Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    bradm

vwr32,
    Whoops, sorry I mentioned Mona Vie. I certrainly wasn’t trying to promote it here. My neighbor introduced it to me and I said I would give it a try for a while. Even though I am very active and try to eat properly, I do think it has helped me. But, I’m not one to wear blinders, so to speak, I’ll try it for a while and then give it another evaluation. If I don’t think the benefits outway the cost, I’ll stop taking it. You’re right, it is expensive. But $60.00 is more than double what it should cost for a bottle. At that price you were certainly getting ripped off.

Thanks for the link on the food groups. I’ll review the seperate items as I have time. From a quick review, I do eat most of the items listed – maybe not as often as I should.

abselite

I am 55. At 52 I became the first person to perform ‘Most Sit-ups, using an ab frame, for 24 hours’ by performing 110,912, establishing a new Guinness World Record.

I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in most of my joints almost 20 years ago. However, I remain active, maintaining minimal discomfort.

I am a ‘CrossFitter’ and own a CrossFit facility. I train every day. CrossFit workouts and kettlebell training. Both teaching and performing. CKM insructing and training 3x per week.

I am in the very best condition of my life (since my military days) thanks to CrossFit.

I live by \”We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.\” There is no reason to stop, and every reason to continue.

klem2

As an old ex-competitive athlete who has put much wear and tear on his body, I also recommend ice (actually-packs of frozed peas) on your joints (esp.knees and shoulders) after a tough workout. Krav or otherwise. It really helps with recovery and post workout swelling.

Kudos to all those who have put in the mileage over the years but continue to put out the efforts… no matter how painful.

vwr32

Re:

quote \”BradM\:

vwr32,
    Whoops, sorry I mentioned Mona Vie. I certrainly wasn’t trying to promote it here. My neighbor introduced it to me and I said I would give it a try for a while. Even though I am very active and try to eat properly, I do think it has helped me.

I didn’t mean to imply you shouldn’t have brought it up… it’s great dialogue. I gave it a shot and saw it as marketing hype to sell a product that doesn’t bring anything to the table that blueberries, pomegranates, cranberries and just pure acai already brings for less $. But I know other folks swear by it, and it has been the catalyst for positive change in their life. Still others use it as a \”magic potion\” which is supposed allow them to continue smoking, eating poorly, and not exercising without any consequence. Results alone should guide the efforts, so if you’re seeing results don’t let some internet nobody like me steer you from your current course.

Besides… unstpable1 already said I was wrong. I figured it was a standing decision for all threads. But I could be wrong about that too. 😀

garddawg

Last year one of our clients brought in his grandpa. Grandpa Bob’s first day with us was only 2 weeks after having stents put in his legs and heart. He had been a heavy smoker all his life and had never worked out. He couldn’t walk around our building without resting. We scaled our CrossFit workouts for him, modified and substituted exercises and have watched him thrive. Today he routinely runs the 400’s in our workouts, does push ups, and yes even pull ups. The other day he came in and said \”I have to tell you this story\”
    He proceeded to tell me how he had been fixing something on the roof of his house when a wind blew the ladder down. He said to me \”Last year I wouldn’t have been able to get up on the roof and if I had been on the roof with out a ladder I would have had to wait until someone came home to help me down. But I just grabbed the roof and did a negative pull up and dropped down.\” Piece of cake he says to me. Grandpa Bob is 79. Can’t get those kinds of results from the typical gym routine.

giant-killer

There was a lady at the NTC yesterday, who wanted to do a story about people over 50, who train there. I think people were shy to volunteer. If you are over 50 but don’t look it, last thing you want is your face in the paper… 8)

bkp100

I’m 52, and agree with abselite… \”you grow old because you stop playing…\”

I train 3 times a week, and do resistance training on off days with Bas Rutten thrown in to keep me humble. Typical vitamins, diet, and a large whey protein shake after each workout. It’s what I eat *before* the workouts that seems to be more important (too much / too little, and I’m screwed!).

I do a lo-dose Bayer 81 daily (and an occasional Advil), however, that’s about it. Other than a torn calf, one busted rib, and a rotator cuff (that I keep an eye on), I’ve been lucky throughout my training. I train first thing in the morning, and I think that helps, as well.

I dive, and Krav has done wonders for my SAC (measure of air consumption). I have no trouble keeping up with the 30-somethings in class, and use them as my personal fitness litmus test.

If I’m one day rendered sedentary, it certainly won’t be a matter of choice!

bradm

bkp100,
    Where do you train Krav in Atlanta?

bkp100

Brad, I train at KBX GYM : http://www.kbxgym.com
    They’re located in Northeast Metro Atlanta (Alpharetta). There’s a set fee, and you can attend as many classes as you like (Krav, conditioning, Fast Twitch, etc.), or set up personal training with one of the instructors.

If you’re interested, give Marshell Davis a call (and tell him Barry sent you).

Good luck.

bradm

bkp100,
    Thanks. But, I no longer live in the Atlanta area. The Alpharetta school is a fairly new Krav school isn’t it? I trained Krav in Marietta (Powder Springs) for 3 years or so before moving. When I started I think there were only two locations in Ga that had a Krav program, Powder Springs and Kennesaw. Statasboro may have started about the same time or soon after. Not sure. Now there are schools in Canton, Apharetta and somewhere else I believe.

bkp100

Brad,
    KBX has been there quite a while, doing kickboxing, boxing, conditioning, etc., however, they added Krav to the program last year. They have two LA Certified Krav instructors, and a growing student population, at multiple Krav levels.
    They’re great people, and while they’re flexible in how you want your training to proceed, they’re extremely serious about the intensity of the workouts, and following the protocol to make sure techniques are mastered prior to testing out. I’d recommend them to anyone in the area looking for a school.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: