Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    freelancer

Due to family and financial reasons; after finishing 3/4 of level one I am unable to continue. My trining is relegated to bag work, weight lifiting, and movement drills in the garage which actually provides a good work out but obviously I’m not getting in much sparring/ pluck practice or ground work.

My question…how effective would book DVD training be. With out a partner I know much of this will be extremely difficult.. Any input ot Ideas?

lotar

Training with a DVD is better than nothing. If you plan a routine it can be a good way of training in you circumstances.
    Good luck.

Lotar

anonymous

You can practice on your own. Watch the DVD’s, then slowly go through the movements. Do a lot of repetitions, imagine your opponent (they actually do this in the videos). If you have a mirror to watch yourself doing the technique, that would help, too.

Of course, at some point you should do this with an actual partner, maybe a friend? But doing the movements on your own will at least ensure that you won’t forget them.

clfmak

Bag work and weight lifting is a good foundation. Getting a BOB (body opponent bag) may be a good option. If you can find them, try looking into Carl Cestari’s videos- its not krav maga, but its very similar and the main idea is to develop powerful nonspecific techniques for self defense so a partner is not as important. If you’re good at hammering targets with ax hands, palm strikes, shoulders, headbutts, elbows, punches, knees and kicks, you don’t need to develop sophisticated leverages to release grabs and holds- just hit them hard where they are open. BOB is good for providing a realistic target and allows lots of the angles you can’t get on a heavy bag. Attack Proof has lots of good drills as well, but to get the most out of it a partner is necessary.

Martial arts is always very hard without a partner- you can make everything look really good in the air, but other people are necessary. If its a finantial thing, you could probably find a club, perhaps at a college, that teaches boxing or judo or some similar discipline for cheaper than a conventional studio. Its not krav maga, but you will be working with a resisting opponent, and if you decide its not for you it may be a good place to find someone who will work with you on more self defense oriented training.

mara-jade

I won’t repeat too much of what the others have said since it’s all good 😀 .

The DVDs are very good but if you can get a friend to be your ‘fight buddy’ that would certainly help 🙂

Dunno if you’ve seen it here but someone posted a link to a new KM book coming out in November by Darren Levine and John Whitman. You can preorder at overstock and the price is very reasonable (plus they ship cheaper than amazon 😀 ).

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=2044589

Good luck in your training!

freelancer

Thanks for the replies. Mara Jade (Isn’t that a star wars character?) I did see the info on the book and I will defenitely be getting it.

I think I’ll be holding off on the DVD’s for a while as I’m not sure that I would get all that much more out of them than the book, we’ll see. The issue with training at a facility is funds as well as day care for my baby as I watch him during the day until my wife gets home then I go to work. I may have found a solution though, If it works out I’ll let you know.

CLFMak/Giantkiller – I agree. My routine now is M-W-F weights and Tu-Th-S bag work. As far as the bag work goes I’m trying to get back into the swing of things after being out of all this for about six months now. Basicly I start out with jump rope, movement forward back side to side to get warmed up. Go through all the strikes (I can remember) jabsL/R, straight punches, combos, hammer fists, all the elbows, knees, front kicks, side kicks round house kicks.

After practicing all these strikes I’ll set a timer and do three rounds of two minutes each. I started out with one and will work my way up in time as I get my wind back. I try not to be too concious about what I do during the \”rounds\” but at the same time try to incorporate all the srikes within the three rounds. Also like Giantkiller said i’m trying to visualize an opponent when striking the bag. As much as I’m having fun in the garage doing this I hope that soon I’ll be able to get back on the mats.

clfmak

Seeing as how you’re training on your own, this may be a good time into researching and developing other tools. This is why I mention Carl Cestari. Also look into John Perkins and Matt Hatmaker. There’s some good things to supplement into your striking that might not be pure krav maga- poppers, hip whips, various shoulder strikes, headbutts, chops, thunderclaps, crams, pick offs, tool destructions… the list goes on and on, and between all of these things and the fundamentals you described, you could spend a very long time mastering these before getting to a training partner.

One drill that works well if you’re aiming to get all your strikes in as you mentioned is to add a new tool/range into each additional roud. For instance, I’ll start with a round of punches only. Then I’ll add in forearm and elbow strikes the next round. Then add in hand, forearm, elbow and shoulder strikes, then throw headbutts into the mix, then knees the next round, then kicks with the shin, then kicks (at this point, all of your tools have been developed). You can start at different points- sometimes start from a clinch range with elbows, then elbows and poppers, then elbows, poppers, and shoulder strikes, then elbow, popper, shoulder, head, then you add in knees (and some people add in certain kicks from the clinch- inside edge of shoe kicks into the shin, heel kicks to the back of the leg, etc).

anonymous

If you are on the heavy bag, you could also try to go for about half an hour or longer without any break at all. It’s exhausting, also psychologically interesting, knowing once you start you won’t be able to relax for a long time. It’s great for conditioning.

For the KM stuff, maybe you can have a friend come over to practice with you?

bradm

Or, work out with the Bas tapes on the bag.

clfmak

There’s some interesting stuff I’ve been incorporating into some of my bag work. Here’s some ideas to play with:
    1. Sometimes I throw an old pair of shoes under my heavy bag for when I work on clinch tools. This allows a target for foot stomps (I always wear shoes during bag work- this might not be a good idea barefoot).
    2. Tie some old cothing items near the top of the bag as an option for grabbing and pulling- this adds a new dimension to striking. Recently I’ve wanted to try rigging up some bike inner tubes after seeing them used in karate for the same purpose as above, but haven’t been able to because my bag ripped.

anonymous

Oh, no wonder the bag keeps ripping. You are abusing it! 😆

freelancer

My bag has a frame but I know what you mean. I grab the back two chains simulating a persons neck when I do knees and have noticed wear.

mara-jade

Re:

quote \”Freelancer\:

Thanks for the replies. Mara Jade (Isn’t that a star wars character?) I did see the info on the book and I will defenitely be getting it.

VERY GOOD 😀 . You’re the only one who’s asked me that 😀 . Yup, the Emperor’s hand who’s supposed to kill Luke Skywalker. She’s now a Jedi Master, married Luke Skywalker and they have a son, Ben

I hope the book comes out early – waiting anxiously 🙂

g-v

For a good, functional workout on the bag, two words: Bas’s tapes.

As for self defense training, work on combos, pre-emptive strikes from a neutral stance, …run all sorts of scenarios in your head of what you may encounter and work on the most efficient solution to them.

anonymous

\”She’s now a Jedi Master, married Luke Skywalker and they have a son, Ben.\”

I don’t know why, but for some reason that sounds funny. 😆

Hey mara, this reminds me, didn’t John write some Star Wars novels? You could maybe read those while you are waiting for the other book to come out. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: