Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    charlie1

I’ve been in level two for a few months and we’re doing a lot more sparring. Is there anything I can do, in addition to continuing to spar, to improve my offense/defense? I’m getting somewhat better at my defensive techniques, using what we’ve learned in class, but my offense is definitely lacking. I really not sure what combinations to throw at different times. Is there anything that’s helped others in this regard (instructional videos, one-on-one lessons with instructors, heavy bag work, exercises, etc).

don

Re: Sparring Help

Without seeing you spar, it can be hard to narrow down areas of concern or improvement. Timing, range/distance, reflexes/reaction, Footwork, speed/quickness/explosiveness, efficiency, telegraphing/non-telegraphing, etc. Google “five ways of attack” and see if that helps any…

nate

A lot of getting comfortable on the offensive is just getting used to movement and interpreting attacks coming in.

3 generic things that help

1. Practice fight stance movement – walk around in fight stance, chin tucked, guard up. Pivot, forward, backward, sideways, cut angles. Also practice head movement.

2. Practice fight stance movement and add combos – same thing just add some combos and if you can get a friend to hold mits / gloves for you and call out combos, huge help.

3. Impact training – get used to getting punched in the face / body. Have a friend punch you lightly (or heavier as you can take it) while you stay in one position, chin tucked. Follow them with your eyes and get your psyche used to punches coming in to your computer.

Like Don says, without seeing a video, it’s hard to comment on how to improve. But those 3 things will help out anyone who’s new to sparring.

kmyoshi

I myself lack in throwing offensive combinations. I usually just throw one or two punches and move out of the way. Thai pads and focus mitts will help you build up your combinations. I found myself improving by sparring with someone that has more experience than I do (ergo getting my butt kicked) and having them critique me on how I can improve, what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it, etc.. Shadow boxing helps as well.

kevinmack

defense-offense-defense

You cant attack if you get knocked out. You need to feel confident in your defense first if you dont you wont move in for the attack.
    Commit to your attack. If you are going in…GO IN!

t-krav

I like hitting the pads and the heavy bag and found my hands would hurt quite bit. I wrap my hands like this youtube video. You’ll see a ton of how to vids and probably want to experiment with a few styles. Personally I found this style works best for me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcju0_qTe_A&feature=related

charlie1

Thank you for all the replies and advice. I know I need improvement in all areas of sparring and I think I’m getting better with time. One comment that my instructor recently mentioned is that “my kicks are getting much better and that I tend to kick the opponent really well, but fail to drive in with further attacks.” As a result, I wind up having to go back on the defensive, trying to fend off kicks and punches

I’ve think I’m doing this quick punch/kick and then defend mode because I’ve recently gotten tagged pretty good (at about 80% power) when I’ve been more aggressive and I’m probably a little gun shy. I know this is the part of the process and I need to be more aggressive and keep my chin down and hands up to block.

What I’ve been looking for, and maybe I’m trying to get too technical, is trying to figure out what punches/kicks/combos work well in a given situation. For example; your opponent throws a hard right round kick. What would be the best offense to initiate?

esquire32

I am certainly no expert, but I used to have the same “sparring issues” way back in the point sparring days. Much different than Krav Sparring, but some principles are universal. I thought too much about what to do. My instructor simply said to memorize 6 or so multiple strike combinations. For Krav , those could be some of the combos/focus mitt drills we already work on. Then, when you square off and you feel its time to go, simply throw yourself into that combo essentially thinking focus mitt drill and don’t focus or even worry much about what the other person does. Of course, working defenses , angles, etc needs to occur, but to bust the aggression bubble so to speak I found it helpful. It clears the mind and you just stand in front of them and say to yourself, “Combo 4 ..combo 6, etc” and do it with hesitation.

kmyoshi

If someone throws a right round house kick and you see it coming, you can either step back and have him show his dead side to you, than you can go in for the attacks (if he doesn’t recover well) or block it with your left leg (if you are right-handed with your left leg forward) and punch at the same time with a right cross, once you land that punch, go in with a combination left-right, left hook and another right cross and move out… plenty of ways to go about it.

kevinmack

the best defense to a right roundhouse kick IMO is to just burst in with a right cross(straight punch). In my opinion…dont even kick till you have your hands down pat. The amount of pressure you can put on your opponent with your hands far outweighs anything you can do with kicks. A kick probably wont end a fight but a punch might. Using kicks when you dont feel confident with your punches will constantly put you in a bad spot.

charlie1

quote KevinMack:

the best defense to a right roundhouse kick IMO is to just burst in with a right cross(straight punch). In my opinion…dont even kick till you have your hands down pat. The amount of pressure you can put on your opponent with your hands far outweighs anything you can do with kicks. A kick probably wont end a fight but a punch might. Using kicks when you dont feel confident with your punches will constantly put you in a bad spot.

Yes. Thanks. I think that might be part of the problem I’m having. I’m trying to use kicks to either keep the other guy away or as a set up to punches and I’m getting in trouble. I do need hand work improvement, but sometimes we spar using just punches (no kicks) and I seem to do a lot better. I think I’m worried that when I burst in I’ll get caught by a kick, but maybe (correct me if I’m wrong please) that’s unlikely.

don

Try searching “round kick defense” on YouTube and see if any of the techniques make sense or work for you…

nate

quote KMyoshi:

If someone throws a right round house kick and you see it coming, you can either step back and have him show his dead side to you

This.

Most of the time right round kicks will be slow enough (if you’re not going full speed and power etc) to see early and get out of the way. Step back, wait for the kick to pass and then burst in, combo and get out.

Other times you can check the kick (if you’re wearing shin guards – sucks in real life), and then step in with right straight and get offline.

Just have a friend work with you and pick one thing to try in a round (ie: this round i’m gonna concentrate on only seeing right round kicks early and getting out of the way), and experiment with it and see what works with you.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Welcome back to the forums Nate~

t-krav

There some great advise in this thread. One that I would amplify to help with the offense component is the pick 3 combinations and use them while sparring. Commit to the combination and then just execute it – not everything is going to land but that’s a given.

Stuff like:
    1,2,3 leg kick and then move out of the way
    1,2, 3 to the body, 6 and then move out of the way
    2 to the body, 2 to the body, fake a 2 to the body and land a 3 to the head – and then move out of the way

ps – I especially love Kevin Mack’s suggestion of defense against a round kick. I hate absorbing those suckers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: