Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Punch to the carotid artery instead of the face – pros and cons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

On another forum there was a discussion about the possibility of punching to the carotid artery instead of to the face in certain situations, such as a straight stab defense for example.

Pros given were that the attacker might not move back as far as he would if punched (could be important for keeping control during a knife defense). Also, it should take less power to hurt a person. The punch would short circuit the brain if done correctly and might even knock someone out under certain circumstances, which would facilitate further counters and ultimately getting away.

Cons mentioned were that the area might be hard to hit and possibly hard to hit most effectively (it appeared as if there is a method to hit it, the strongest punch isn’t necessarily the best, at least that’s how I understood it).

Does anyone here know more about this type of a punch an its effectiveness? Since I’m small, I would seem as though it could be an alternative for me, if it is possible to inflict damage with less power than would be necessary to effectlively punch to the face. However, what if I miss, or don’t punch the area correctly, could it be that this type of punch would do more harm then good?

Anyone got any info/experience with this?

kravmaga-ism

why not go for the windpipe instead?

ohskigod

I’m not feeling the punching of the corotid thing. to me, it falls under the “juice isnt worth the squeeze” category. If your in a situation where you have to act fast, the corotid might not be an easy target. If the oppurtunity arises, a ridgehand strike might slide in there nicely, but again, not first on my list of options. just my .02 and others might certainly feel different

I like the windpipe plan though

jjk

All that stuff is pretty close together. The windpipe, cortorid artery, the chin… I think those are ALL good targets, and in a bout of fisticuffs you’re not going to be that accurate anyway with both of you moving around.

giant-killer

I guess the punch to the carotid would come when you are off to the dead side of the attacker, not straight in front of him, such as during a straight stab defense. In that case, if you only have one punch, which would work better, the carotid strike or one to the face?

leejam99

I was in training with Bas today and he actually taught elbow strike to the side neck area which would be the same area as the carotid artery. He said he has been teaching that to his fighters because its a very damaging or painful area to strike.

if i had one hit…i would still do face or the throat if i had the choice of where to hit in the neck area. I’ve never been hit or seen someone struck in the windpipe area with a strong right hand….but i can only imagine…. ouch.

bradm

Assuming the strikes were of the same force and accruacy, I believe a strike to the carotid artery or the windpipe is more devastating than a strike to the face. When I was in TKD, we practiced (no contact or very, very light contact) to the carotid and windpipe. I only takes a very light strike to rattle your brain a little. But, I agree a strike to the head area is a much easier target.

bull1189

Re: Punch to the carotid artery instead of the face – pros and cons

I’m not a doctor, so I’m not sure of the physiology here, but isn’t the real objective with that kind of punch the brachial nerve? I’d think aiming intentionally for the cartoid artery is a good way to end up facing a manslaughter charge in court if you broke one of the circular bones “sheathing” the artery, a charge you would have more trouble beating if you admitted you were, in fact, trying to hit the artery. OTH, having been hit in the brachial nerve and having my brain and right side short circuit, I know that is an excellent target.

giant-killer

So, the artery might be punctured or ruptured through such a strike? I’ve heard of the brachial nerve, is it near the artery, or a bit more behind it? How much power does it take to hit that target and is it hard/easy to find? Does such a hit short circuit the brain and could it thus be more powerful than a punch to the face?

noonian

Wait, guys, wait. Allright.
    Now: In the carotid arteries are pressure receptors. They usually tell your heart to beat less/not so strong when the pressure is getting too high in the carotid arteries (so you don’t blow out your vessels in the brain and get a stroke) or to beat stronger/more if the pressure is going down and you’d be about to faint otherwise. These pressure receptors are only in a certain part of the carotid arteries, not all over the place (which means it can be hard to deliver a nice aimed blow to the right spot).

The goal of the punch to the neck is to “overload” the pressure sensors with you strike – basically fooling them into thinking the pressure’s up too much and bringing them to decrease the blood pressure. That can work so fast that some people instantly collapse. A few people actually are so sensitive, that they collapse when shaving with too much pressure in that neck area or are wearing tight collars.

Unfortunately (from a fighter’s POV) there are those people, who do not really care if they are punched into that pressure receptor area or not, it just hurts them like any other blow would but doesn’t make them collapse.

So, unfortunately again, I wouldn’t bet on bringing somebody down with that blow to the carotid area, it might work or it might not. If you punch there – for sure make it hurt like hell first before hoping for the knock out.

Wasn’t there a video floating around that showed a Martial Artist hitting a Pimp with a brachial strike? Looked pretty cool as I remember it, but it might be difficult to hit under stress. Still, more tools for the tool box. Oh wait…..Hicks Law! Oh no, I’m being overloaded with choices!!!!!!!!

bradm

Jeremy,
    I saw that video some time ago. I was going to post about it when I read your post. As I recall, the pimp was roughin up one oif his girls and the MA guy stepped in. The pimp aggressively approache the MA guy who quickly threw a knife hand strike to the pimps throat. The pimp immediately dropped to the ground, out cold. His buddies finally got him up and had to drag him back to his car.

vwr32

Is that what it is? A brachial strike? I thought it was simply a backfist to the temple maybe, but it did a ton of damage whatever it was.

Here’s the vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoDG3k5cPZw

bull1189

quote noonian:

Wait, guys, wait. Allright.
    Now: In the carotid arteries are pressure receptors. They usually tell your heart to beat less/not so strong when the pressure is getting too high in the carotid arteries (so you don’t blow out your vessels in the brain and get a stroke) or to beat stronger/more if the pressure is going down and you’d be about to faint otherwise. These pressure receptors are only in a certain part of the carotid arteries, not all over the place (which means it can be hard to deliver a nice aimed blow to the right spot).

The goal of the punch to the neck is to “overload” the pressure sensors with you strike – basically fooling them into thinking the pressure’s up too much and bringing them to decrease the blood pressure. That can work so fast that some people instantly collapse. A few people actually are so sensitive, that they collapse when shaving with too much pressure in that neck area or are wearing tight collars.

Unfortunately (from a fighter’s POV) there are those people, who do not really care if they are punched into that pressure receptor area or not, it just hurts them like any other blow would but doesn’t make them collapse.

So, unfortunately again, I wouldn’t bet on bringing somebody down with that blow to the carotid area, it might work or it might not. If you punch there – for sure make it hurt like hell first before hoping for the knock out.

Thanks for that info.

bull1189

quote vwr32:

Is that what it is? A brachial strike? I thought it was simply a backfist to the temple maybe, but it did a ton of damage whatever it was.

Here’s the vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoDG3k5cPZw

That video is a great example of why you need to keep your hands up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: