Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Scary movies are dead to me now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    kmcat

This week I discovered an unexpected side effect of learing KM.

I rented the recent remake of \”When a Stranger Calls\”. It supposed to be a scary movie but the only emotion I had watching it was frustration.

While the girl in the movie was being stalked all I could think of was KM techniques. At the end when the bad guy psycho had her on the ground sitting on her chest doing a two handed choke from the front, she was trying to grab the phone and a fire place poker (both just out of reach), all I could do was grown. That was one of the exact senerios we’ve worked on in class several times.

Anyone else having trouble enjoying movies after learning KM?

rick-prado

I don’t have trouble enjoying them, although I do like anything wiht fight scenes.

I saw \”History of violence\” last night, it had some cool fight scenes that were plausible, but the movie sucked!

g-v

Re: Scary movies are dead to me now

quote \”KMCat\:

At the end when the bad guy psycho had her on the ground sitting on her chest doing a two handed choke from the front, she was trying to grab the phone and a fire place poker (both just out of reach), all I could do was grown. That was one of the exact senerios we’ve worked on in class several times.

Were you yelling at the tv? \”Pluck, buck and roll, bitch…pluck, buck and roll!!!\” 😆

kravmdjeff

I analyzed one of the scenes of Saving Private Ryan with an instructor trainee over the weekend. The last scene where the German (who the wimpy guy let live) gets into it with the Jewish Ranger guy. They’re both struggling to get the carbine, when both are wide open for a knee to the groin. Also, they focus all of their energy on pushing and throwing when neither really try to strike one another. Because, in that scene, the good guy dies, it was very frustrating.

kmtakinkm

I also found that scene in Saving Private Ryan very frustrating.

I was watching Ranson (Mel Gibson) the other evening. I could not help but think about Mel using the Krav gun disarm when the Detective (Gary Sinise) is wounded (in the shoulder area no less) and is holding the gun less than 12 inches form Mel. This happens a couple of times and had me screaming for him to lurch apply a few elbow and some knees and to take the dang thing away!!!

anonymous

Yeah, I’ve had similar experiences. It sucks when there is that one lone gunman, loosely holding the gun right in front of the victim for what seems like hours and the victim just stands there, shivering and crying. Grab it already!!! Arrrrggh! 😡

kmcat

quote \”G.V.\:

quote \”KMCat\:

At the end when the bad guy psycho had her on the ground sitting on her chest doing a two handed choke from the front, she was trying to grab the phone and a fire place poker (both just out of reach), all I could do was grown. That was one of the exact senerios we’ve worked on in class several times.

Were you yelling at the tv? \”Pluck, buck and roll, bitch…pluck, buck and roll!!!\” 😆

Well I did not use that language out loud in front of the polite company, but the thought was there!

marine-mojo

I always hate it when someone in a movie gets up from like the third right hook knee to the face combo and keeps on fightingÖWife always loves my commentary on that.

3 scenes that I do love from Hollywood
    1)The scene in Heat after the bank robbery goes bad. Great example of fire and maneuver
    2)The first hostage rescue from the otherwise cheesy movie SEALS. Shows just how fast room clearing can happen when you have the advantage.
    3)Fight scene in the apartment in Bourne Identity. Nice improvised weapon and overall speed of the scene. Also shows how fast a weapon can cut someone

g-v

Polite company? What’s that?

erik-h

I agree with you on the whole \”scary movies\” thing. I grew up in the 80’s when horror movies had some originality. Now, much like you, I watch them and I laugh because of what I know now. I love the movies that pose some type of realism to the characters (i.e. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, etc). I watch those and imagine all the fun ways to even the odds 😈 Even though I don’t have the pleasure of learning Krav Maga, I have studied other arts and still feel very confident in my abilities. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Erik H

waker

I can’t even watch James Bond movies anymore without yelling at the screen. Every time the Bond girl du jour gets dragged off agains her will, all I can think is CAN’T YOU DO A SIMPLE WRIST RELEASE?! I realize they all weigh 90 pounds, but come one!

kmcat

Re:

waker says: \”I can’t even watch James Bond movies anymore …\”

James Bond is especially dead to me now. Read \”Altered Carbon\” by Richard K. Morgan. Takeshi Kovacs is the new James Bond.

clfmak

I don’t know- it bothers me more when the James Bond skinny supermodel beats up the five burly men at the same time with flashy tae kwon do kicks and aikido wrist locks. The telescoping baton scene from Ecks vs Sever comes to mind.

I liked the apartment scene in the Bourne Identity, but the Bourne Supremacy went for the jerky camera so you can’t see what’s happening effect. The Hunted also had some grisly kali scenes. I like the lack of dramatic music.

One movie scene I’ve never heard analyzed is the curbie scene from American History X. Now there’s a crappy situation to be in. I would NOT put my teeth on that curb- I’d take my chances with the gun.

kravmdjeff

CLFMak, actually \”Bourne\” went for the jerky camera to simulate how a real fight would look…not as clear and clean…but more realistic from the director’s perspective.

I think the reason that you don’t hear much about the scene from \”American History X\” is because the curbing is more about Ed Norton’s character’s hatred than it is about the physical violence that occurs. Which is also the whole reason why he doesn’t shoot the kid but rather opts to curb him.

Watching X-Men III over the weekend, I also thought a lot about how Wolverine doesn’t really use his claws all that efficiently. I mean, it’s part of his personality to just engage in a standoff with bigger opponents and still try to muscle them, but given the fact that he’s got three blades attached to each hand, he could benefit from some Filipino training, I think.

anonymous

Yes, Wolverine should develop his very own fighting style. I wonder if there are any actual weapons (maybe ancient weapons?) out there that consist of artificial claws attached to the hands? Some weird Ninja stuff or something.

By the way, if you got to see X-Men, stay through the credits, there’s something extra at the end.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: