Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    night-robin

Re: Open Hand or Punch

An Elbow would be my preference in close proximity.

kravdisciple

I read in a Krav Maga course book authorized by KMW , that Palm striks are naturally weaker and are to be used for utilizing undangerous situations – like a junkie harassing you.

So what is it?

kravguy25

Disciple I Would Recommend Testing Things Out For Yourself And Judge The Power And Speed That You Generate With A Punch Vs. A Palm Heel Strike And Ask Your Partner For Thier Feedback As Well. If U Read The Above Post Most People Are Giving Thier Personal Experience With These Techniques.i Personally Beleive That My Power And Speed Are The Same With Either However My Accuracy Is Better With A Palm Heel Strike.

clfmak

quote Ronin:

With regard to the uppercut, if the distance is that close, what about a “groin slap”? Or how about utilizing knees and elbows?

A proper boxing uppercut should be an in close punch with the elbow bent around 90 degrees. They already work well in close. The one with the palm is used to rock the chin back to cause whiplash, hit the teeth together, refer shock to the brain, and break the person’s momentum and/or posture. The groin slap is a good strike, but it kind of assumes your hands are in a low position, which I tend to avoid.

reaper1

I read somewhere that a palm strike can deliver more force because the energy doesn’t have to go through the weak joint of the wrist. The energy in a palm strike goes through the unu and the radius bones and doesn’t loose energy through the wrist joint. Just what I read somewhere don’t know if it’s correct or not.

kravdisciple

quote Reaper1:

I read somewhere that a palm strike can deliver more force because the energy doesn’t have to go through the weak joint of the wrist. The energy in a palm strike goes through the unu and the radius bones and doesn’t loose energy through the wrist joint. Just what I read somewhere don’t know if it’s correct or not.

Its always good to re-check your sources and find out if they are reliable.

reaper1

Sorry scrap what i said. I was referring to punching with a vertical fist v a horizontal one nothing about a palm strike my mistake got muddled up.

kirsten

quote KravDisciple:

I read in a Krav Maga course book authorized by KMW , that Palm striks are naturally weaker and are to be used for utilizing undangerous situations – like a junkie harassing you.

So what is it?

I would disagree with that… I think they can be just as strong, and you don’t risk breaking your hand like you can with a punch. You just don’t have the range like a punch. I have seen a KO to the liver using a palm strike. Worked like a champ.

seeq-qc

This is the kinda mindset I have, I use both depending on what the situation and what my target is…not sure if in a full-on engagement i’ll have the wherewithal to make those split second distinctions or just revert to a punching fool…:box:

quote Andy_M:

I teach both open and closed strikes. One of the basic application of Krav Maga principles involves soft on hard, hard on soft e.g. closed fist on soft targets, open hand/palm on harder targets.

As as an aside, I think that context has a key role to play in choosing which method to emphasise. In the military context, we would normally emphasise the open palm, one reason being all the hard equipment people wear. You can still have considerable impact on someone by using a palm strike on body armour or helmet; however, if you hit that sort of thing with a closed fist you are in real trouble.

Sorry I don’t have time to elaborate more, but I have to dash.

Cheers,

Andy

seeq-qc

I’ve been workin on adding a little keysi for just such a situation…

quote Night Robin:

An Elbow would be my preference in close proximity.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: