Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Self defense/use of force taught in Krav

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

Re: Self defense/use of force taught in Krav

Jan –

First of all, were you at Darren Levine’s workshop in Scarsdale in May? That was a great time.

As for me giving anything that could be construed as being legal advice, um, no I cannot and will not, as I am unqualified to do so. I am a police detective. I spend two or so days of my work week in the criminal court. I’m also a Krav Maga instructor. Neither of those activities makes me a lawyer, however… Without the benefit of having stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I can say that the theories of reasonable prudence and force disparity are concepts that I have learned about in the course of my law enforcement career.

So… Take those two concepts and apply them to your questions. Is there a disparity of force when facing multiple attackers? Could you clearly articulate why you’re in more danger in a situation such as that? Of course you could! Next – if a reasonable, prudent man would be able to run away to escape trouble, then he’s expected to do so. But would a reasonable, prudent man be able to effect a similar escape if he’s got his three young children with him? Of course not. Therefore, would that man have more latitude to respond to a dangerous situation? I’d sure think so.

I hope that helps. Now, I’m off to the mailbox to see if any school has sent me a law degree yet…

miriam

quote stevetuna:

Jan –

First of all, were you at Darren Levine’s workshop in Scarsdale in May? That was a great time.

As for me giving anything that could be construed as being legal advice, um, no I cannot and will not, as I am unqualified to do so. I am a police detective. I spend two or so days of my work week in the criminal court. I’m also a Krav Maga instructor. Neither of those activities makes me a lawyer, however… Without the benefit of having stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I can say that the theories of reasonable prudence and force disparity are concepts that I have learned about in the course of my law enforcement career.

So… Take those two concepts and apply them to your questions. Is there a disparity of force when facing multiple attackers? Could you clearly articulate why you’re in more danger in a situation such as that? Of course you could! Next – if a reasonable, prudent man would be able to run away to escape trouble, then he’s expected to do so. But would a reasonable, prudent man be able to effect a similar escape if he’s got his three young children with him? Of course not. Therefore, would that man have more latitude to respond to a dangerous situation? I’d sure think so.

I hope that helps. Now, I’m off to the mailbox to see if any school has sent me a law degree yet…

Hey, Steve… for what it’s worth, you’re more logical and a more eloquent speaker (writer) than a lot of lawyers I know! :D:

bradm

Stevetuna, great response. Gave me some food for thought.

Jan,
    About multiple attackers and beating the first one unconscious before tending to the others. I’m not sure that would be possible or even a good idea in all senarios. I doubt a guys buddies would stand by and watch while someone was attempting to beat him inconscious. They would probably jump in quickly to help their buddy. You need to defend the attack and counter immeadiately and disengage quickly to either defend another attack or escape.

jamesh-d30

You all should take this multiple attacker scenario to a new thread, it’ll bring up some great discussions IMO.

saruotoko

quote unstpabl1:

Ah man are you saying we can’t kick lawyers here:mad: No wonder their so arrogant….Except Miriam of course on both counts

Good save, Unstpabl1. 😉

If Miriam is as tough a cookie in the courtroom as she is at the school, I’d hate to be opposing counsel.

See ya in class next week, Miriam!

Mario (KM S.O.)

miriam

quote saruotoko:

Good save, Unstpabl1. 😉

If Miriam is as tough a cookie in the courtroom as she is at the school, I’d hate to be opposing counsel.

Mario (KM S.O.)

Well, thanks very much, Mario! I am rather hoarse today from yelling during class last night…but I had to keep it up to La Revancha’s standards… LOL!!!

But your comment makes me laugh, though, because my m.o. has always been to play the blond card and just let ’em think I’m dumb. Potential rewards from that are great. Especially in deposition when I anticipate that the witness is going to say something that isn’t correct (e.g., he’s gonna lie). So instead of asking my question directly, I ask all kinds of general, round about questions to fence him in and leave him no wiggle room to explain away the ultimate answer… and then I go in for the kill -> ask the question after those others so that now if he lies, he completely contradicts himself… BWAHAHAHA!!!

Ugh.. enough lawyer talk. Back to work now.

unstpabl1

quote saruotoko:

Good save, Unstpabl1. 😉

Mario (KM S.O.)

Ha. I may be annoying but never think I’m stupid:woohoo:

I’m afraid of Miriam, besides I get in a lotta trouble, I may need her one day;):

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Miriam:

I ask all kinds of general, round about questions to fence him in and leave him no wiggle room to explain away the ultimate answer… and then I go in for the kill -> ask the question after those others so that now if he lies, he completely contradicts himself… BWAHAHAHA!!!

You frighten me

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

You frighten me

Nice to know great minds think alike

jesse

And women wonder why we don’t talk as much…anything we don’t say can’t be used against us…or can…or nevermind I’m male so I’m wrong!
    bow1
    And, yes, I’m happily married. I know I am because my wife tells me so.

saruotoko

quote Miriam:

Well, thanks very much, Mario! I am rather hoarse today from yelling during class last night…but I had to keep it up to La Revancha’s standards… LOL!!!

But your comment makes me laugh, though, because my m.o. has always been to play the blond card and just let ’em think I’m dumb. Potential rewards from that are great. Especially in deposition when I anticipate that the witness is going to say something that isn’t correct (e.g., he’s gonna lie). So instead of asking my question directly, I ask all kinds of general, round about questions to fence him in and leave him no wiggle room to explain away the ultimate answer… and then I go in for the kill -> ask the question after those others so that now if he lies, he completely contradicts himself… BWAHAHAHA!!!

Ugh.. enough lawyer talk. Back to work now.

There you have it, ladies & gentlemen. Proof positive Miriam is more than a pretty face. lol

Go get ’em, Counselor! See you in class this week!

Mario “El Guapo” Alaniz
    “The Killer of Forum Threads”

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: