Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books tactical distance question! Come on in…

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    seeq-qc

Re: tactical distance question! Come on in…

quote Benelli:

Hi Don, been a while.

I think the simple answer is yes with a disclaimer. In a controlled training environment where I know what the attack is going to be where its coming from and I’m drilling it you bet I think I can control the arm.

However I don’t think that’s the issue, I think the issue is me. When I don’t know whats coming, say we are in a conversation even when its heated if his hands are at his sides or even if one is gesturing and his side hand quietly floats behind him should I react? Well the logical answer is yes BUT do I?

I’ve been doing this a fairly long time and to be honest its my threat assessment gauge that needs work. I react when I see a threat not when I perceive a threat. I’m not saying that’s right actually I know its not however like I shared I’m being honest and admitting I may not do anything until I see a weapon.

Is a hand behind the back an immediate danger? Logically, yes, in practice, hmmm

Great point…i was thinking along the same lines…threat perception vs. actual threat….being as sensitive to people and environments as we are we can see threats where others don’t and sometimes those “threats” are just a confluence of circumstances and actions that have no malice intended but mistakenly telegraph just that to us.

I guess you have to just decide to deal with the consequences: either make the the first move, assault someone who wasn’t planning to attack you and deal with any legal ramifications or delay offensive action then possibly face an attacker wielding a weapon and then dealing with those consequences. :dunno:

IMO Krav is a countering-based discipline so preemptive tactics move us from native self defense to the realm of offensive action and IMO we’re actually better equipped to deal with an unambiguous brandished weapon than the vagaries of perceived threats.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: