Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books RNC – the discussion continues~

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Last night after level 4 class I had the opportunity to discuss with a few of the senior instructors the rear naked choke post. All of them had seen the discussions here in the forums and were familiar with the different takes.

Present were Dave Bluestein, Jarret Waldman, Jeremy Stafford and myself. Between the 4 of us there is close to 100 years of martial arts experience and a stack of credentials.

One thing quickly became clear the definition of the attack first needs to be broken down because the variables are all over the map and the technique can not be properly broken down and defended until thatís defined.

The main keys are ìis the arm sunk in under the chinî and ìwhat is the rear hand placementî

Needless to say while doing the different defenses we were discussing the principles of KM and how they would apply.

If the arm is actually sunk and rear hand placement is low behind your neck and you do not have the opportunity to turn the chin then it took Dave under 3 seconds (with me counting 1-1000 etc) before Jeremy tapped and began to lose consciousness.

As to the rest of the variables with hand placement etc Iíll let Dave continue with his thoughts.

I just wanted to let everyone know the subject wasnít dropped.

Sean

vwr32
    quote CJs Dad:

The main keys are ìis the arm sunk in under the chinî and ìwhat is the rear hand placementî

So we’re back to addressing a “properly applied rnc”. For the sake of clarification, if the arm isn’t sunk under the chin isn’t it just a headlock?

Hand placement- are they talking about making fists and tucking similar to page 274 in Complete Krav Maga and the Submissions 101 video I posted?

I look forward to hearing the final say! (If for no other reason than to put this to bed lol)

jjk

lol… I thought for a second that RNC meant Republican National Convention.

lotar

Re: RNC ñ the discussion continues~

Thanks foe sharing that CJ, I agree if applied correctly your out pretty quick, you must obviously keep fighting, but its very difficult when your passing out.

Craig.

giant-killer

100 years of martial arts experience? You guys must be really old… OhMy rofl2

I guess I’ll wait for Dave to post more. Did Jeremy try to fight back, or did he just sit there waiting to go to sleep? I suppose it all depends on the correct placement of the arms. I remember Richard B. once told a story about accidently choking out a student during a demonstration, with only one arm. It’s all about that perfect position, and if the attacker gets it, you probably don’t have very long to fight back.

Of course, the real question is, how long does it take to choke out CJsDad? This should be determined by experiment, videotaped and put on youtube. We’re waiting… thumbsup :woohoo:

vwr32

quote Giant Killer:

Of course, the real question is, how long does it take to choke out CJsDad? This should be determined by experiment, videotaped and put on youtube. We’re waiting… thumbsup :woohoo:

I wonder if the same dedication to “finding out” would have been present if the debate was “ability to fight after a kick to the unprotected groin”. Pressure testing this is probably too dangerous for anyone except those at the very top. razz

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

LOL do the math GK both Jarret and Dave got BB’s in Israel when they were teenagers I got my first one in HS and I’m 43

Because we wanted to isolate the choke, David applied it to me and locked it in while I was compliant. That sucker was locked in tight! I think we’re going to work on it a little more before one of the senior guys makes a definitive post, especially as hand position seems to be key in the ability to defend once the choke is sunk. Lots of variables! In the meantime, be sure not to screw with any roaming evil wang chung sticky hand masters or evil Gracies looking for a fight.

quote vwr32:

I wonder if the same dedication to “finding out” would have been present if the debate was “ability to fight after a kick to the unprotected groin”. Pressure testing this is probably too dangerous for anyone except those at the very top. razz

Actually, yes. Only it would have been random, like when Sean was coming out of the bathroom or something.

vwr32

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Actually, yes. Only it would have been random, like when Sean was coming out of the bathroom or something.

I could see where that would be a close second to catching him at the urinal with a groin kick from behind. I can’t seem to find a defense for that in the book either. Should be interesting around there for the next few days while you all hash this out.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

All kidding aside I was teaching in room2 and saw Jeremy standing in the doorway to room1 I snuck up behind him and did the choke for a laugh.

vwr32

quote CJs Dad:

I snuck up behind him and did the choke for a laugh.

Did he laugh?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote vwr32:

Did he laugh?

Of course.. and it didn’t hurt that I was making a joke about the forums at the time.

I laughed after I regained conciousness, stood up, and wiped the drool off of my face.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

What are friends for beer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: