Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

Re: Non IKMF students

I understand your point but like Rick said that course was 6 weeks,6 days a week of training, 8 hrs a day(what I heard).
    The course itself was designed specifically to get you to a high level as quickly as possible which is why it was so intense. Remember 23 students were in the course and only 3 passed as instructors and green belts.
    The whole first week was just 360 defense. Remember how sore your arms were when you learned 360 and trained it for 20mins? Imagine a week of that and 8hours a day. Alan said his arms were no long black and blue..just black and nothing could diminish the pain.
    The average KM school and class is designed for recreational training. So you are not going to see that level of intensity or the high level of instruction as you would get from Imi, Eyal Yanilov,Eli Avikzar, Reuvin Maimon, Shaike Barak being your teachers everyday and pushing you.

As I typed that and I cringe at feeling the pain and discomfort they felt..I am also jealous when I think of how lucky they were to get such high level training from the best instructors all working together under one organization.

quote rickprado:

It was actually 6 weeks, training upwards of 6 hours a day with Imi and his top instructors at the time, some of who are known worldwide, as heads of various organizations.
    bear34

Ultimately, I believe that progression should be at the discretion of the instructor. If someone needs a month or they need a year, I don’t believe arbitrary time limits should come into play.

I was not ready to test by the way, so this isn’t just a sour grapes thing.

don

quote CJs Dad:

I just spit some of my tea out.

Let me recant a conversation with an “instructor” from another organization.

“whats with the Black Belt, last I checked you were a green belt and didn’t pass the Alliance phase level 1 course”

Him: “My schools not with Alliance anymore and its honorary because I’m a “Black Belt instructor”

“so let me get this straight, you’ve tested to green belt but you WEAR a black when you teach even though you have zero instructor training?”

Him: “Im the head instructor at McDojo Krav Maga, GM Douchebag gave it to me”

Recently I’ve heard he’s no longer teaching or training

I am a chain belt in kung fu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_ydH4B-18

kevinmack

I agree too…somewhat. As I said above..if someone comes to me with previous experience or picks things up like a prodigy..I will promote them quicker. I tell my students that when I explain the belt system. We have our min requirements but I reserve the right to promote as I see fit.
    I can get away with this though because I teach 90% of my classes. If I had a school that had 30 classes a week with multiple instructors it might be hard to judge a students abilities. This was a minor issue I had at my school. I have the beginner classes as my entry class Mon/tues/wed. I dont teach the tuesday class but I had students that would come mainly tues and sometimes other days and I had no idea what their skill level was so I did something that other schools dont do….for most schools who wear belts no one wears white belts. You usually dont start wearing a belt till you test for yellow. So I have students wear their white belts and we use a 4 stripe system.Since we had students in the beginners class who have been there 6 days and some for 4 months. The stripes allow us to know where you are and to let us know when you are ready for the yellow belt test. You do not test for stripes they are given. They are given by any of the black belt instructors and the two instructors I certified. This also allows me to train those two instructors on how to judge a students skill level.I can see why they gave a stripe and if its deserved. That way when it comes time to run their own schools or to give our colored belt ranks they have been properly trained and I didnt lose anything from it.
    Training your instructors on how to see what rank someone is at is also a skill that needs to be taught.
    But this is just my thoughts on the subject. I own one small school in the realm of things so none of this really affects you guys. But I think this stuff is importnt to me as an instructor and my students in the student/teacher relationship. Its why I refused to work with a famous instructor who wanted us to join his group be cause part of the agreement would be that I could no longer promote. I would have to bring him in a cpl times a year to test my students nd it would cost them. Call me old fashioned but I think its better to have a student be promoted by the teacher that taught them every day not someone who sees them one or two days a year.

quote bear34:

Ultimately, I believe that progression should be at the discretion of the instructor. If someone needs a month or they need a year, I don’t believe arbitrary time limits should come into play.

I was not ready to test by the way, so this isn’t just a sour grapes thing.

unstpabl1

quote Don:

:D:

rickprado

quote KevinMack:

As I typed that and I cringe at feeling the pain and discomfort they felt..I am also jealous when I think of how lucky they were to get such high level training from the best instructors all working together under one organization.

I think about that pretty often and wonder if I would’ve been able to make it. It’s no small accomplishment given the attendees.

kmman

I agree with a minimum number of classes to qualify. It should be something that shows consistency and dedication. Beyond that, your progression should be recognized by your instructor. If they need a 4 hour exam to see if you know your stuff, they either arent paying attention during the 50 classes you just went to, they arent teaching those classes, or the school is too big.

Using the BJJ analogy, its pretty impossible to advance without the daily interaction with your instructor. Theres no need for some BS test if you are training your butt off.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Don:

LOL that’s a classic~

unstpabl1

quote KMMAN:

I agree with a minimum number of classes to qualify. It should be something that shows consistency and dedication. Beyond that, your progression should be recognized by your instructor. If they need a 4 hour exam to see if you know your stuff, they either arent paying attention during the 50 classes you just went to, they arent teaching those classes, or the school is too big.

Using the BJJ analogy, its pretty impossible to advance without the daily interaction with your instructor. Theres no need for some BS test if you are training your butt off.

Tests have 2 purposes one is revenue…and like all things theres good and bad to that…the bad is a tkd school that tests ya every three months to keep the money train coming in…on the other hand is the good where the tests help keep the gym doors open by providing r a cash flow..thats business and an instructors has overhead and needs to eat

the other purpose of a test is pressure testing and from a students perspective can be a very important part of our growth…. I’ve seen guys with awesome technique choke a test simple because everyone was watching them and there was something on the line…its the same thing as putting a guy in like a MT Smoker…he’s been sparring for a year and its fun…put him in a ring in front of an audience and there is no cardio and technique falls apart..and that pretty much happens to everyone….learning how to deal with performance anxiety is a part of all this

In a system like krav the test is the closet thing there is to safely heightening the stakes…..yeah if you train in a smaller type school your instructor knows your skill…and he can see how you apply it in the comfortable surroundings of your school playing with your friends but there really are no stakes for you in that…your not really fighting for something

That’s also why some bjj schools require competing to advancement

lions2011

Well, bear. are you going to try another martial art maybe. Maybe MT or BJJ. If you feel you have “leveled off” too much it is probably time to move on.

How long have you been at your KM school for. Thanks.

bear34

quote lions2011:

Well, bear. are you going to try another martial art maybe. Maybe MT or BJJ. If you feel you have “leveled off” too much it is probably time to move on.

How long have you been at your KM school for. Thanks.

I might start boxing. I have no interest in BJJ at my age.

Hopefully my school will start a G-Level class soon.

lions2011

You may find Boxing to be EXTREMELY BORING!!!!. What makes Krav fun is their is always such variety. While boxing is just punches and more punches and some foot work and defense. Big YAWNNNN.

wds2

quote lions2011:

You may find Boxing to be EXTREMELY BORING!!!!. What makes Krav fun is their is always such variety. While boxing is just punches and more punches and some foot work and defense. Big YAWNNNN.

Yep, nothing is as boring like someone trying to take your head off.

kmyoshi

I love boxing but one thing I do not like is when I bob and weave, I sometimes bring my head too low. If this were a fight situation, I could be opening myself up for a knee to the head.

kevinmack

poise,posture and presence. Its not just for actors and debutantes.

“The relative height stays the same”
    – Alan Feldman
    Learn it!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: