Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    konstantindk

I don’t know about other crav maga place, but I visited few times one in TX. I don’t find it \” real\”. Yes, they learn techniques, but there’s like almost no sparing. What’s a point? I admire boxing or thai boxing, for example, because you get a feel of real fight every class. You actually have to use it and to hit somebody….

From what I heard crav maga in US is not that good. Of course, in Israel they are trained for real fight, but here…

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.

I have to ask, you watched a ìKrav Magaî class a few times but didnít find it was for you. So you felt compelled to sign up for the forums and make a post about it?

I guess Iím just a little confused as to your motivation for sharing your martial epiphany.

vwr32

Re: \"Real\" training?

[quote:3cf0dd0de3=\”KonstantinDK\”]I don’t know about other crav maga place, but I visited few times one in Bedford, TX. I don’t find it \” real\”. Yes, they learn techics, but there’s like almost no sparing. What’s a point? I admire boxing or thai boxing, for example, because you get a feel of real fight every class. YO actually have to use it and to hit somebody….

From what I heard carv maga in US is not that good. Of course, in Israel they are trained for real fight, but here…[/quote:3cf0dd0de3]

Thanks for sharing. Maybe someone could redirect you to the thread about the differences between Krav and Muay Thai. We do spar in our classes (16oz gloves, shin pads, mouth pieces, head gear) but it’s not very often. The reason is that krav doesn’t train people for the ring like MT or boxing. Welcome to the board, here’s some additional reading material 😀 :

[quote:3cf0dd0de3=\”wikipedia\”]An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.[/quote:3cf0dd0de3]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

konstantindk

well, sorry. I didn’t \”watch\” i participated. The trainer told me they don’t do much sparring there.

My motivation to post is here… Well, I heard before that crav maga is really good for real life combat situations. So i’m kinda dissapointed. Maybbe need an advice. There are only 2 schools in my area. How can you make it more useful? Well, find a partner and sparr with him after clas.. But you’ll need some guidance from trainer…

rq

I actually somewhat agree with you konstantin, I would love more contact in KM but there doesn’t seem to be any in my classes, but maybe it’s reserved for the higher levels.

But that is why I also take the Muay Thai classes that my KM school offers as well because it does give me that contact that I want.

I love both classes to be honest with you, if you have to choose one or the other basically it is up to you on what YOU want.

vwr32

Re:

[quote:b6a5f738e5=\”KonstantinDK\”] Well, I heard before that crav maga is really good for real life combat situations. [/quote:b6a5f738e5]

In real life combat situations you aren’t going to be trading punches with someone wearing gloves. From what I’ve seen so far, the goal is to end the threat using any means possible by inflicting as much pain and damage as you can in a very short period of time. So yeah, it’s technique technique technique.

Sorry for the tone in my post, but your first post on the board declared US krav is fake, Israel krav is real based on a couple low level classes you participated in. I think we’re training for the same goal, and that doesn’t include waiting for the ref to break the fight. If you think boxing or muay thai will better prepare you for \”real life combat\”, I think your disappointment will surface in a real life situation. But train the way you think will be most beneficial… it’s your safety. 8)

blindfold

I know in my current class we spar about twice a week. In previous classes we were limited by knowledge and techniques. They only sparred about twice a month.

mara-jade

Re:

quote \”blindfold\:

I know in my current class we spar about twice a week. In previous classes we were limited by knowledge and techniques. They only sparred about twice a month.

My center has fight conditioning, ground fighting and sparring classes. The classes themselves are at rotated in/out and different times throughout the year.

I hope I never have to use what I’ve learned but I wanna defend myself to get the heck out of there, NOT to prove I’m some bad a$$

guerriere

I was able to execute a simple defense on the street after 6 weeks of krav. Sure, we hadn’t sparred because we were beginners and we’d hurt each other. But on the street I saw the threat, hit the \”target\” which happened to be part of a human body, and since the person who’d grabbed me really expected to retain control over me she was so stunned by just that one punch I was able to get away. It wasn’t the kind of situation we’d drilled in KM but it wouldn’t have been the kind of situation any system trains for. We trained from day one on \”what if someone grabs you?\” and at the same time learned how to execute a punch. Both parts became instinctive for me enough to handle myself on the street that day.

Krav has a pretty broad range of types of attacks to train for, not just bar brawls. You can’t do it all in an hour and certainly not in a few classes.

FWIW, I found this article in Black Belt very interesting for learning what \”real life\” scenarios are likely to be:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/144

Since I don’t drink, don’t go to bars, and I’m female, a lot of scenarios are much less likely for me than for the people who make up the stats there. Part of why I picked KM over other systems is that it’s designed for women as well as men (Israel has universal conscription).

giant-killer

There’s plenty of sparring at the NTC, stand up and ground, even MMA style and multiple attackers sometimes. On occasion knife or stick fighting.

unstpabl1

There actually isn’t alot of hard sparring inThai gyms. they fight too often. Thats why the instructor pads up and drills you so hard. easy to run out of sparring partners when you use knees and elbows. krav allows groin kicks in sparring

FWIW, Krav Maga is how its spelled

kellycampbell

Guerriere said it well in her post. (very glad you made it out safe)

We do not spar in Level one class because we are not teaching them to be professional fighters but to defend them selves. We do not want beginners to get hurt nor do we want to discourage them.
    I would have to say that ONE of the most important thing that I want a level 1 student to walk out of my class with is to REACT.. To go from that passive state (low state of readiness) to aggressive with out hesitation. Physical skills are impotent and are taught but first they need the right mind set. This is built here in the beginning classes and though out the system.
    Even with out the sparring in a lv 1 class you should feel like you are in the fight when you are hitting a pad or responding to self defense attacks. This is the responsibility / job of the instructor.

Fighting/sparring is very important. If I have a student that has prior training I will recommend they take a fight class along with the km 1 classes. If I have a student that has no prior training/experiance I will have them wait until they have been in a Level 2 class for about 1-2month before going in to an Intro to fight class. In the Lv 2 class you cover hooks/uppercuts/ and kick defenses witch are the addition skills out side of lv 1 needed to help you in the fight. Our intro to fight class also teach these basic skills. I see no need to send someone with no experience in to a fight class only to get pummeled and not want to return.

Please see this from all sides. We have several different walks of life coming into class. As a system and as an instructor we need to recognize this and provide the appropriate level of training for each.
    Safe fighting/sparring is also very important and this requires each person to have the understanding of their own power and control.

We have several different levels of fighting classes to fill these needs.
    Also in higher levels tactic for multiple attacks armed and unarmed.

It is important to know what it is like to get hit and keep fighting. It is important to know what it is like to hit someone. Believe it or not there are many people out there that do not want to hit back. this is the mind set that I spoke of early.

For me I love the fight. The challenge of seeing what I learned in my level one and level two classes put to the test. Could I take a hit or would I fall like in the movies.
    I knew I could hit the pad hard but had never really hit someone. I needed to know for my own confidence that I could and I would in the time of need.

You commented that Krav Maga in the US is not real and compared it to boxing and thi boxing sparing. Well is boxing/thi boxing a real street fight. They have rules / rules limit. they are great training don’t get me wrong I love them both. Perhaps you had the wrong mind set going in to your class. if you were only expecting to spar and did not have an open mind to the self defense techniques I can see how you could have gotten bored

I do not know your experience but realize that when someone with prior ma experience comes in to a new system and has to start at the begging level it may seem redundant because of the some basic combative but the self defense is the area you should focus on.

I mean no disrespect and am just commenting on what I have know to be a reason
    for someone to feel like they did not get a enough out of a lv 1 class
    Please if you are ever in Los Angeles come and take a class with me.

I hope this helps with an incite to were sparring is placed and perhaps you can give the Bedford School another shot I know they have good instructor

konstantindk

Re:

[quote:42831cc906=\”kellycampbell\”]

I hope this helps with an incite to were sparring is placed and perhaps you can give the Bedford School another shot I know they have good instructor[/quote:42831cc906]

Oh no, don’t get me wrong. I’m sure he’s an excellent instructor. I’m just used to another way of training I guess. Some karates and boxing. Well, you know boxing. You spar almost every day and you spar early. I guess I want more than self-defends. I want hitting each other for few rounds in a row 😛
    Sparring really creates more confidence and make you being use to hit and be hit, I think. 😉

But as someone noticed crav maga is self-defence not like sport such as mauy-thai. But sometimes, you just want to hit opponent, not break his finger or arm or hit his groin. 😆

kravmdjeff

Konstantin, you mentioned the boxing gym. Many boxing gyms will put you with an experienced fighter so he can beat the crap out of you while he’s getting ready for a bout. You’re basically cannon fodder for the first six months, and then IF you’re still around, then they’ll start to train you.

I’ve been sparring in various capacities since I was seven years old…and I’ve defended myself in a few realistic situations. They have some things in common, yes, but not as much as many people would make it out to be.

dwwilson

NO SPARRING?

Konstantin, sorry you didn’t like our classes at the Bedford location. But I’m not about to let a guy spar the first night in my class. We do have sparring at our school, but not for the brand new people in a first time class.

Personally, after one class, I find the KM bashing hard to swallow. I can take someone not liking KM. After being instructor for over 6 years, I know that it’s not for everyone. And I totally respect that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: