Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Self defense against dogs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    edsko

(Follow-on from a few messages in stevetuna’s thread, “hurt at work today”)

I have often wondered about how to defend against dogs. Are there any people in KM that study that kind of thing? Somebody wrote a small book about it:

http://www.lwcbooks.com/books/ebookdog.html

Did anybody read it? Any good?

Any other references perhaps?

kravmdjeff

Re: Self defense against dogs

This thread has come up many, many times in the past. Try the search function for previous comments on the subject.

Also, if there are any KM instructors on the message boards who are also LE officers who work with K-9’s, they may have some insight since they work with larger, well-trained dogs on a regular basis.

bracius

Round kick block if the dog leaps for you, If the dog goes for your leg then your screwed I suppose.

This is a light observation from having a dog slobber attack me. I just simply lifted my knee and was able to save my hamburger from the assault. I guess have a hamburger with you when you go to a site?

anywho, I want to bounce this of my instructors at my studio. Got plenty of LEO’s there that can provide some good insight

midnighter

quote Bracius:

This is a light observation from having a dog slobber attack me. I just simply lifted my knee and was able to save my hamburger from the assault. I guess have a hamburger with you when you go to a site?

lmao

yes, carry a hamburger with you 24/7 thumbsup

stevetuna

Yeah, just don’t carry the hamburger in your shirtsleeve like I did…

prekarious1

Vast majority of dogs will jump at you when they attack, simply front kick them in the throat as they cannot see below their heads. If you try coming at them from a lateral or overhead angle, trust me a dogs head and mouth is faster than you.
    For the rare occasion that they go low, side step and see whats open

dunc

well I’ve got a dog, a very non violent one, wouldn’t hurt a flea.

I can tell you she’s quicker, more determined and more creative at sparring than anyone i’ve met training. she’ll also be coming at you too low too fast, like a furry Exocet.

Assume the dog WILL get the first bite on.

Then, do what you can to actually kill it, because it thinks it’s trying to killl you.

I have no idea how that can be acheived. Maybe you can rip its windpipe out.

Possibly, if you try to kick it and miss, where do you think it’s next soft tissue target is?

love

dunc

clfmak

You should do a search- I’m sure this has come up before and there were good comments made.

I’ve fought a dog before. I’ve had my left foot shredded up by a coyote as a kid. There’s no “simply kick them in the throat” anymore than there is a simple solution to some deranged person with a knife trying to stab you.

dunc

plan B

you’re basically a big monkey.

climb something.

then use that oversized primate brain to call 911.
    or snipers.

peace.

parishd

I once got accosted by a very large dog, at least 2/3’s of my body weight. Fortunately for me, s/he (didn’t have time to check :OhMy:) was more interested in dominating the encounter than injuring me. I just kept facing the dog, but averting my eyes and backing away slowly, and it turned out okay. If it had actually been intent on injuring me, I don’t think there is much I could have done to stop it. Very scary!

jjbklb

Don’t get down to eye level.
    Don’t try to stare it down.
    Don’t offer your hand to sniff when a dog approaches
    Turn somewhat to the side rather than facing it right on.
    Keep your voice gentle
    If you’re running when the dog comes towards you,slow down to a walk so as not to stimulate the predator chase instinct.

Above is from a nationally renowed dog behavioralist at a seminar this year.

devilnuts

Maybe this is uninformed, but wouldnt a thumb in the eye also help against animals?

silas

Like with human opponants it’s important to understand the weaknesses of thier physiology. For instance with dogs some weak points are, thier upper back directly behind thier front shoulders and a little lower if you can control/imobalise this you can stay out of range and control the dog. Also keep in mind that dogs dont have strength in thier legs for side to side movement, ie. if you butterfly a dogs front legs theres really not much they can do about it and in some species you can kill them this way. Other tips: never underestimate a dogs “wiggle” ability (i know that sounds silly but its the best way i can think to sum it up, kinda like a snake they wiggle around and squirm so if you latch on make sure its a good hold and you’re ready to really hold); a dogs favorite attack is to bite and shake, this is what does the most damage so if a bite is inevitable shove in his target as far in his mouth as possible and keep pushing in and control his head NEVER PULL BACK, the dog is going to pull back and shake (think of when you play with dogs) dive in and try your best to destabalise his center of gravity and negate is ability to shake. There are alot of other techniques ive been shown that i have a hard time explaining. One last thing keep in mind a dogs only real weapon is his teeth /jaw, he can scratch with his claws but that will mostly just hurt not do serious damage and he can really only do that effectivly while on his back with you on top, he cant punch, kick, grapple, or pull a knife/gun, so keep your attention focused on his mouth. Oh yeah and if bitten NEVER PULL BACK and dont run unless you are very close to a obstacle you know he can get over/around as fast or faster than you. These are tips ive gathered from my own observations and from people who know from experience/training including a canine cop.

stevetuna

quote Silas:

a dogs favorite attack is to bite and shake.

Yup. Sure is…

bracius

quote Midnighter:

lmao

yes, carry a hamburger with you 24/7 thumbsup

Hey, can you blame the dog? I make a bad arse hamburger! I also smoke my own brisket. I’ve even had a competitive BBQ’er admit that my brisket is better than his and was offered money to show him how. 🙂

But back to the topic…every dog that has attacked me or play attacked me has always attack at the “forward” weapons (my front paws) or the face… I can totally see this being a primal sense of combat for the dog.

Throat / back of head to pin the other “dog” down for the kill. So my defense would have to be to scream “NOT THE FACE”. A close second would be the suggest front kick / front defensive kick or a high knee.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: