Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    bkl041018

Anyone have a feel for how long it should take to progress through the 5 practitioner leverls, given a consistent weekly effort?
    thanks!

zen4me

Re: Progression?

quote bkl041018:

Anyone have a feel for how long it should take to progress through the 5 practitioner leverls, given a consistent weekly effort?
    thanks!

First, I think you’d have to define what you feel is a consistent weekly effort. The yellow Krav book gives a general time frame for each level based on 3 classes/wk (I think its 3!). You also have to factor in when the test for each level is held and where you’re at in the level when a test comes up.

I don’t have my book at work, otherwise I’d give a more detailed answer. I’m sure someone else can chime in with something a little more defined though.

– Kelly

bracius

I have the book with me. I even hug it twice a day as I face east. Here is the break down:

Yellow Belt is four months at two sessions per week
    Orange Belt is six months at two sessions per week
    Green Belt is nine months at two session per week
    Blue Belt is also nine months at two sessions per week
    Brown Belt is one year at two sessions per week

kirsten

This may be a little off topic but I hear this question alot on this forum and others so I will give it my “old fart” answer to the young pups out there. 🙂

I try to tell my guys just train and don’t get focused on levels and belts. They are not the benchmark of one’s success in training. I have seen BB’s that made me cringe… In all systems. Test to challenge yourself but make sure you have a solid foundation or everything that comes after that is shaky. There is no way to really gauge what time is really appropriate for each person.

I guess what I am saying is take your time and don’t stress about it if others are “passing you up” (yes we don’t like to admit it, but it annoys all of us when this happens LOL), just train, learn, have fun and the rest will come in time! Because being a yellow belt that can kick a green belts arse in sparring is far more rewarding! 🙂

mara-jade

Kirsten!

I’m SO glad you said that.thumbsup Hubby and I had planned to test for Level 3 this weekend. We both got sick last week and on top of that found out hubby needs surgery.

You said EXACTLY what I’d been thinking about being ‘passed up’. I’ve got KM compadres who recently passed their Level 4 and I feel ‘stuck’ not up to 3. Hubby and I been working hard and I thought I was ready. I’d been in a 3/4 class recently where I sparred and saw how so ready I WASN’T. I hadn’t sparred regularly in many months and hubby hadn’t been able to train with me all last year.

It’s nice to know y’all instructors can SAY it’s not a race for that belt. My Instructor Leslie told me the same thing too – thanks:D:

kmman

Im not a fan of testing. I know some will chime in saying its a way to really challenge yourself but KM in its purest form (IDF) does not test or have levels. I’d love KM if instructors saw your progression and rewarded it with the next level. In the meantime we can go to class and simply train as hard as we can and think of nothing else.

I know most will disagree but thats my opinion.

mara-jade

quote KMMAN:

Im not a fan of testing. I know some will chime in saying its a way to really challenge yourself but KM in its purest form (IDF) does not test or have levels. I’d love KM if instructors saw your progression and rewarded it with the next level. In the meantime we can go to class and simply train as hard as we can and think of nothing else.

I know most will disagree but thats my opinion.

It sounds nice but there are classes that can be huge and honestly, unless you go there ALL the time, an instructor cannot be expected to know everyone’s level.

kirsten

Well, there is a place for testing- don’t get me wrong. And I would argue your point that KM is only in its purest form in the IDF. The military is not the “end all be all” for training as we like to think it is. My Korean instructor would say the same about TKD only being good in Korea, except for HIS school of course. Until the ’88 Olympics came along and the US killed the competition. I have heard Japanese instructors say this; Brazilian instructors say this and on and on… <Yawn>. It gets old, but I am not here to argue that and I am not likely to change your opinion of it regardless.

But getting to the point of the thread, testing is a right of passage for some. I personally feel like after a zillion years, I have done it enough. However I know that I need to just do it and show the instructor I am ready. And as an instructor, I am better able to gauge a student when they are moving through the test with everyone else present with them.

Some black belts in other systems feel that they should not have to test, or get to jump the line because of this. Also, some students are very afraid of it and need the push. Others use the “don’t believe in it” mantra as an excuse. They often don’t want to slow down and learn the foundation that can be considered “boring” compared to more advanced skills. As we know, without a foundation the rest is just pointless…

So figure out what your motives are for testing or not testing. But try no matter what to use testing not as a race but as a reward for hard training and a chance to challenge your self.

Mara-Jade, sounds like your in good hands with your instructor. You are way ahead of the rest in training if you see the benefit of slowing down. Pat yourself on the back and keep at it!

mara-jade

“Mara-Jade, sounds like your in good hands with your instructor. You are way ahead of the rest in training if you see the benefit of slowing down. Pat yourself on the back and keep at it!”

Thanks! Our center started a Women Only Fight Class. It’s been the best thing for me. We’re doing baby steps. I’m probably the only upper level student who comes regularly in the class but it doesn’t bother me one bitthumbsup

Testing – my first level 1 test I WAS scared. I was 15 pounds overweight and the test was five hours. To look back now and say I did that and my level 2 (another 5 hours-LOL), ain’t no way I’m NOT gonna test for 3 but I’m doing it with hubby-period:D:

rick-prado

quote mara_jade:

It sounds nice but there are classes that can be huge and honestly, unless you go there ALL the time, an instructor cannot be expected to know everyone’s level.

A good instructor should be able to look at a person train and be able to determine for the most part, if they are a yellow belt or brown belt.

rick-prado

quote Bracius:

I have the book with me. I even hug it twice a day as I face east. Here is the break down:

Yellow Belt is four months at two sessions per week
    Orange Belt is six months at two sessions per week
    Green Belt is nine months at two session per week
    Blue Belt is also nine months at two sessions per week
    Brown Belt is one year at two sessions per week

Is that correct? Brown belt in (1) year?

With all due respect and not to diminish anyone’s accomplishments, but how can a person become a brown belt in (1) year?

It takes us in the IKMA 12- 18 months between belts to move up. I believe the IKMF is also the same.

bracius

Keep in mind that this is not cumulative time in the gym and is an “on average”. So if some one, on average, busted out their training and proved their skill they could, from yellow belt, earn their brown belt in approx 3 1/2 years.

rick-prado

quote Bracius:

Keep in mind that this is not cumulative time in the gym and is an “on average”. So if some one, on average, busted out their training and proved their skill they could, from yellow belt, earn their brown belt in approx 3 1/2 years.

I don’t understand. How many hours is the person training to become a brown belt in 3.5 years?

How many hours is a person training to become a brown belt in 1 year?

panphage

Since it’s cumulative, on the average training twice a week starting from scratch:

Yellow Belt is 4 months
    Orange Belt is 10 months
    Green Belt is 1 year 7 months
    Blue Belt is 2 years 4 months
    Brown Belt is 3 years 4 months

Obviously is you train 5 days a week and already have a black belt is another MA you’ll advance faster.

bracius

quote plantman:

I don’t understand. How many hours is the person training to become a brown belt in 3.5 years?

How many hours is a person training to become a brown belt in 1 year?

Well, mathematically speaking it would be (40 months * 4 Weeks a month) * 2 hours a week (assuming each class a week was an hour) = 320 hours of training

Now statistically speaking I can tell you right off the bat that this formula would not pass a simple null hypothesis. Variables not taken into account in the formula are previous experience, personal aptitude, extra time spent OUTside the gym, instructor quality, and then a trail of other “z” factors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: