Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kmyoshi

Re: Sparring Help

That’s right, I haven’t even thought about the shin guards NOT being there when absorbing a kick. Ouch!

charlie1

quote t-krav:

There some great advise in this thread. One that I would amplify to help with the offense component is the pick 3 combinations and use them while sparring. Commit to the combination and then just execute it – not everything is going to land but that’s a given.

Stuff like:
    1,2,3 leg kick and then move out of the way
    1,2, 3 to the body, 6 and then move out of the way
    2 to the body, 2 to the body, fake a 2 to the body and land a 3 to the head – and then move out of the way

ps – I especially love Kevin Mack’s suggestion of defense against a round kick. I hate absorbing those suckers.

Thanks T-Krav. I definitely have to work on forming combinations. I tend to go in and just “wing it on offense”, mainly throwing jabs and crosses, and some kicks. It worked well in the beginning, but not so much anymore as everyone in the class is getting better and probably can read my limited offense.

kevinmack

Here are some of my opinions on Krav Maga sparring and Fight classes. This is from a discussion on Facebook. I just cut and pasted it so I dont know how it is going to format. I apologize if iys ugly and sloppy.I am Kevin McCafferty(Mack)

• Kevin McCafferty there is a lot more to Krav Maga as a fighting style than groin shots and eye gouges. It has its own unique strategies,combination theory(retsef),pressures and even techniques. And it can all be trained ALIVE with real timing and resistance unlike a lot of the self defense techniques. A lot of this has been lost or forgotten in its transfer to the American marketplace but if you went to Haim Zuts or any of Eli Avikzars Krav Magen schools and told them they need to crosstrain to learn how to fight they would laugh at you. This is not a critique of the Fit to Fight program. Its a great program and schools should adopt it. I just wanted to make a point.28 January at 23:10 · Like
    • Fit to Fight Kevin, while there are certainly some good fighting centers out there, this post references, clearly I think, most centers. Furthermore, those centers got that way as a result of cross training. Imi was a boxer and wrestler. That said, I have to disagree with “it can all be trained ALIVE”. While you theoretically COULD train eye gouges, etc., live, I know of no one that does (for obvious reasons.)28 January at 23:16 · Like · 1
    • Kevin McCafferty I agree…I meant to say the fighting can be done alive without the dirty stuff and still be Alive. For example..Muay Thai,American kickboxing,knockdown Karate,Yaw Yan and Savate all are kickboxing styles of fighting with similar tools but they all have a unique look/flavor with their own strategies and approach to fighting which makes them unique. Krav Maga as a style of fighting also has this even though from a superficial viewpoint it would look like just kickboxing. I feel that the more recent approach to marketing the system as just a self defense style has allowed the fighting aspect of the art to wain outside of Israel.28 January at 23:22 · Like
    • Fit to Fight I think we are in agreement. I think you’d like what we are doing. Take care.28 January at 23:24 · Like
    • Kevin McCafferty It just makes me cring when I hear people say(not this status update) in order for Krav Maga students to learn how to fight you have to train in the Bas Rutten System or some other system when there is a whole fighting component of KM that is being lost.28 January at 23:24 · Like
    • Fit to Fight In “our” Krav Maga, a major component of the curriculum is fighting. I understand what you are saying but stick with the precepts of the original post, as we do not believe the majority of centers train with real fighting as a part of the curriculum (nor are the instructors taught to fight or teach fighting.)28 January at 23:33 · Like
    • Kevin McCafferty Totally agree. Good luck with everything.28 January at 23:34 · Like · 1
    • Fit to Fight One more thing, Kevin. You said, “if you went to Haim Zuts or any of Eli Avikzars Krav Magen schools and told them they need to crosstrain to learn how to fight they would laugh at you.” If this is true, how do they improve? How do they grow? How do they get better, if they never look outside of what they are doing? Thanks!29 January at 00:03 · Like · 2
    • Adam Davis The last line of this couldn’t be more perfect.29 January at 00:19 · Like
    • Kevin McCafferty I am not saying that they dont “crosstrain” per se but that they dont crosstrain and morph into what they are training and lose what is uniquely theirs. In regards to traditional Israeli Krav Maga and even my own school its not that we cant learn from other arts/systems/sports but I dont feel we are lacking in so much as techniques but in standards. We can improve our standard of fighting with what we already have. We already have our width now we just need to improve our depth.29 January at 00:36 · Like · 1
    kmyoshi

Well I train at both the NTC in LA. From my understanding, the KM Self Defense classes (level 1/2) has very little “live” sparring. Sure you have choke defenses but those are compliant drills, ergo the attacker is not resisting. There has been certain instructors teaching level 2 classes that incorporate live sparring but the majority of them do not. From my understanding, live sparring is not used until level 3 and above, hence the reason why I have to take the fight classes to get my live training in. I’m not sure if the fight classes at the NTC are part of the Bas Rutten System or not… they don’t market it that way, just “Fight Classes”.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: