Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    blindfold

I just finished class and had a new (2 classes) partner. He came out swinging for the bleachers. During our combatives he was complaining about the targets and position. I changed them to his comfort and explained that he needed to focus on how he was hitting as well as position of the target. Trying to be polite, cause I don’t know everything (my 2 teen daughters do). He kept pounding away as hard as he could and then the instructor came over and demonstrated “the correct” punching techniques. This guy took it with a grain of salt and kept pounding.

Now when class was over he was complaining about his wrist. I told him that he may want to lay off of the strength and work on the technique a little more. He said, “nah, the wrists will feel better after a while”.

I know that both are important, but I would like to know what others feel is most important.

I believe that both have there place and I work on the technique and then apply strength.

What are some opinions?

nd6171

My opinion is technique will get you further than strength. I believe you can have all the strength in the world, but if you don’t know how to do something right, the strength won’t help you.

ryan

When you have a lot of strength, it’s apparently hard to focus on technique, especially at beginning stages. The better your technique, the better and safer your punch.

rq

well you’re right – of course there are freaks out there with awesome strength even without technique – if/when they get technique down it would be devistating to say the least.

With technique comes the full use of the power though, I see some tiny girls/guys throwing some very solid shots because their technique is spot on, they couldn’t benchpress their way out of a paper bag but doesn’t matter because their technique is what gave their punches the power.

Just an observation on my part.

russell

the instructor at my school says technique is way more important than strength, and to prove this he gave me a knee to the stomach and moved me about 3 feet back, i tried on him and moved him about a foot, i’m about 1 inch taller than him and about the same weight, then he went to the biggest person in the class (level1) and gave hime a knee too, same thing moved him about 3 feet.. then went on to say the best person he ever saw in krav was also one of the smallest (he’s been teaching about 8 years) but had the best technique…you can gain strength while you learn techinque…but muscle won’t do any good if you don’t know how to use it the right way

good luck and keep punching

jay99

I am sure this topic will get a ton of responses as it is a question for the ages…

I have been a KM student for a little under two years and I think one of the most common themes seems to be technique first… than speed… power will come with both of those. In my limited experience I would say anybody can throw one good strong punch. Their own personal haymaker… and if you are a bigger person you will have extra power inherent in your stature. But, to repeatedly throw powerful shots that are strong, fast and accurate requires technique and form.

I had the privilege one night of sparring against an instructor for a few minutes at the
    NTC-SO by the name of Junior Merkel. I would say I safely out weigh Junior by 20 – 25lbs. and stand a few inches taller than him. With hardly any effort at all Junior hit me harder than a lot of people my size have. In that punch I quickly learned how imperative technique really is and there was no doubt in my mind that weight or height was not going to be a factor if I took that shot in a real fight.

So in no uncertain terms my humble opinion is – Technique.. and speed.. power will come.

As for the partner you had…. up to you to decide if you get the most out of class by working with someone who seems to have a hard time letting go of their ego.

skibum

Blindfold, it is true that technique is important, especially in the beginning when you first learning. Bad initial habits are hard to break. However (from my own experience) even when using correct technique it takes a while for your wrists to get used to punching and harden, so to speak. So , probably if they hurt, it’s better to back pff on power a bit and concentrate on technique, slowly increasing power as time goes on. Also, if someone is not receptive to suggestions – don’t push it. It’s instructor’s job. My $0.02

vwr32

I generally don’t try to talk anyone into hitting lighter. Common sense should prevail in that category and it’s a painful warning to ignore… for them. Improper technique can result in much more serious results than soreness. You brought it up, he denied the suggestion.

I butcher plenty of moves still… but am always open for suggestions from my partners. Not everyone will be. For those people I keep my comments to myself and let them flail about until an instructor notices and corrects them. If they change and start doing it right, I tell them good job.. if not, I say nothing.

I’ve seen plenty of people come and go who thought they didn’t need to change the way they approach new techniques or exercises. I’m still here… they aren’t. I think u did right to bring it up, the rest is up to him.

blindfold

I just happened to end up with this new guy as a partner. I probably won’t partner with him all too often, but who really knows. He just started and seems to want to do things his way. I have been doing this for about 2 years and have worked with a number of different types of people. I feel that the diversity helps me to prepare for anyone. I had a partner for a long time and he has been injured, while doing something else. So I have sorta bounced around where ever the instructor wants me to go. Usually he has me work with newer people about once a month or so.

I just figured that some people are more apt to try to go all out if their ego gets the better of them. I explained it as, you don’t get into a car for the first time and hit the interstate at 105mph. You wait till the 2nd or 3rd time for that.

li-kraver

Re: Technique Vs. Strength

I agree with most of you guys in saying that technique is paramount, but don’t get me wrong being able to use your strength helps a great deal too.
    Using the example of superman, guy had all the power in the world but that never stopped him from getting beat up from time to time. banghead

clfmak

Good technique is the best application of strength. If you’re strong and have good technique, you’ll be a lot better than having just one of those attributes.

My opinion… You can definately hit harder using poor form, but your opponent is going to see you coming from a mile away. Good technique for a bully beating up someone who isn’t up for a fight. Bad technique if your opponent is planning on fighting back. This is why pretty much anyone with any kind of decent fighting/martial arts background has a major advantage over a “street fighter”. What I would do is sit that dude down and try to explain the concept to him in a tactful manner. Let him know that you love his motivation level, but you think it would be beneficial to him to focus that motivation a bit more into his technique. I’ve noticed people tend to take you a bit more seriously if you pull them to the side and ask if you could talk to them for a minute than if you make a comment while you’re walking out of class. Then again, everyone responds differently.

J-

mara-jade

Strength is great but if you dunno the technique, what does that buy you? I know sometimes on the weapon defenses I’m guilty of that. I do it a few times than I wanna be Speedy Gonzales or something:Drofl2

Like it’s always been told to me by my instructors, you get the techniques and everything else will eventually flow.:D

leejam99

Technique = speed and power

This is why there’s a right way to punch and and wrong way to punch. Right way to deliver a round kick and a wrong way to..etc In most of these cases, there no way that a bad technique punch can out power the correct technique.

if you are naturally a strong puncher, it will be that much stronger with the correct form/technique.

bradm

My vote is for good technique anytime over strength.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: