Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    jaeroo

Workouts w/o a Partner

-shadowboxing
    -heavybag (includes stick/knife/pistolwhipping/punching and kicking) drills
    -grappling dummy (takedowns/submissions/ground strikes/throws)
    -speedbag
    -double-end bag
    -jumproping (for footwork)
    -functional fitness training including plyometrics and old-school workouts (ex.=rope climbing/sandbag lifts)
    -ukemi (breakfalls/rolls) drills
    -solo knife/stick drills

*Another less costly way is to look for and take advantage of combat seminars (ex.=Krav Maga) that maximize cross training in a short amount of time as well as get a chance to train with different partners of different backgrounds. Training videos/books are good too but some techniques require a partner. Crisis rehearsal/visualization also help too but they can never replace actual training.

mara-jade

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

\”She’s now a Jedi Master, married Luke Skywalker and they have a son, Ben.\”

I don’t know why, but for some reason that sounds funny. 😆

Hey mara, this reminds me, didn’t John write some Star Wars novels? You could maybe read those while you are waiting for the other book to come out. 😀

There are some books by John Whitman (took a quick search over on amazon) but those all can’t be his(over 100 books popped up) 😀

I’m rereading the Han Solo Trilogy so I don’t go buying new SW ones. There’s a cool Boba Fett one out but I’ll just wait (Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force))

anonymous

Hey, you are right, I checked, over 100!

I’d assume they are all his, can there be two authors with the same name? I’m not sure. I saw some Star Wars ones, one was listed from 0.14 cents. You really can’t go wrong there, especially an apparent Star Wars junkie such as yourself. So go ahead, dig in, enjoy! 8)

mara-jade

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Hey, you are right, I checked, over 100!

I’d assume they are all his, can there be two authors with the same name? I’m not sure. I saw some Star Wars ones, one was listed from 0.14 cents. You really can’t go wrong there, especially an apparent Star Wars junkie such as yourself. So go ahead, dig in, enjoy! 8)

Actually I’m enjoying re-reading the Han Solo Trilogy again. Remembering how Boba Fett and Solo first met, how Han met Lando. You know by this point Han already saved Chewbacca and Han’s been kicked out of the Imperial Academy and smuggling. Good rereads 🙂

anonymous

Re:

quote \”mara_jade\:

Actually I’m enjoying re-reading the Han Solo Trilogy again. Remembering how Boba Fett and Solo first met, how Han met Lando. You know by this point Han already saved Chewbacca and Han’s been kicked out of the Imperial Academy and smuggling. Good rereads 🙂

Huh?? 😕 😆

clfmak

Good ideas from Jaeroo. I’ve always been skeptical about those grappling dummies. Takedowns and submissions aren’t the same without a partner. Any thoughts on how a grappling dummy improves your grappling?

Another aspect of fitness: check out Matt Furey’s book combat conditioning (the videos aren’t really necessary). There’s tons of good exercises, and there’s bound to be some that you like (or dislike). Crossfit is also good.

quote :

Oh, no wonder the bag keeps ripping. You are abusing it!

The way I had my bag rigged up would not cause more wear than simply striking it.

freelancer
    quote :

-grappling dummy (takedowns/submissions/ground strikes/throws)
    quote :

Good ideas from Jaeroo. I’ve always been skeptical about those grappling dummies. Takedowns and submissions aren’t the same without a partner. Any thoughts on how a grappling dummy improves your grappling?

I had never seen a grappling dummy till I looked at one on the web after these posts, interesting. I also saw this http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/grappled2.html

Got me thinking as to how I might incorporate this into some workouts. I’m no grappler but using this as a striking/takedown dummy seems like an interesting idea.

PS Why are my quotes and hyper links all jacked up?

mara-jade

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

quote \”mara_jade\:

Huh?? 😕 😆

The books have background into all the star wars characters that you WON’T get by watching the movies 😀

anonymous

Hmmm, I must be somewhat \”ignorant\” about Star Wars. I guess I should be reading the books. 😉

CLFMak,

I’ve never used a grappling dummy, but I have sometimes worked on ground fighting moves with the BOB bag. I’d take it to the ground and get side mounted for example, trying to put as much of my weight as possible into the right spot. You could also work on moving from one side to the other, without taking your weight off his chest. There are some chokes to try, for arm bars, you would have to imagine the arms of course, but you could still work on quickly moving your body to get into the correct position.

You could also put a shirt on BOB for arms, for legs, they have these strange bendable things at the NTC, no idea what they are used for, but they can be made to kind of look like a bent leg and when you put them in front of BOB’s body, you can play around with knee bars. Overall, if you use your imagination, you can practice some good, basic moves that way.

clfmak

I’ve done some bagwork on the ground, and have found some stuff I like. From a mount or side mount. I practice weighing down with my palm, then explosively dropping the elbow/forearm of the same arm. Other punches, hand strikes, elbow strikes, shoulder spears etc come to mind. Knees from side control or scarf hold work well. But I don’t train these things very often.

kravjeff

Tons of good advice here! Another thing you might add to your bag repertoire is practicing defenses (e.g., inside and 360 degree defense) while simultaneously countering. This will keep that \”muscle memory\” up for those not so natural movements.

$0.02

anonymous

BOB can be used for practicing strikes from the ground, too. You can get mounted on him and then strike down, or put him in your guard and hit him from there. Or do knees and elbows from the side mount.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: