Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    smokelaw1

Last night, in the middle of some really great combatives/combos training, I felt a sharp (REALLY SHARP!!!) pain deep inside the right, uh…cheek. Like a thick HOT needle into the muscle. The pain was “hold onto something, close my eyes, try not to fall over” kind of pain. Stood there, sweating and getting my breathing down, for 5 minutes or so while the class moved on (I notified the instructor that I was hurt, but not in need of any assistance), until I was able to sit down. I stretched slowly, and the pain went away 95%. I was even able to continue LIGHTLY training the against the wall techniques towards the end of class.

Now, I am just a little sore in the region. I don’t know if I pulled a muscle, or if I had the worlds worst cramp, or what. I stretched it out well last night, and again the morning, and I can walk without limping, but it is very obvious I am not 100%. Anyone care to guess what I did? Any suggestions as to whether I train? Train but go light and careful? Take a few days off? Or, even worse…see a doctor?

Anyone ever pulled a glute? Does my description sound like what you did?

Anyway…testing in a few weeks, and I REALLY don’t want to be injured, but also want to train as much as I can leading up to it.

uncleruckus

Re: Pulled my BUTT!

Sorry about the injury :(:. I’m far from an expert on injuries and training with injuries, but here’s my $.02. Whenever I’ve cramped up it felt like my muscle tensing and a pain like somebody was stepping on me, not a piercing pain. With cramps I’ve found it helps to immediately stop what I’m doing and go into some extreme stretches on the offending muscle (i usually get back to about 80-90% fairly quickly). If it’s a strain or a tear though, I think stretching it out might aggravate it though.

If it were me I’d say still train, but let the instructor know about it beforehand, and only do drills that don’t put too much stress on it. On second thought, I think your glutes are used for just about everything. I’d say play it by ear, train lightly if there’s discomfort, but take a break if you’re in pain.

I also have my test at the end of the month (and have an incredibly sore inner-right-thigh), so I feel your pain (pun intended).

smokelaw1

Thanks UR,

That’s about where I come down, too. Play it by ear and listen to my body. I am scared of a reallyunexpectd “oh crap” moment when I realize I just REALLY hurt myself.

Did I ever get a throrough (we’re all pretty good friends) ribbing from the class due to the uh, location of the injury.

kmcat

I was doing some walking lunges last fall and it pulled a muscle deep in my hip. (It was near or on the “head” of the hamstring). It was not on/in the butt, but it was close.

I read up on it and hamstring pulls/tears can take a while to heal, mainly because it can be difficult for the athlete to “leave it alone” and let it rest long enough.

Still nursing microtears in my Achilles Heel from months ago, so, yeah, it can take a long time. My doctor says don’t be surprised if it takes a year or more.

nixxon

Cramp. If your pain went away 95% after streching and resting for a bit you’re fine. Any lingering pain is due to the muscle siezing.

Just strech more, drink more water and eat some quick carbs with potassium before a workout. Pay attention to streching your Piriformis.

Here’s a link for 5 good leg streches that pretty much everyone should be doing every day, keeps away alot of problems people would have. I also strech my groin out alot more and a bit more hamstrings.

http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm

smokelaw1

quote Nixxon:

Cramp. If your pain went away 95% after streching and resting for a bit you’re fine. Any lingering pain is due to the muscle siezing.

Just strech more, drink more water and eat some quick carbs with potassium before a workout. Pay attention to streching your Piriformis.

Here’s a link for 5 good leg streches that pretty much everyone should be doing every day, keeps away alot of problems people would have. I also strech my groin out alot more and a bit more hamstrings.

http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm

Awesome. That was the info I was hoping to hear. I’m about a week out from this event. I trained on saturday, and was still a touch sore, but not bad at all. I’ll go a little harder tonight, after following your advice.

Thanks!

nixxon

No problem. Also remeber that there are different levels and types of pain.

I usually will not train if its a sharp or tingling pain, anything achey I will go slow and warm up very well before. Make sure if your still in some pain that you continue to strech, get some ibprofen in ya, maybe some ice as it will reduce inflamation which may be casuing some lingering issues.

bracius

Speaking of……I was tossing and turning in bed. I must have used my leg at a weird angle cause when I burst into my turn I think I pulled a muscle in my inner thigh. Not quite my groin but right on the border.

emil

If you’re still sore a week after, it sounds like a partial tear of the hamstring. It may go away on its own, or it may re-tear, in which case it’s going to be a pain in the ass 🙂 to recover. Take it easy for the next couple of weeks, see if it’s consistently getting better.

jjbklb

I tore the very upper part of my left hammy May 15th & it still hasn’t completely healed.I admit that I haven’t given it a good rest since I’m training for a race in a few months.
    What has helped me the most was having a massage therapist work on the problem area.He breaks down the scar tissue that has formed in the injury site.The first few times he did it,the pain was enough to break me out into a cold sweat.IT HURT!!

But it did result in me being able to continue my training with minimal interruption.

nixxon

jjbklb,

You can also use a foam roller for myofasical release. It HURTS, I’m not going to lie. But it does make you feel better. I have a tendency to have a tight back and hamstrings so what I did was duct tape 2 tennis balls together then I lay down and I lay my spine in the space between the 2 balls, make a bridge on my feet and roll up and down with the tennis balls supporting my weight. It hurts, it makes me wince, but after I get done I’m very loose and relaxed.

Check out this article

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/feel_better_for_10_bucks

nixxon

quote Emil:

If you’re still sore a week after, it sounds like a partial tear of the hamstring. It may go away on its own, or it may re-tear, in which case it’s going to be a pain in the ass 🙂 to recover. Take it easy for the next couple of weeks, see if it’s consistently getting better.

Only thing that makes me think its not a tear is that he said it felt pretty much 95% better after resting a bit and streching. Of course I’m no doctor or certified health professional, and can only relate from my experiances.

emil

quote Nixxon:

Only thing that makes me think its not a tear is that he said it felt pretty much 95% better after resting a bit and streching. Of course I’m no doctor or certified health professional, and can only relate from my experiances.

you’re confusing a symptom with a cause. a cramp is often an indication of a microtear, not just an indication of a metabolic problem, the muscle “cramps” to prevent further use/damage.

nixxon

quote Emil:

you’re confusing a symptom with a cause. a cramp is often an indication of a microtear, not just an indication of a metabolic problem, the muscle “cramps” to prevent further use/damage.

Sorry, but muscles don’t “cramp” to prevent anything in the sense we are speaking. Cramps can occur from ALOT of things. “There are six basic causes of cramping:[1] hyperflexion; inadequate oxygenation; exposure to large changes in temperature; dehydration; low blood salt; or low blood calcium.”

Cramps are a symptom, but not of microtears. They are a symptom of items stated above.

“Cramp is a term often used to refer to a painful, involuntary contraction of a single muscle or a muscle group.

Leg cramps frequently occur in the legs of elderly patients and can be extremely painful.

Severe leg cramps my be followed by residual tenderness and evidence of muscle fiber necrosis, including elevation of <b>serum creatinine kinase</b>.”

“Clinically, creatine kinase is assayed in blood tests as a marker of myocardial infarction (heart attack), rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle breakdown), muscular dystrophy and in acute renal failure.” — Which means, muscle breakdown, thus your “microtears”. Here is your symptom. You cramp up because your body is releasing serum creatinine kinase.

If you are refering to cramps occuring because of rhabado, musclar dystrophy or acute renal failure then “microtears” is not your issue. Its breakdown of muscle cells that enter your bloodstream which lead to kidney failure.

Cramps themselves can cause muscle tears, for instance, you exercise, your muscle begins to cramp and then the activity is continued while the muscle is siezed.

Because he was able to strech it out and continue and felt 95% after the fact, it was most likely his muscle contracting due to dehyration, lack of salt, or perhaps a drastic change in core body temperature. The fact that it was in his butt makes even more sense. He said he was using combos. Most likely with kicks, your legs are the largest muscle group in your body requiring the most amount of nutrients to produce output, lack of nutrients=cramp.

Any lingering pain or issues with it a few days later by some inflamed tissue due to the cramp, but nothing to be worried about. A little ice, massage and anti-inflam drugs and he should be right as rain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: