Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Starting KM training next week, any tips?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone,
    So I am starting Krav Maga training next week (Monday or Tuesday) and am hoping I will like it enough to decide to go back. I am 22 and have done various martial arts but I pretty young at the time. I got bored of all of the other things that I tried because I had no interest in looking pretty when doing my “forms,” but instead I wanted to be able to defend myself in real situations. I have a few questions for you guys…

The place I am going to go to charges $100/month. Is that reasonable?

I know there are different belts, but how much training is required to move up and how long does it usually take?

How many days should I go a week?

Should I incorporate my lifting routine into everything? if so, how much lifting vs. KM?

Those are just a couple questions I have off of the top of my head, but any additional advice would be awesome…thanks a lot everyone

kmman

Re: Starting KM training next week, any tips?

I’m not an expert but…..

1. $100 is very reasonable. Unlimited classes?
    2. Go 2-4 times a week. Some go more. Based on your age it’s your call. Some instructors may have better answer. 22 is great age.
    3. Definitely lift and crosstrain.

Good luck. Based on what you wrote Im sure you’re going to love Krav Maga.

PS: Nothing “pretty” in Krav Maga 🙂

ds314

$100 – Some feel that this is expensive. However if you go on average 3 times a week that is about $8.33 per 1 hour class. The more you go the better value you are getting. Take advantage of the unlimited classes then it’s definitely worth the $100.

DS314

unstpabl1

Advice for krav. Learn to count in Hebrew and you’ll need a yamulke to wear;):

Actually just hydrate and bring water. The class will take care of itself. Don’t go hogwild from the get go. Pace yourself. As to xtraining after joining. At first just try to develope the krav thru the krav. You’ll get a total w/o thru it while developing skill. Krav can be intense and your body will thrive on it if you give it a chance to adapt to the training

Beginners have the habit of letting their enthusiasm write checks their bodies can’t cash. They “always” seem to try to do too much too soon. Give your body a chance to recpouperate.

Maybe do krav every other day for a bit with active rest on the off days. Later on you can add xtraining to your routine as needed.

Start smart

parishd

I’ll second the comment about not pushing too hard at first. Just in the three months I’ve been training, I’ve seen quite a few people start their free trial only to overdo it and never be seen again.

A couple of older, prospective students actually asked my thoughts about the training after watching a class (I’m one of the older students) and this is exactly what I told them. One took the comment to heart and is still training, the other did not and looked like death warmed over after only the first 20 minutes of class. He made it to through the entire class, but I’ve not seen him since.

quote KMMAN:

I’m not an expert but…..

1. $100 is very reasonable. Unlimited classes?
    2. Go 2-4 times a week. Some go more. Based on your age it’s your call. Some instructors may have better answer. 22 is great age.
    3. Definitely lift and crosstrain.

Good luck. Based on what you wrote Im sure you’re going to love Krav Maga.

PS: Nothing “pretty” in Krav Maga 🙂

Yes, the $100 is for unlimited classes. They hold 6 classes per week, 3 times a day so I have plenty of options of when and how much I can go. Thanks a lot for the info…. and I am pretty jacked up that I don’t need to learn “Tiger form” for 8 months before actually having a chance at defending myself haha

quote unstpabl1:

Advice for krav. Learn to count in Hebrew and you’ll need a yamulke to wear;):

Actually just hydrate and bring water. The class will take care of itself. Don’t go hogwild from the get go. Pace yourself. As to xtraining after joining. At first just try to develope the krav thru the krav. You’ll get a total w/o thru it while developing skill. Krav can be intense and your body will thrive on it if you give it a chance to adapt to the training

Beginners have the habit of letting their enthusiasm write checks their bodies can’t cash. They “always” seem to try to do too much too soon. Give your body a chance to recpouperate.

Maybe do krav every other day for a bit with active rest on the off days. Later on you can add xtraining to your routine as needed.

Start smart

So how does this sound… the first month or so I just do krav 3-5 times a week and keep that as my sole workout. A little farther into the summer I start benching and doing light workouts once or twice a week just to retain muscle mass. How does that sound?

kevin-mack

where will you be training at?

Premier Martial Arts in Glen Mills… I will probably start next week. Where do you train?

cmetalman

TheMedicineMaestro, the Premier school in Glen Mills is a great school,it’s owned and runned by Ernie Kirk, I go to the Premier school in havertown since it’s only two streets from my house and I try to get down to Glen Mills on saturdays when possible.

unstpabl1

quote TheMedicineMaestro:

So how does this sound… the first month or so I just do krav 3-5 times a week and keep that as my sole workout. A little farther into the summer I start benching and doing light workouts once or twice a week just to retain muscle mass. How does that sound?

Realizing that your 22 and letting you know I’m looking at it from almost 50.

This is my feeling from being here awhile. I think making it your sole w/o for a few months is a great idea. I’m pretty sure most instructors would agree. 3 days a week probably a good goal w active rest days between. Go for a walk, ez jog, stretch, YRG which is Yoga For Regular Guys things like thay. Don’t wrinkle your nose at the YRG as being a chick thingrofl2 Google it. I learned about it from full contact no armour stickfighters and BJJ guys are all over yoga.

My hesitency in saying do it 5 days is that based on history here. I think the odds are against hearing from you again a few months down the line here if you start off that quickly. With a 22 y/o its probably more of a burnout thing than a nonrecovery issue

I think your on the right track though. I’m just cautioning about overzealousness. Try for 3 classes the first week. See how you respond mentally and physically and you can adjust from there. If you feel you can go more on the 2nd week or can add 2 strength days to the week thats cool. Certainly possible at your age, but the main thing is to establish the “New krav Discipline” and “Then” to focus any supplimental to improving your krav. Fighters have different body styles than Bodybuilders for a reason.

you’ll know after the 1st week if you can and want to do more. Just get in it for the long haul

Hope this helped. Good luck with krav

quote cmetalman:

TheMedicineMaestro, the Premier school in Glen Mills is a great school,it’s owned and runned by Ernie Kirk, I go to the Premier school in havertown since it’s only two streets from my house and I try to get down to Glen Mills on saturdays when possible.

Yea I am pretty happy that PMA @ Glen Mills isn’t too far away because I have heard a lot of good things about PMA and Ernie Kirke. How many people are generally in a class at PMA @ Glen Mills? Do you get enough individual attention as a beginner to pick up on the basics in the beginning?

quote unstpabl1:

Realizing that your 22 and letting you know I’m looking at it from almost 50.

This is my feeling from being here awhile. I think making it your sole w/o for a few months is a great idea. I’m pretty sure most instructors would agree. 3 days a week probably a good goal w active rest days between. Go for a walk, ez jog, stretch, YRG which is Yoga For Regular Guys things like thay. Don’t wrinkle your nose at the YRG as being a chick thingrofl2 Google it. I learned about it from full contact no armour stickfighters and BJJ guys are all over yoga.

My hesitency in saying do it 5 days is that based on history here. I think the odds are against hearing from you again a few months down the line here if you start off that quickly. With a 22 y/o its probably more of a burnout thing than a nonrecovery issue

I think your on the right track though. I’m just cautioning about overzealousness. Try for 3 classes the first week. See how you respond mentally and physically and you can adjust from there. If you feel you can go more on the 2nd week or can add 2 strength days to the week thats cool. Certainly possible at your age, but the main thing is to establish the “New krav Discipline” and “Then” to focus any supplimental to improving your krav. Fighters have different body styles than Bodybuilders for a reason.

you’ll know after the 1st week if you can and want to do more. Just get in it for the long haul

Hope this helped. Good luck with krav

haha listen you don’t need to convince me. I haven’t even started yet so I am going to listen to what all of you experienced guys have to say about it. I am currently looking to take my LSAT tests for law school admission in June, so right now I am basically just studying and hanging out. I am not going to get a job until mid-summer after I take the tests so I will definitely have time to recover which is a good thing. I will definitely take your advice though and only start 2-3 days a week because I don’t want to be one of those guys who, like you said, disappear from this forum in a few months. I’ll prob just do it a few times a week and once my body gets used to it in a few months I will either increase how many times I go or start to incorporate light lifting into my workouts. I am pretty jacked up to be able to focus my time on Krav starting next week.

I will google the Yoga thing, but out of curiosity, what is the benefit of it? I am totally open to new things as long as I know they are going to positively benefit my goals…. Is it because the stretching will aid in recovery in the following days? Increase flexibility?

Thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it.

unstpabl1

quote TheMedicineMaestro:

I will google the Yoga thing, but out of curiosity, what is the benefit of it? I am totally open to new things as long as I know they are going to positively benefit my goals…. Is it because the stretching will aid in recovery in the following days? Increase flexibility?

I think the url is http://www.yrgworkout.com

Its power yoga with a twist. The Brazilians have been into yoga for the jits. The ground game requires a lot of flexibility in places men are usually tight. YRG requires full belly breathing and relaxing into a degree of discomfort. Notice I didn’t use the word pain, very important distinction. Yoga will get you to sweat and detoxify w/o being hard on the body. It has a healing effect. YRG takes the granola chick new agy crap outta it and makes it more guy freindly

You may not notice this now but as you age flexibility is one of the first thingd you lose. I was into Bodybuilding for a bit with Vince Gironda and at Golds. Was a hard gainer and built myself up from a skinny 125 to a ripped 175 in my early 30’s. Now I look like the Michilean Man:OhMy:The thing is that the muscles from BB didn’t really translate to martial arts or strength to a degree in hindsight.. Fighters need the stregth but they also need endurance and elasticity. Yoga will help with recovery as well it will also aid your ability to handle stress. Good thing for a future Lawyer

I think of this training, Krav. kenpo as Toughness training in the end. Hopefully you never have to use it to defend life. The toughness you learn thru training will aide you in the greater arena of life.IMO, which ain’t worth a quarter.

I stole my definition of toughness from James Loehr. He defines it as Strength, flexibility, responsiveness and resiliency which is mental,emotional and in the end physical. YRG addresses all.

Lastly the area of all this most of us pay the least attention to is recovery. However, the recovery period is where the true growth happens. If you go to the YRG site watch Arthurs video. Its a remarkable story. It’ll motivate ya whether you decide to try it.

I think you’ll love krav and will do well. Its a great system. Though I don’t train it, I have a great deal of respect for the many friends i have who do. Some great people in the system.

cmetalman

TheMedicineMaestro, I’ve only have had a chance to go on saturday mornings which is Krav1, I’d say about maybe between 15 to 20 people show up I’ve never took count so I could be wrong, reference to getting the attention that a new student needs I don’t think you would need to worry about it, the instructors are great and it’s always good to pair up with someone with experience.I’ve just gotten back into Krav about a month ago, haven’t gone for about five years,use to go four to five times per week plus fight class made it to green belt then the body just got worn down that was when I was 45 years old, now I’m 48 and taking it “SLOW” starting from scratch. 22 years old, go for it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: