Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Quick question – timeline for belts/levels

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    mr-mossad

Re: Quick question – timeline for belts/levels

well my goal is not to become a krav expert or a self defense expert. but learing a few cool new tricks while getting in shape will fulfill my goals.

unstpabl1

quote mr mossad:

well my goal is not to become a krav expert or a self defense expert. but learing a few cool new tricks while getting in shape will fulfill my goals.

I think finding something “you enjoy doing” to get in shape is most important.

Krav is a blast and hitting things is great stress relief, plus you feel your learning something of value. But its not for everyone

The goal thing, looking at belt success as your criteria doesn’t seem to match your purpose, which is getting in shape. You learn a few cool tricks from day 1 and I’ve heard of people losing over 30 lbs in Level 1 alone.

Its a great system and has 3 areas to focus on Self Defense, Fighting and Fitness classes. Only thing you can do is go watch some classes and try a class, ask questions so you figure out if its for you. You’ll find the staff and instructors very helpful and no hard sell. Just don’t say I sent you, they may not let you in the doorthumbsup Just teasing. Then you’ll have an idea of where you may want to go.

Nobody can define your goals for you. Look your intention is to get in shape. You have to figure out what you’d most enjoy,so thats the main goal.

Good luck

kevin-mack

if you settle for less you will settle for anything

leam

quote unstpabl1:

No:beer: it wasn’t. You wanted to go into instructor Phase after your 1st class, which started in a monththumbsup

Then I met Mr. Reality and just tried to keep going. rofl2

The techniques aren’t that difficult, taken individually. For those of us who like to help others, it’s not rocket surgery to want to teach.

To answer the original poster’s question, attending a few classes would help gauge the possibilities. I was fortunate to be near Ryan’s school so there were no issues with the quality of instruction or the room for growth. If you want to accelerate your learning curve, pick up either http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Krav-Maga-Self-Defense-Techniques/dp/1569755736/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266834722&sr=8-1 or http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Step-Step-Easiest-Learn/dp/1569756619/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266834722&sr=8-3 and practice th etechniques on your own time. That way you not trying to learn in class as they tend to do the workout portion first. Learn at home, refine in class.

Leam

unstpabl1

quote leam:

Then I met Mr. Reality and just tried to keep going. rofl2

The techniques aren’t that difficult, taken individually. For those of us who like to help others, it’s not rocket surgery to want to teach.

Leam

:soapbox:rofl2

No, its not rocket science or even complicated in most cases, but there is the concept of quality control. And more importantly, the instructor should be able to physically be able to do what he asks of his students. Its a military art and you lead from the front. I got no respect for a fat outta shape instructor telling me what to do to get my fat outta shape azz to get into shape. Hypocrites are not role models nor inspiring. One can Only earn respect by leading by example

I like to help, but I do it online, not on the mats and if you look never in the technique section. I take teaching very seriously as I teach acting and I would never teach something I can’t prove to my students I can do. Most acting teachers sit on their fat butts critiquing and redirecting. I’m on the floor demoing and working. The KMSO instructors, I trained with hd the same skill set and mentality. More importantly, like the students they teach who earn their right to be in the next level class, they earned the right to teach it. I know the physical demands required by kmaa instructors, but I also iknow about the teaching skill sets they are taught

More importantly is the lesson Leam, that humans have a tendency to over estimate what they can do in the short term and under estimate what they can do in the long term. I’m no exception, but rushing things leads to injuries and setbacks as you probably know and I should know betterrofl2

The OP wanted to know how long to level 3 and 4, before he tried a class or worked out a month. Thats supposedly goal setting, but IMO its setting yourself up for failure. Whats the point of worrying about the 4th hole on a golf course while playing the 1st. Your more than likely to screwup the 1st hole so bad by your lack of focus that you’ll quit before you ever get near the 4th hole. Again, its simply my opinion and I’m certainly no rockt scientist, hell I’m not even very bright

I hope you didn’t take offense at my comment though, because I did mean it in jest. I really did care and felt you were setting yourself up for injury and a setback when you first showed up, as i do mr Mossad, or I wouldn’t waste my time posting, when I’d rather be doing something more personally productive

leam

quote unstpabl1:

I hope you didn’t take offense at my comment though, because I did mean it in jest. I really did care and felt you were setting yourself up for injury and a setback when you first showed up, as i do mr Mossad, or I wouldn’t waste my time posting, when I’d rather be doing something more personally productive

Hey pardner, no worries! I’ve not always made the best choices and this was one of them. Some times I have to laugh at myself and there’s no reason you can’t laugh with me. rofl2

Leam

unstpabl1

quote leam:

Hey pardner, no worries! I’ve not always made the best choices and this was one of them. Some times I have to laugh at myself and there’s no reason you can’t laugh with me. rofl2

Leam

I made an even worse one recently, non krav related that had I posted it, EVERYONE would’ve seen the errors of my thinking. It’ll keep me from krav though till late summer with no bang for the buck and I’m really frustrated

Most times hindsight is 20/20, but when we post things its a great way to get a greater perspective. Of course it is easier for me to teachyou to do the thing, than for me to do the things I teach

When we stop laughing at ourselves, WE”RE F@#K@D

future-swat

quote mr mossad:

I had a qucik question about the expected timeline for earning belts/levels for krav maga. the website specifies for level one it takes approximatley 4 months, 6 months for level 2, 9 for level 3, etc etc.

my question is: are these timelines concurrent or back to back? for example, say i start on day one, and complete level 1 in 4 months with 2-3 days of trining per week…would it take an ADDITIONAL 6 months to train and test for level 2? in other words, would it take 10 months TOTAL from day one to test/earn level 2? or 6 months TOTAL from day one to test/earn level 2?

i know this is novice question, but i am a novice guy. thanks!

As Bruce Lee would say”a belt is good for nothing more than holding your pants up”.I would worry more about what your learning than how long it takes to get a diff color belt.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: