Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Press, Media & Journalism

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    tzrider

Re: Press, Media & Journalism

^^^ +1

You’re in effect asking for KM training to enable you to take images and video of uncooperative subjects by force. Personally, I’d prefer you didn’t receive such training.

quote MrWright:

I hope to find suggestions here on how to defend myself and my equipment so as not to escalate any situation. The police have enough on there hands and must deal with their own situation rather than mine.

Most of what I deal with are threats from people who don’t want their friend or family member’s face and name showing up in the news the next day. I feel bad for them but its my job and I know that at any time they could through a punch or try to slap the camera from my hand.

I hope to here back from you all. Thank You!

IMHO, self defense isn’t just about reacting to a bad situation, its about realizing that there is a bad situation and staying out of it, or realizing what you’re doing to incite the bad situation and stop doing it. If they don’t want their names or faces on the news, maybe you shouldn’t put them there. Without trying to tell you how to do your job, because I don’t know how, your insistence to do what they don’t want you to do is what causes the problem. To defuse the situation, don’t show up or conduct your business from afar. You can’t keep doing the same thing, throw self defense training in and expect a different result. They’ll still attack you, and if you get mobbed your Krav training won’t help you unless you can run really fast and dodge bullets. Example: I spent 8 years as a Marine Infantryman. All of my training up to the deployment was about killing and appearing as if I would kill at any moment. Fast forward to Fallujah and all of the sudden having that appearance and attitude pushes the people away, which causes the insurgent campaign to take a foothold locally which causes IED’s and mortar attacks to occur. Be nice to the people and try to be on their side, or at least maintain that appearance.

mrwright

Thank you for your quick replies!

Is a well trained Press Photographer I know when to back down and because of this I am very seldom put directly into harms way. If I feel that my presence could result in any agitation I move to a safe distance if able. I am in NO way looking to be part of the situation, only document it.

As for training in Krav Maga, I plan on using my people skills and my politeness to resolve 99% of any problems I encounter. It is only that 1% where someone actively seeks to harm me or destroy my equipment where I would consider using it. Even then my primary focus is to get to safety.

I hope I did not cause any misunderstanding.

I will be attending KM training with National Security Graduate from Point Park University and a police officer I know. They said they would also work with me on some press related drills and simulations. I Will probably be doing the training with my camera and lenses on or something. I will let you know how that turns out.

revobuzz

One important thing I take from Krav is awareness of a possible difficult situation and making sure I am not in the area when things kicks off. The press have to be present in bad sitautions so not sure how that would fit in with the Krav state of mind that I have.

mrwright

Most of the time people think I’m a passerby. I am friendly and many times people are happy to share their stories, especially if they think some injustice has been done.

When I was covering G20 I actually had people grab me and take me to where they saw protesters being subdued by police. This does not happen normally but occasionally being taken to unknown places is part of the job.

I will post some pics later. Getting led somewhere often leads to a rich story but can be dangerous.

sicpuppy

quote MrWright:

When I was covering G20 I actually had people grab me and take me to where they saw protesters being subdued by police. This does not happen normally but occasionally being taken to unknown places is part of the job.

I will post some pics later. Getting led somewhere often leads to a rich story but can be dangerous.

I do not know why the press have such a bad rap…. unless it has something to do with taking pictures of cops doing their jobs and vilifying them for it. You know, the way you say you have a job to do.

Cops doing their job is seldom pretty, and when force is used, it is never pretty. Having the press post a picture with a one sided story, half the story, or a prejudicial headline because someone grabbed them and led them to the scene makes it worse and gets others stirred up- don’t know why. But then, they wouldn’t sell papers then, would they (it is all about ratings, isn’t it?)!

Obviously, nobody here knows you. You may well be the very rare animal I heard about but never met- a fair-minded reporter. If so, I am sure the rest of us (at least I would) apologize for any bad thoughts and I am equally sure, if you were one of those rare reporters, you also know where everyone comes from on this issue.

But then, maybe that is just me… lol

No, I feel a bit of the same way. I also apologize if you are that rare journalist, but I’ve had too many bad experiences in Fallujah with imbedded media, which gives me trouble believing much from someone who I feel goes out of their way to make themselves seem overwhelmingly neutral and just an impartial observer. So to summarize I’m not trying to trash you and I don’t have negative feelings against you as a person but I’m suspect of your unstated opinions and views on impartiality in the media.

navyone

I will echo some of the concerns on the impartiality of journalists. Especially as it relates to military affairs. . .

yehudabaruch

Impartiality is irrelevant. This discussion is not an argument about the merits of journalism, nor is it an indictment of journalistic practices.

It can, however, be an interesting discussion about application of KM under a set of circumstances where traditional KM situational awareness is undermined by job requirements. That is, if we leave the ad hominum attacks aside.

Obviously the central tenets of situational awareness on a macro scale are violated by going intentionally to a conflict zone, even more so by interacting with active participants of that conflict. Sometimes, your questions can be interpreted as provocation even when you’re well meaning. By that point you’re in conversation range and outnumbered in an unfamiliar environment that may be hostile to you. But that doesn’t mean that situational awareness at the hyper-local scale (read: your personal space) must be ignored.

I would focus on setting up a solid fence, learning how that fence interacts with gear you may be carrying in your hands or on your person, and practicing transitions from shooting (pictures, that is) to empty hand defenses and space-making maneuvers. Slings make it easier to drop your equipment safely and deal with a situation, but can become a handle that an individual or crowd can use to move or choke you. You’ll have to weigh the benefits and costs and design a LBE system that works for you.

Most importantly, I wouldn’t despair because there are no “targeted programs” for journalists. Journalism is only one of many fields (i.e.- 3rd world medical care, relief, diplomatic missions) that may fall outside of the military/LEO spectrum but presents special challenges to civilian self defense. This is where Krav shines. Because Krav is based on solid principles, philosophy, and reality-based training (that means training hard under stress WITH equipment), even when specific techniques don’t address your individual situation, you will be able to apply those principles that have been ingrained in you through training, and adapt and overcome.

So go train.

Best,
    -J

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote YehudaBaruch:

*snip*

So go train.

Best,
    -J

Well said~

mrwright

Thank you for all your replies!

I will train and take your advice to heart. My role as a journalist and NPPA member is tell tell a story in pictures. I also think it is unethical to tell only one side of the story.

As for imbedded journalists, a good one will focus on the facts and make every effort to stay out of the way. They are an added burden and a good journalist will know that. Our job is to serve the public not ourselves and many of us have died trying to enlighten the would.

I have been taking KM here in Pittsburgh and everyone is extremely helpful! They also are great at addressing everyone’s specific needs.

Thanks again for replies!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: