com/2013/10/04/undercover-cop-stood-by-as-bikers-beat-dad/

Title is very misleading – ASSuming this story is true and there were off-duty LEOs riding with those POSes (NOT working UC to infiltrate that bunch of hoodlums), that’s what we get when we lower hiring standards and recruit from crappy candidate pools – more aholes, squids, idiots, and straight up thugs/POSes in LEO ranks these days too. Pathetic.

tech94

The driver was on the west side highway. He got off the highway and got caught at a traffic light. His best weapon was his SUV. you can see early on in the video that the motorcycle rider deliberately tries to slow or stop the SUV by slowing I front of him and he bumped that guy. I’m sure some anger played a part in the incident. I live in a suburb of NYC and bikers do have a tendency to slow traffic behind them to do stupid stunts. Could’ve easily just let the bikers pass him by and avoided the situation. I have a wife and two small kids, I’d never put them at risk like that. Sometimes you have to put your ego in check and decide to descalate and defuse. Once he was already in the mix, he made a mistake by getting off the highway. Can’t outrun the bikes in a SUV but had a better chance to get police to you in time. Bad situation all around. I would’ve been running dudes over in my SUV too. Doors would’ve been locked and I would’ve done all I could to not be dragged out of truck. Put him in a bad defensive position. I would’ve been swinging with any improvised weapon I had at hand.

catapult

quote :

Could’ve easily just let the bikers pass him by and avoided the situation.

Maybe yes, maybe no. It looked to me like he was targeted. The video starts with the bikes sitting off the road. When the ($$) Range Rover passed by they pulled out after it. Coincidence?

And now Gloria Allred saw a chance to get her face on TV again and is representing the injured biker. Yikes!

tech94

I’ve only seen the video start where the rider is slowing down in front of the SUV and glancing back at him. I wouldn’t have gotten off the highway. Manhattan streets are bogged down with traffic and street lights, narrow roadways etc, leave few options for evasion. Can’t outrun the bikes but can certainly keep moving. Standing still is sitting duck maneuver.. Can’t win that.

sch-thurston

Just a terrible incident all the way around. It does seem as if the preponderance of evidence suggests some sort of coordinated attack, perhaps a robbery. The more I read the more confused/angry/horrified I get. Reading this thread has been informative, so thanks to all for your thoughts so far. Fwiw here’s where I’ve got to at this point:

1. I’m sticking it in the general “gang” category based purely on the numbers, and gangs don’t operate with the same principles or rules as individuals. So my first thought is to try to identify (group) behavior that suggests a situation may be developing. Is it a coincidence that there are five bikes/trucks/black SUVs all speeding up behind me, or are they related? If I can discern a relationship then I’m going to modify my behavior immediately. This may be as simple as moving out of the way as best I can, coming off at the next exit, or whatever makes sense for me to be out of sight and mind of the large group. (When I was a student in London, “steaming” was quite a popular tactic for theft on the Tube. Same basic principles about determining relationships between people who may be seeking to do mischief, although obviously the actionable steps differ depending on circumstances.)

2. I’m really, really gonna finally install the dash cam I bought a few months ago. Doesn’t help in the moment but may well help for a lawsuit or for evidence in a criminal defense. Thankfully one of the bikers saw fit to undermine his group’s best interests by posting his video on the internet where it was grabbed before he could realize his mistake.

3. If #1 fails and I am down to action then it’s time to use the car as a weapon and hope that evidence from #2 can help me in the legal and administrative poo that will follow. Even without criminal charges, Mr Lien is going to be dealing with this issue for a decade at least. (I know this because I am still dealing with a fender-bender from 2009! Lucky for me I took stills that support my case, a dash cam might have helped me even more.)

Looking forward to hearing more thoughts from others. This really does look like the proverbial Worst Case Scenario.

kms1974

Well, if it were me I would have used the SUV same way.
    Since getting a concealed carry license for firearms in those states is next to impossible. I would have at least a good pocket knife. (carry a good pocket knife everywhere you can)

Once they attempted to drag me out of the vehicle I would be slashing and stabbing any attackers.

I heard on the news tonight that 911 wasn’t a whole lot of help. His wife called them 4 times so they obviously didn’t stay on the phone with her.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: