Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    smokelaw1

Just curious…what kind of shoes are people training in?
    I am thinking of getting some wrestling shoes, as I do not like sneakers, but they aren’t what I wear ever day either, so not so realistic. then again, I am not training in a suit and dress-shoes either…

giant-killer

We’ve had a couple of threads about shoes. I personally like wrestling shoes. I used to twist my ankle a lot, accidently stepping on something or someone in class during drills, but since I’ve gotten the wrestling shoes, my ankles only get twisted due to ankle locks. 😀

As for training in a business suit, I think it’s a good idea to do sometimes. Maybe we should all come to class once in a while dressed in street clothes, just to see what it would be like to fight in tight jeans or high heels (for the ladies), as well as how to use certain items in a defensive manner (such as a briefcase as a shield, umbrella as a stick etc).

smokelaw1

Thanks, GK. I can just see the looks I’d get if I showed up to class in a suit! Regardless, i think it would be a good idea to at least doa little traiing in more work-like clothes, maybe pants and a collared shirt, not the whole suit.

I’m going to look into wrestling shoes. I actually went last night before class, as I had called the local shoe store and was told they were on clearance. Only issue was, they only had size 7 (I’m an 11).

Oh, and by the way, my wife and I were out at the NTC 2 weeks ago, and popped in, looked around. I asked a guy behind the counter for \”The guy that goes by the name GiantKiller on line.\” When he responded \”Oh, she’s in a fight class, do you want to meet her?\” Well, let’s just say my wife now thinks I am meeting women on the internet! Oops. And I apologize for making assumptions.

spartankrav

I go with wrestling shoes too for a few reasons. First, they lace up higher giving you the ankle support GK talked about. Also, tennis shoes are designed with only forward movement in mind so when you move laterally you tend to almost trip on the sides. Finally, you get better foot rotation on the balls of you feet when throwing punches in wrestling shoes. They just give better than tennis shoes. I don’t know if we are allowed to plug sites, but check out wrestlinggear.com. Good prices and I got them pretty quickly.

bradm

I think the term tennis shoes is generic in this text. Actual tennis shoes (court shoes) are designed to give you lateral support because there is a lot of lateral movement – quick side to side and stopping and reversing direction in tennis. Cross trainers or walking shoes, also referred to generically as tennis shoes, on the other hand, may not give that lateral support.

I know a lot of people who use wrestling shoes and are quite happy with them. Personally, I always used New Balance crosstrainers. They always worked fine for me. I had no problem pivoting when punching or kicking.

spartankrav

Good point BradM. I had running shoes in mind. Not made for lateral movement.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”smokelaw1\:

Well, let’s just say my wife now thinks I am meeting women on the internet! Oops. And I apologize for making assumptions.

😆 Had to be an interesting ride home 😈 😆

smokelaw1

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

quote \”smokelaw1\:

Well, let’s just say my wife now thinks I am meeting women on the internet! Oops. And I apologize for making assumptions.

😆 Had to be an interesting ride home 😈 😆

Especially when you consider that we were on day 3 of our 9 day trip, north to Yosemite, then on a plane back home to CT. She had mostly forgotten about it until we got home and I went to my first training session back.
    😆

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”smokelaw1\:

[
    Especially when you consider that we were on day 3 of our 9 day trip, north to Yosemite, then on a plane back home to CT. She had mostly forgotten about it until we got home and I went to my first training session back.
    😆

I’m betting you made the boner move of not waiting to meet GK 😉 That way you could’ve gushed about how you didn’t know, called yourself a chauvanist slime and disarmed your wife. Either that or ya shoulda called me, I have a case of body colored foam ear plugs. I use em on dates when they start talkin serious relationship crap, how the clock is ticking 😆 or shopping.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

To swing this back on topic for a sec.

Ankle support is important but the shoe sole design plays a very important role in lateral movement.

If I might suggest for you to look at the bottom of the shoe and see if there is a large circle pattern about where the balls of your front arch ends. Thatís a pivot point.

I personally use split sole Asics

giant-killer

Hey, I’ve got fans asking for me at the front desk!! 😀

Too bad no one told me. I guess they don’t want me to get all cocky about it. 😉

Sorry about the misunderstanding and for ruining a perfectly good marriage. 🙂

Still, if you’re in town again, don’t be shy to enter fight class and settle it the Krav way… 😈 😆

vwr32

Someone try these and let me know how they are. 😛

http://www.disciplinefootwear.com/
    In particular the Jaewoo Mids 😀

blindfold

I train in Puma’s, because I like the very fitted feel of them. The only problem is with round kicks. The traction is very good and makes it harder to pivot on my feet. Other than that I wear New Balance Cross Trainers.

Also I wear shorts and tank top to work, so I actually put on more clothes for class. 🙂

smokelaw1

I went to another store last night, and got a pair of the less expensive asics. I didn’t want to jump into $100 shoes before I knew if I like the style to train in.
    Well, I loved it. The difference between them and the running shoes I had been traiing in is night and day. For one, running shoes had ZERO lateral support, and always felt like I was going to roll and ankle. Kicking with them is almost natural.
    They did not, unfortunately, help me from being choked out by our second most advanced student in a rear naked. Ouch. My ground game blows.

As for my wife, whe got over it, and believed me that I did not consider a person’s gender important when talking to them on line about Krav.

GK–I don’t think I’m quite ready to settle things the krav way with you…haven’t taken the level two test yet. Next time, I will enter a Fight class, though. I am in town again next Friday afternoon through sunday…

giant-killer

I used to have the Asics, but I always felt I needed a while to truly break them in. Now I have Adidas wrestling shoes, red/black, forget the name, something with \”Combat\” I believe. Got them over the web and love them, they fit from day one and are still working fine. The only drawback of wrestling shoes is that they don’t protect the toes as much as regular sneakers. But better a jammed toe than a twisted ankle. 🙂

On the weekends, I’m usually there Saturdays for the ground fighting. Good class.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: