Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jdawgmcb

For the summer, I needed something to do as I will be running into a lot of spare time.

I vow to lift weights 4-5 times a week in conjunction with strict krav maga training 4 days a week as offered by my class.

In my spare time I will read and understand all of the moves that are part of the krav maga level one discipline.

I have been in krav for a little over 2 months now, and by the time the summer is over it will have been closer to five.

Do you guys think this is sufficient enough to pass a level one test? I have adopted krav as a new way of life, and i want to get more and more of it…bring on level 2 🙂 (but not until i pass level one)

mara-jade

Re: My Summer time vow

Just depends on how much training and time you put into it. I know there’s a few benchmarks in the KM Complete book but those aren’t set in stone. Some learn faster than others, others need a little more time.

Just remember, it’s not a race:wav:

maddogmean

I would say get a sufficient amount of cardio workouts in addition to the strength training. You’re going to need the cardio to get you through the test.

I just want to throw out there that this concept of “spare time” is pretty foreign to me and sounds pretty cool… I’m truly jealous…

But that goal sounds completely reasonable with good instruction:)

alfakrav

Great that you are dedicating so much time, however, with any good workout you need rest periods as well. When you do your weight lifting are you just lifting weights or are you doing more “Krav Specific” type lifting, sprawls followed up by knees, medicine ball throws/slams, and cleaning up footwork with jump rope drills, etc… they key is not to over train but to smartly train for purpose. after almost 7 yrs in krav and getting to train with some of the best out there I have really tried and varied alot to the point where I have come up with my own personal system of workouts that helps my style of krav very well. Aggressive/burst with functionality. Basically do what works for you but don’t be afraid to deviate or improvise alot as well

Jeremy

aviatordave

Sounds like you’re committing yourself to overtraining and burnout. 5 days of weightlifting will lead to no progress, unless you are using “gear”, especially if you’re adding cardio and Krav on top of that. 3-4 days of weightlifting per week will likely give much better results. If you do a 3 day split, go for S-T-Th or MWF, for 4 day splits do something like Mon-Tues, Th-Fri. Depending on how intense your KM classes are, those may give enough cardio. Mine vary between what is light and only moderate intensity for me, so the days I lift, I only lift. On the days I have KM class, I also do either HIIT for cardio or will sometimes run steady state, but still at a high intensity.

You don’t gain strength or size when you’re lifting, gains are made when you rest. And if you’re doing KM or HIIT cardio when you’re not lifting, then you’ll never have any recovery take place. And you’ll also be setting yourself up for joint or connective tissue injury.

I agree that there is potential for overtraining in this plan, but I don’t agree that it is guaranteed. If workouts are split properly among body parts and types of exercises, there’s no reason a person can’t lift weights 4-5 times a week safely. It’s not something I would recommend figuring out by trial and error though. If you are new to weight training or exercise in general, find someone in your school that has experience or better yet if you can afford it find a personal trainer that focuses on athletic performance and get some good advice tailored to your goals so you can make the most of your time this summer.

saruotoko

I’ve gotta tell you, I’m with Fred on this one. I haven’t had spare time since 2006, but since YOU do, JDawg, DO IT! 🙂

aviatordave

So is that the goal? To lift as many days as possible, and then pick some combination of exercises that lets you meet that goal of lifting 5 days a week? Or is the goal to get as strong/big/fast/most endurance as possible? Sure, I could do it safely. I’ve done 4 day splits before. But 5 days plus 4 days of KM? For someone who’s just getting started? Millions of people do this every year. It usually lasts about 2 or 3 weeks, starting Jan 1. They are the throngs of “New Year’s Resolutioners” you see hogging the squat racks with endles sets of arm curls. Of course it depends a lot on what kind of weight training you’re doing, how many muscle groups you hit in one workout, what your goals are, what volume, intensity, or loading you’re using, etc.

Regardless, my point is that lifting a certain number of days a week is not a goal. You’re better off picking a performance goal and then figuring out how many days you need to meet that goal. Sometimes less is more.

Here’s a question for you jdawgmcb: what is your goal for your weight training? Are you trying to get huuuuge, strong, or ripped? (Most guys with “lots of free time in the summer” have some of these as a goal.)

jdawgmcb

I have dedicated my diet for krav maga (im on a strict bodybuilding diet…eggs, tuna, oatmeal, etc…no fatty foods…3000-3500 calories a day)

So far its been going pretty good, in three months time I should have learned a lot.

jdawgmcb

quote AviatorDave:

Sounds like you’re committing yourself to overtraining and burnout. 5 days of weightlifting will lead to no progress, unless you are using “gear”, especially if you’re adding cardio and Krav on top of that. 3-4 days of weightlifting per week will likely give much better results. If you do a 3 day split, go for S-T-Th or MWF, for 4 day splits do something like Mon-Tues, Th-Fri. Depending on how intense your KM classes are, those may give enough cardio. Mine vary between what is light and only moderate intensity for me, so the days I lift, I only lift. On the days I have KM class, I also do either HIIT for cardio or will sometimes run steady state, but still at a high intensity.

You don’t gain strength or size when you’re lifting, gains are made when you rest. And if you’re doing KM or HIIT cardio when you’re not lifting, then you’ll never have any recovery take place. And you’ll also be setting yourself up for joint or connective tissue injury.

I weightlifted all 4 years of high school and competed on the powerlifting team (state level)…5 days isn’t too much (especially when the workouts are shorter) I am watching for overtraining and when I think that it would be more beneficial to stay at home, i do. I did take a little break from lifting though – so i have to get back into it.

and i have spare time because now that im out of high school there really isn’t much to do except the little work i do get and stuff like krav maga.

Well jdawg, I think with the weightlifting experience you have, you should know your body pretty well at this point. I agree with Dave that lifting weights a certain number of times a week isn’t a goal, but you never said that it was. But he does have a point that it is helpful to quantify your goals…. even if it just means saying that you want to use the free time you have available to you this summer to get into the best physical shape you can while learning Krav to the point that you can pass the level one test. If powerlifting is your background, you may want to focus more on cardio than lifting… depending on what you decide your ultimate goals are…

aviatordave

Ok, now that’s very helpful information. Experience makes a huge difference on selecting a training regimen. And yes, if you split it up into shorter workouts, you could do it on more days. I completely change my entire routine every 6 weeks, the one I’m on now is every other day regardless of the day of the week. Lift one day, HIIT the next. So go for it – Eat, lift, sleep, and grow!

(That’s always my problem – not enough sleep!)

quote AviatorDave:

(That’s always my problem – not enough sleep!)

I think that one applies to most of us….:dunno:

peterako

I have read somewhere(perhaps from a different forum, if not from this one) that lifting weights and building muscle becomes a bit counteractive concerning Krav. The people having the discussion noticed it decreased flexibility as well as agility, which are both important aspects of the self-defense style.

Just something to think about. It is also completely possible that individuals will react to muscle gain much differently. However, I’m sure I would prefer a leaner, more agile body than rather pack the pounds into one that is bigger yet slower.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: