Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics personal experiences?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bravegrl

Hi! my name is Amy and I was wondering if anyone has been in a situation where they have had to use their Krav to protect themselves or someone else.

full-force

I like the Bible verse on your signature block. Philippians 4:13 is one of my favorite Bible verses

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi Amy

Welcome to the forums, nice first question.

Iím pleading the 5th on it. 🙂

giant-killer

It’s okay, you can tell us. It’s an internet forum, no one knows who you are… 😉

maskedkat

Someone on the forum… can’t recall who… had an incident in a KFC somewhere and I believed disarmed a dude with a knife who was trying to rob the place. Anybody else recall this?

gp
    maskedkat

Yes, that’s it! Thanks for finding it… great story!

mark1, are you still around? Or are you too busy out there fighting crime? 😉

kmcat

Late this summer there was an incident in downtown Kansas City.

A women that had taken KM classes at the school here in KC was assaulted (I don’t know all the details, some were confidential but I think it may have involved attempted rape).

She used her KM skills and escaped without any serious injury.

guerriere

My one experience using krav on the street

While I was on the way to work one winter morning, a woman grabbed my right arm, spun me around and yelled \”How dare you steal something from me!\”

Instinctively (yes!) I delivered a left hand heel-punch to her upper arm and knocked her off of me, backed up a step or two, and yelled \”I didn’t take anything from you!\” and ran off. The last I saw of her was her very very stunned expression.

The problem with my story is the lack of drama! I have no idea what she wanted, if she had a knife, if she had friends… I didn’t even realize what had happened until I was about a block away. The whole thing took about 5 seconds. If it weren’t for krav it would have been a long drawn-out thing with lots more to tell.

But the best thing… this was after only 6 weeks of krav. I didn’t even know all the names of the instructors yet! And I had a speech to give that day to about 300 people. I got to work all jazzed about using krav & eager to tell my teachers, instead of arriving late coming in from the ER or at the least, all shaken up. The speech rocked (if I do say so myself)

giant-killer

Hey, Guerierre, what’s happening? 😀 We haven’t heard from you in a long, long time. Good to have you back. Still doing Krav?

guerriere

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

Hey, Guerierre, what’s happening? 😀 We haven’t heard from you in a long, long time. Good to have you back. Still doing Krav?

hi! One thing after another got between me & krav, and then I gained back all the weight I’d lost, and then I hurt one foot, and then I hurt the other foot, and then I hurt my back… but then the school moved to 3 blocks from my job just after two women got injured during attacks on the job, and someone tried to sexually assault one of my neighbors at gunpoint. Kind of made me remember why I started going to krav in the first place.

So I’m back but not *back* Still working on that!

Good to see you’re still here

giant-killer

Yes, hanging in there… 🙂

Wow, looks like a lot of bad stuff going on at your place. But glad you are back into Krav Maga. Better sign up all of your co-workers, so they can beat up the bad guys!

guerriere

Re:

[quote:2daaea9801=\”Giant Killer\”]Yes, hanging in there… 🙂

Wow, looks like a lot of bad stuff going on at your place. But glad you are back into Krav Maga. Better sign up all of your co-workers, so they can beat up the bad guys!

I’m trying! What does it take before they take action? 🙄

mike-g

steve_tuna has…pretty good story too.

stevetuna

Re:

quote \”mike_g\:

steve_tuna has…pretty good story too.

The long story short is this: We had one of our guys conducting our second drug buy from a young entrepreneur. The dealer moved the location of the buy (a simple one gram of cocaine deal, btw) at the last minute from a remote place to something in the middle of a residential area. My two partners and I scrambled to get re-positioned, fully aware that this might be happening to allow him to have look-outs nearby (or a rip, of course). The buyer was also one of our detectives.

We were communicating by Nextel. Itís pouring rain, so my noise is relatively covered. The guy that I think is a lookout will only see me if I make big movements. I get low and pay attention to everything, not sure if Iím spotted or not. Just then, I hear a car park. I hear low voices ñ canít even tell if theyíre my guy or not. Iíve got my small, plastic stinger flashlight in my hand ñ very bright, but not an impact weapon. After that, itís a Glock 22. Iím ready with the flashlight, prepared to use the light beam to stop anyone that comes towards me. Good choice, as it turns out. The afore-mentioned tall, skinny black male comes walking right through the path that Iím hiding on!

I didnít have any choice ñ the lookout and the fact that the area behind me opened up into a well-lighted driveway made retreating a no-go. I had the element of surprise, so I took the initiative. Hoping for all the world that it wasnít some poor resident out looking for his lost cat or something, I hit the guy in the eyes with the flashlight beam. His hands went to his face at once. I saw nothing in his hands so I tackled him, yelling all the usual statements that seem appropriate at the time (Police, donít move, youíre under arrest, etc.).

We went back to the corner of the alley. The bad guy ends up bent over on an air conditioner fan-box. Heís looking at me. I tell him to get his hands on his head. He doesnít comply quickly enough, so I whacked him a couple times with the little flashlight ñ mostly for effect. He gets his hands on his head. Iím not hearing the joyous sounds of my fellow officers coming to my aid and Iím not liking my position for turning this guy and cuffing him up. (Can you tell where the second-guessing part of the story is?). I attempt to chirp up one of them on Nextel. My damn gloves are too thick for me to hit the right buttons! The bad guy starts acting up ñ I yell at him to stay put. What do you know ñ he doesnít listenÖ (boy, Iím stooooooopid some times!)

He gets up fast and comes right at me. Iíve just stopped fooling around with my phone in time to instinctively croak the guy with a front punching kick (front kick to a vertical target). Krav Maga, baby! Knocked the guy right over backwards! He gets up quickly, digging in his coat for something. The bad thing alarm in my head is ringing loudly. Iím too close to draw my weapon in time to beat him to whatever heís grabbing so I kick him again. Good news ñ down he goes, this time dropping over a three-step ledge. Bad news ñ he gets up and starts running away like Jesse Owens. Iím after him as fast as my 45 year old legs can carry me.

He hits the street, looking back over his shoulder like a receiver looking for the pass. Unfortunately for him, my linebacker-like partner is coming right at him, looking for the highlight reel takedown. BAM! Oh my ñ that had to hurt! The guy is down hard! I get there a moment later and we cuff him up. We pick him up and a five inch folding knife is lying on the ground underneath him.

I screwed up several different ways on this one. Iíve been over and over it in my head, thinking that I should have leg-kicked him right after tackling him in order to turn him face down. I should have yelled to my partners instead of screwing around with that damn phone. And so onÖ Krav Maga saved my sorry butt that night by making my response automatic. Anyway, thatís the story. Hereís the link to a local news article about the guy: http://www.ack.net/drugarrest.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: