Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    cecole

Hello. I am 37 and out of shape. My Birthday was Feb 11, and on that day I gave up beer and an working on my 20 year smoking habit. A friend of mine recommended Krav Maga as a way to get fit because I get bored at the gym to fast. I would like to know what I should do to prepare for classes. I am off to a free class on Tuesday and would like to get an idea of what to expect. Will it be heart attack inducing PT or do they build you up slowly ? Any input is appreciated and I thank you in advance

maddogmean

Re: Some Newb Questions.

I was in a similar situation when I first joined. I was 36 and not in the best shape. I tried going to the gym and usually stayed for 10 minutes. I’ve always had an interest in martial arts and wanted to give KM a try. My first class was a killer. I won’t lie. But you can go at your own pace and you will be able to do more after each class. That’s the great thing about KM, anyone can do it. If you get hooked like everyone on this forumn has, you will find that fitness part of it is almost a bonus. You’re learning to defend yourself and getting in shape while doing it. Good luck in your first class.

kirsten

Cecole, take a minute before class to introduce yourself to the instructor and tell them your current fitness leve. They will most likely tell you pace yourself and do what you can. Everyone has to start somewhere, and everyone started with their first class and had to move a bit at their own pace.

Your going to have fun! If you feel bad, slow down or stop and take a break then jump back in when you feel better. Good luck!!

jjbklb

Don’t go to class with a big meal in your stomach.

In case you don’t take this advice,at least bring a plastic bag along for ‘take-out’.

Water and a no quit attitude. The first couple of classes will most likely be a killer but stick with it and it will all be worth it.

smokelaw1

I can not stress the importance of checking your pride at the door. Sure, push yourself. Even push hard…but for at least those first few classes, do NOT be embarresed or feel bad for taking a knee, walking over and grabbing a drink/some air. Everyone you’ll be partnering with is either new enough to remember, or experienced enough to have seen it all a ton. No one will judge you for it.
    I’ve seen people push themselves too hard that first class, have a bad time, and not come back. Where does that get you?

That said…there’s a difference between knowing your limits and quitting when it starts to get a little hard, but I imiange you already know that.

Have fun, train hard, and let us all know how it goes!!

inky

I started last September and i’m still struggling with smoking, 20year habit as well, not going to lie to ya it’s going to burn for a while.
    After just a few weeks it will be easy to make it a full hour or 2 and not be constantly out of breath, just remember every time you relaps and smoke it’s almost like going back to the start again.
    Krav Maga is a big motavation for me to quit so good luck and go your own pace.
    I can remember my first kickboxing class, i think i spent more time bent over breathing then i did hitting the bag.

~Cheers!

carpecanis

Same deal here. I joined up shortly after my 36th birthday and I’ve been going for three years. I dropped 15lbs in the first month of classes and got into the best shape of my life.

Yes, the first few classes will be awful. However, every class will be a little easier than the one before. Before you know it, it’ll be… well not exactly a breeze… but you’ll at least become familiar with the pain. No matter how crappy you feel, you always have one more punch, kick, whatever, in you so do it!

Just remember: Every one of your classmates, even the ones that thought they were in shape, went through the same process.

Oh, and I can see giving up on the cigarettes, but the beer? Moderation is the key…

cecole

Thanks for the input. So far, i am 6 hours with no smokes, and went to an arobics class with the Wife and Sister in law since I had an erley day. That was tough. I will report after tuesday night when I go to the freebie on how it went.

unstpabl1

I quit 10 years ago. A buddy of mine just quit using that new pill. i honestly never thought he’d ever be able to quit, so it may be an option.

I don’t know you, but I absolutely know you can get thru the class…. but be willing to take the breaks “YOU” need. Don’t waste yourself in the 1st 10 minutes. i’ve seen 20 somethings quit trial classes in that short of time. I think having the mentality of If I can do 10 minutes only today, I’ll get to 15 tomorrow may help and you’ll probably suprise yourself and finish. Also, follow Kirstens advice

The thing is to find an activity you really “ENJOY” doing. You want to associate not smoking with having FUN and not creating more pain for yourself. Most of the time we set ourselves up for failure by trying to accomplish too much too fast. We sabotage ourselves. However you must stay active now

Quiting smoking now is your top priority and the best thing you have ever done for yourself. I wish you the best

mike

bradm

Quiting smoking is easy. The problem is not starting again. I know, ’cause I quit several times. I finally STOPPED smoking in November 1966. Good luck. The advice given here forKrav is sound. Go at your own pace until your body gets adjusted to it.

cecole

I got the instructors name off of the Krav Maga Worldwide (this) web site. I will be going in Webster Texas. Will this class be diffrent then the one offered at the studio down town ? I have seen the down town location from the highway and it looks pretty dedicated. At the place I am going in Webster, It looks like the instructor teaches a few other Martial Arts. In you all’s experience does this detract from the quality of the training ?

kirsten

Thats a big question… Most all KM instructors I know teach something other than just Krav Maga. Some will teach BJJ, other MT, some TKD, some Karate, some MMA… But that should not detract from the Krav Maga program. You may find that it makes that instructor more well rounded. But you will be the best judge. Take time to talk to other students, ask how long the students have been training there, meet the instructors and be direct with them when you ask about their program. Good luck and have fun with your trial lesson.

unstpabl1

quote BradM:

Quiting smoking is easy. The problem is not starting again. I know, ’cause I quit several times. I finally STOPPED smoking in November 1966, on my 66th birthday .

I corrected your post for you Brad:wav::jerry:

bradm

Ha, Ha, Ha Mike — very funny. That would make me 110 years old now. I must say, I look retty good for my age.

Take care my friend,
    Brad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: