Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Strength and stamina workouts for krav maga.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    laharl1234

What are some good workouts that build strength and stamina for krav maga?

I am 5″10 and of slim build. Currently I do three variations of sit ups (standard, hands wide apart, and hands close together) and sit ups every two days.

Is this enough? What else can I be doing?

kvmorl

Re: Strength and stamina workouts for krav maga.

Get the BAS MMA workout CDs, do the 28min all around workout in between krav days will take you some time, maybe month but then big difference..

Also Cross Fit is good fit all around strength/stamina workout.

leejam99

CROSSFIT!

http://www.crossfit.com. do their workout of the day (WOD). I’ve been on this for the past few months and its the best all around workout that i have done so far!

stevetuna

What those guys said…

I do a CrossFit workout of some sort (constantly varied functional movements done at high intensity, as they say in the world of CrossFit) four days per week. Sunday is Bas-day, as in the 28 minute all-around workout.

I’m betting that you’ll be real happy with the results.

I agree with the above statements: Cross fit; the Bas workouts, throw in some extra running, when you can. It won’t take long at all before you kiss the mirror everytime you see it. HA!

nixxon

If you do CrossFit please scale your workouts to start. People tend to jump right into it full blast and end up hurting themselves. Its alot of high rep with pullups, pushups etc which is pretty brutal on the joints if you’re not used to that kind of thing.

If I were you I would cut everything in half (Time, Reps etc) and then work your way up to 100% through the course of 2 months. Or better yet, go to the brand X website on the CF main page (link is under start here) and check out garrdawg’s site. He scales them for ya.

leejam99

great advise.

I should of mention that it would be very beneficial to find a Crossfit gym or a group with a certified coach to learn the techniques if your not a seasoned athlete or a regular at the gym. Lot of the exercises in the WOD(workout of the day) involves olympic style lifting, kettlebell, etc… The website does have a lot of info and videos also.

As Nixxon stated above, scale the workouts down if you are new at it. Don’t kill your self trying to do what is RXed(crossfit lingo meaning prescribed or stated to do) on the website. Listen to your body.

I know the Bas workout is cool and will work you, and the Crossfit looks efficient as well
    My question is……..What are some real workouts that are options for anyone to do?
    It seems the first respons to any workout question is “Get the Bas” and second is “Do Crossfit”.
    Surely thease cannot be the only two options for building strength and stamina, maybe I dont have a living room to do a Bas Workout in, or equipment or Gym for Crossfit.

I’m sure people built up thier endurance and stregth once upon a time before Golds Gym, Bas Rutten and Crossfit…..Hell Rocky ate Raw Eggs and Beat up Cow Carcasuss in the freezer and knocked out Apollo Creed and I didn’t see Bas in his corner or Crossfit across his Trunks.

garddawg

Yes but any CrossFitter would recognize the stuff he was doing and the striking…..looks like Bas stuff to me.

leejam99

quote Snake Eyes 88 USMC:

Surely thease cannot be the only two options for building strength and stamina, maybe I dont have a living room to do a Bas Workout in, or equipment or Gym for Crossfit.

hmmm…. no living room, no equipment, no gym…. wow.

how about this.

Push ups, air squats, pull ups if you get one of those door pullup bars, sit ups, body weight core exercises(search the internet)… also run. run both short sprints and long distance to work both anaerobic and aerobic.

if you don’t have a living room, go to a park.

quote leejam99:

hmmm…. no living room, no equipment, no gym…. wow.

Living room full of people, Equipment costs money and it’s short in this day and age, I live in the country 15 or so miles out of town, nearest gym is far away and costs to much of the precious afforementioned money to join.

quote leejam99:

how about this.

Push ups, air squats, pull ups if you get one of those door pullup bars, sit ups, body weight core exercises(search the internet)… also run. run both short sprints and long distance to work both anaerobic and aerobic.

That I can do, plenty of room outside to run and such.
    Push ups take no space, I can do pull ups off the trees in my yard.

What kind of variety of push ups would make a good all round workout to alternate in between, I know thier is more than just the standard 1234 Marine Corps Push Up.

What kind of Reps and how many would be recommended.
    A certain number of sets to failure, Pyramid Reps, I want to make sure I build up but not just burn out.

Thanks.

jesse

There’s a lot of exercises that are coming to mind. I also have limited space. I’ll try to send you a pm tonight.

In regards to the pushups, one thing to remember is that the goal is not to be mr. macho, but to try to exercise the muscle as close to absolute exhaustion as possible every time in order to acheive the best results. One thing that I’ve done in the privacy of my own home is what for lack of a better term I’ll call a mini pushup. (There’s a whole book out there about the physics of it, but I can’t recall the name.) I’ll describe the exercise and then the theory after so you can skip the last part if you want. All you’re doing is getting into regular pushup position and just barely bending your arms (your elbow will only slightly pop out) as in the very beginning of a normal pushup. Then you just crank them out as fast as possible. They are much easier than normal pushups and you should be able to easily do somewhere along the lines of ten to fifteen times as many. They can be varied in hand position or with your feet elevated just like a normal pushup. Now here’s the theory.

1. All a muscle can do is pull. On your arm as the major muscle for a pushup your tricep will…pull…that’s all it does. No muscle can ever push. It takes the muscle on the opposite side of the joint pulling it back.

2. The reason that the down position on a pushup or any other exercise is harder is simply that the tendons attached to the end of the muscle are having to pull “around the bend” of your elbow. The muscle is not in a different position or working differently. It simply is having to work harder to acheive the same affect because the there is a mechanical difficulty in the angle. It still is only pulling.

3. The goal is not simply to do X number of pushups. The goal is to work the muscle as close as possible to complete exhaustion in order for it to build up as much as possible the next time.

4. The goal is to have as much increase as possible in the strength of the muscle. An increase can be measured in one of three ways: Heavier, Faster, or More Reps. Pure physics dictates that you are doing more work if you lift something heavier, lift it faster or lift it more times.

5. Therefore, these wimpy pushups are performed in the high position because that’s where the tricep has the greatest mechanical advantage and can keep working the longest. They are done as fast as possible in order to put a greater load on the muscle. You can elevate your feet to increase the load.

As a practical matter let me mention that if you physically can do forty normal pushups and no more, you will always be able to immediately go to your knees and crank out some more and you will always be able to immediately do more of these “wimpy” pushups. What that tells me is that although the muscle is worn out to the point that it no longer can do the normal pushups, it still has energy left in it to continue to work at a lower demand. Since my goal is to completely wear out the muscle, I will switch to another exercise and continue to crack them out.

I’ll try to remember the name of the book about all of this.
    Jesse

zen4me

Living room full of people, Equipment costs money and it’s short in this day and age, I live in the country 15 or so miles out of town, nearest gym is far away and costs to much of the precious afforementioned money to join.

What kind of variety of push ups would make a good all round workout to alternate in between, I know thier is more than just the standard 1234 Marine Corps Push Up.

A certain number of sets to failure, Pyramid Reps, I want to make sure I build up but not just burn out.

Thanks.

For bodyweight only exercises, check out bodyweightculture.com – they have tons of stuff you can do too.

Those guys do some insane burpee variations btw.

– Kelly

I guess if you can find a really cool steep snow covered hill to traipse up while bracketing a huge log on your shoulders you could do the Rocky workout. Personally, I stick with what works for me. But I also need some sort of routine to follow or else I go all over the place and don’t feel as if I’ve done the right things for each muscle group.

kvmorl

Thanks.

I’ve been stuck in small Hotel room with barely enough room for suitcase and still brought Ipod, put “do not disturb” on door and did the 28min workout no problems.

I can tell it has helped me in stamina, I did a few sparring session few days ago with instructor open time, meaning until he says stop or one of can’t go on.. they went on about 4-5min each and i was not perfect but not too exhausted. This was impossible just 1-2 months ago, a 2min spar would leave me almost at floor flat…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: