Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics question on musical beliefs.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    jburtonpdx
    quote :

And many unintended Older people pregancies after Yanni and John Tesch concerts

Ugh, thanks for the nice imagery… 😥

anonymous

Yeah, that’s a pretty ugly image, dude…. 8)

Haven’t read \”On Killing\”, maybe I can look for it next time at Barnes and Nobles. So, does the military play music during basic training exercises?

badge54

Unfortunatly I think the title puts off a lot of people. The jist of the book is about the Psyche and how it reacts to violence. The Military found this out over the course of history through war. They realized that humans don’t like to harm other humans and this is actually found across most species on earth. Even rattle snakes with poisonous bites wrestle with each other for territory. The military decided it needed to de-censitize the soldier to war so one of the many things it did was it stopped shooting at bullseyes and started shooting at sillouhetes, without faces. They rewarded those that shot the best…. The mind is taught to do things that it wouldn’t normally do. We don’t instinctually know how to fight, we have to train. Any avenue to train that part of the brain faster helps.

I think music can help set a mood. If that mood helps me better prepare for defending myself I like it. I don’t think the lack of music at a time of true violent encounter will be a differance. Do batter’s miss the batting cage when at the game? Maybe a bad example but not really, Boxers have music in the gym, they enter the ring to \”their\” music, even wearing I-pods to the ring. Do they suffer for taking the earplugs off before a fight I don’t think so. I have even saw snowboarders in competition at the X-Games listening to their I-pods during their run.

Interesting topic.

Badge54

anonymous

But those examples are all in preparation for something. Yes, a soldier will have to fight, but he knows so in advance. His unit may even have to be the aggressor, attacking enemy forces, so he knows when the battle will take place, that he will have to shoot to kill and that he might get shot also. So he can listen to music shortly before, to get himself psyched up for that event. Or listen to aggressive music (as well as rhetoric) telling him that the enemy is evil and therefore it’s okay, even brave, to kill him, that way desensitizing his natural instincs not to kill another person.

But a self-defense situation is unique in the sense that you do not know that you will have to fight. On the contrary, getting into a fight for your life may be the last thing on your mind at that moment. Therefore, you do not have time to listen to aggressive music beforehand to somehow prepare yourself for the task. During the incident, it likely will not be playing. So, you’ll have to quickly adjust from a mindset where you were just walking home to have some fun with your family, to one where you are going to have to kill if necessary to survive. That change and that power has to come from within you at that very moment and you can not rely on any outside factor to help you along.

If anything, for a self-defense situation, music might be used to induce fear, because that is what you will be feeling if suddenly threatened or attacked, and it will be a great hinderance. So, if we played scary music let’s say, trying to recreate the terror one must feel if confronted by a violent attacker, it may do more to good than the noisy workout music that makes everyone feel at ease.

vicious

My issue is that no matter HOW real you try to make the training it will always be very different than real life. And that music that gets your heart racing actually makes the training feel MORE like real life than without.

When i was snuck (hit with a sucker punch), i thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest and i was going to throw up… at the same time. It WAS a complete surprise, and my body dropped a lot of adrenaline that COULD have shut me down. BUT since i was used to feeling like my heart was going to explode (to a degree) i used that feeling constructively (to break my hand on his face).

To me it sounds like youíre saying that if you train with music you’ll become depend on music to function in a self defense situation. I’M saying that music can be used to make training more realistic. AND no matter what, when attacked you won’t notice if music is playing or not because the stimuli of REALLY being attacked will be all you need if you train HARD. AND music can be a factor to help you train hard.

I can’t see someone punching you in the face, and you going, \”man i wish some metallica was playing…\” i CAN see you getting punched in the face, and you going, \”BAM, SMASH, ZAP! \”(Sorry, old batman is on TV right now 🙂 ) Then going, \”what just happened?\” BECAUSE violence happens sooo fast that conscious thought is reserved for after the fact…

and the adrenaline from a real attack does more than replace \”music.\”

just my opinion.

anonymous

Well, as for being used to fight with a racing heart, that’s what you’d do drills for, or you would spar to learn how to fight even if hurt or exhausted, or you’d do any of the other great drills you have mentioned. However, I don’t think music would be necessary for the drills to be effective, you could get the very same racing heart just from the sparring or drill alone. Or, if anything, you could use music to induce fear, which may mimick the way you would feel if threatened by another person. Fear would make it harder to fight, not easier, but I think it’s best to make things as hard as possible in training, that way you are prepared if the worst happened and if it’s easier, even better.

I’m sure there are some attacks to which you can only react after having been hit, so in those cases it might not make much of a difference, you’ll just fight back and it may be over quickly one way or the other. But if you are being threatened, if you have decisions to make on whether to defend or not and if you have time for that fear to built up, relying on a tool such as music, that will not be available to you at that moment in time except by chance, may not do you much good.

In self-defense training you are not only building your endurance, but also your mindset and if the happy cardio music is playing, you may feel more like having a fun workout, not like learning a skill that might someday save your life. You may not take it seriously enough and that could cost you, if you should ever have to use that skill.

If you ever have the good fortune to train with Darren, you would see that aggression is something that can be build up from within. A good teacher will show you how to bring it out in a time of need, just using your spirit and the right mindset, without needing any outside tools, which is good, because your spirit may be all you’ll have in a self-defense scenario anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: