Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    govinda

As above,Whats mostly favoured ? some instructors I know frown upon punching, yet I see punching in various site adverts for KM, mostly USA ? Do you teach punching or open hand ?

mara-jade

Re: Open Hand or Punch

Are you referring to emphasizing punching or palm strikes (open hand)? KM teaches both and when to use either – depends on situation. My palm strikes are way stronger than my punches so that’s my preference.

riken

My instructor has shown us both but I prefer palm strikes. I have to turn my hips and torso a little more to reach my target and in doing so my sparing partners feel my palm strike is stronger than my punch. So just like Mara I use open hands more.

night-robin

I feel like my palm strikes give me more power in my strikes without sacrificing any speed. I wasn’t keen on them when I started Krav but now I prefer to do them more than punches.

stephx777

Personally, I prefer to punch. Something about palm strikes just feels awkward.

night-robin

quote Stephx777:

Personally, I prefer to punch. Something about palm strikes just feels awkward.

They did for me too at first. Once, I even hit the pad slightly wrong and my entire forearm and hand went numb. That nearly soured me on Palm strikes altogether, but I persevered and prefer palm strikes now.

bradm

I think palm strikes are just as effective as closed fists, but with much less chance of injuring your hand. I saw a video of one of Bas Ruten’s fights and he knocked his opponent out with open hand punches.

night-robin

I believe Pancrase bans closed handed strikes. One of my instructors says he has seen more KOs is Pancrase with Palm strikes than in UFC with anything. I just feel that Palm strikes are just as effective as closed handed punches if not better. It more than likely depends on the person, but I’m leaning more toward Palms as my training advances. Funny, because I never figured I would like throwing palm strikes. Or knees for that matter. Now I use both regularly.

andy-m

I teach both open and closed strikes. One of the basic application of Krav Maga principles involves soft on hard, hard on soft e.g. closed fist on soft targets, open hand/palm on harder targets.

As as an aside, I think that context has a key role to play in choosing which method to emphasise. In the military context, we would normally emphasise the open palm, one reason being all the hard equipment people wear. You can still have considerable impact on someone by using a palm strike on body armour or helmet; however, if you hit that sort of thing with a closed fist you are in real trouble.

Sorry I don’t have time to elaborate more, but I have to dash.

Cheers,

Andy

kior

I quite like palm strikes but it seems a lot harder to do a hook or an uppercut without making a fist so I find a closed fist more versatile in that respect

dirty-harry

I like both, and mix both up in combinations.

bradm

Personally, I don’t see a problem throwing a hook using the palm heel. It is basically the same motion as a closed fist hook punch. However, it ends up being more of a slap. Which is still very effective, that’s how Bas knocked his opponent out in the video I referred to.

Now an uppercut is another story, that may be more difficult. I believe you would have to be in very close. And you would have to stike with the light side of your forearm towards your opponent, with your wrist tilted back so the meat of your palm would make contact with the opponents jaw or nose.

night-robin

I believe your correct. To do a Palm Strike Uppercut, you would have to be quite close where a closed fist allows a bit more distance between you and the offending chin.

nauticus

I definitely prefer closed fist, but that is what I’ve trained for years.

ronin

With regard to the uppercut, if the distance is that close, what about a “groin slap”? Or how about utilizing knees and elbows?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: