Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Law Enforcement & Military LEO Private Forums Question about gun grab w/ choke from behind

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

Re: Question about gun grab w/ choke from behind

As Brent said, the immediate danger is loosing the weapon, so securing that remains job 1. We’re doing a Level 1 and 4 class next week and I’m sure we’ll be testing this out!

ryan

I’ll give the same disclaimer Sean did…I am not an LEO.

I think Brent is spot on with his analysis. To add a bit, it is very difficult to do two “real” attacks simultaneously, which is what seems to be suggested here. The “choke” is likely more of a control position, instead of a choke. If it is an actual choke, I think a pluck may be necessary, if you didn’t initially get your chin in and down, since capping the firearm won’t do much good if you go unconscious. Ultimately, I think making the retention and turning in immediately is the best course of action, since the opening in the “choke” would also be to the gun side.

stevetuna

That’s spot on, Ryan. The attention of both parties is focused on the weapon, even in the drills. There is no “choke”, per se. It is the bad guy attempting to take the good guy off of his balance and to control him to facilitate the gun grab.

ryan

Yes, I think balance is the real issue (with the “choke”, that is.) Turning and stepping gunside should help to maintain your footing.

kirsten

Yup. Oneness and tried this out last month when we were working the guys and the one that I worked out seemed to work the best for us. It really does help going through it with a partner and various options.

ryan

Taught in LA this week, and I had a chance to run this by JP. He concurred with retaining the weapon and turning in immediately, going towards the opening of the hold and regaining/maintaining balance.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: