Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    guerriere

Re: Technique Vs. Strength

Neither one is worth a whit if you’re too arrogant to take advice after paying for it.

bradm

quote Guerriere:

Neither one is worth a whit if you’re too arrogant to take advice after paying for it.

Whaaaat’s that suppose to mean?

leejam99

quote BradM:

Whaaaat’s that suppose to mean?

i just got my check. you didn’t get yours?

craig-p

lol leejam

bradm

quote leejam99:

i just got my check. you didn’t get yours?

Naaa! I only get a $40.00 check once a week from Mickey Mouse.

clfmak

quote mara_jade:

Strength is great but if you dunno the technique, what does that buy you? I know sometimes on the weapon defenses I’m guilty of that. I do it a few times than I wanna be Speedy Gonzales or something:Drofl2

Like it’s always been told to me by my instructors, you get the techniques and everything else will eventually flow.:D

One of the things weapon work taught me was the importance of technique over strength. When sparring with sticks or training knives (especially), you can’t rely on being bigger, stronger, or harder. You can’t just take shots as you rush in like you could unarmed. Weapons teach that strength is relative to who has better weapons, but success is determined by who has better technique, strategy, timing, deceptiveness etc. This probably also applies to the way guns work into krav maga, but I don’t actually know.

kpalena

Technique trumps strength….always…

kravmaga-ism

it’s kind of like golf to me…strength from technique. without technique, there is greater waste of energy in your attacks. With technique, you are able to minimize waste and have that lost energy applied to maximize damage, speed, etc.

skaldgrimnir

quote kpalena:

Technique trumps strength….always…

*clears throat* soapbox (I wish the Soapbox guy did not look so angry. heh)

Not always. I’ve a friend who was named Meathead in his junior college. Giant of a guy, and that should mean something coming from me (I’m 6’6″, 320 lbs). A pastime of his was head butting dents into vehicles. To put it simply – strong.

I saw him in a fight with two guys on the college boxing team. He knocked one unconscious (Ambulance had to be called) and broke the other guys arm. Meathead never took a day of classes for self defense, fighting, or boxing. All he did was punch – but he had serious strength, stamina, and could take punishment – it’s why he was a heck of a linebacker.

Now, in *most* situations, I would agree with you. Technique is very important, and in a lot of cases is the deciding factor. Good technique can allow someone without much strength to fight someone with massive amounts, and still be victorious. But sometimes raw strength, or sometimes dumb luck, can outweigh it.

I am sure, if you think about it, you can even point to situations in your life where you’ve seen similar.

I can point to a few, but this one is luck versus technique – not strength versus technique. I’ve seen a marine laid low in a karate class in Okinawa by a tiny girl. Thing is, it was the tiny girls first day, and the marine was an experienced (read: had seen some real hand to hand, and a lot of training) fighter. She just kept kicking, and got lucky. A few minutes later, everyone was laughing it off.

clfmak

quote KravMaga-ism:

it’s kind of like golf to me…strength from technique. without technique, there is greater waste of energy in your attacks. With technique, you are able to minimize waste and have that lost energy applied to maximize damage, speed, etc.

Bingo.

kravmdjeff

I would second (or, third) Skald and -ism, sort of. The thread’s title itself is a false dichotomy (technique vs. strength). The two are not opposed to one another. Good technique helps a student to hit with more strength comparative to what they woudl otherwise have, and strength training will help a student with good technique get more return on their good form.

If practitioners would focus on increasing BOTH strength and technique as much as possible, then few people would be attempting to contrast the advantages of each independant of one another.

kpalena

[QUOTE=SkaldGrimnir;26082]*clears throat* soapbox (I wish the Soapbox guy did not look so angry. heh)

Not always. I’ve a friend who was named Meathead in his junior college. Giant of a guy, and that should mean something coming from me (I’m 6’6″, 320 lbs). A pastime of his was head butting dents into vehicles. To put it simply – strong.

QUOTE]

There are exceptions to every rule…your buddy sounds like one hell of en exception…(damn!) Sometimes there is just nothing a little guy can do is the size differential is big enough.
    I have been able to power my way out of some preety good grapplers, but as far as learning goes…I stand by my previous statement.

raneman

I am pretty new to Krav(3 classes under my belt so far) and my only previous fighting experience was in the USMC. I am pretty strong for my size(I am 5’6″ 160 lbs) and previously I have always worked on technique first to learn the proper way of doing a movement and then once you have that technique you can bring speed and power to bear. This minimizes injuries and allows you to keep control. When I was in the USMC I was the smallest guy in my unit and routinely fought guys that were 6′ 5″ 200+ lbs that I KNEW would bring tremendous power to bear. Technique will also save you from power and while it was mentioned you can get lucky to win, control and technique gives you the edge on power. I, as a smaller guy, know I need to stay away from him and my opponent is going to use his advantage to overpower me so I have to control the fight and keep it to my strength(speed and technique). This is one of the reasons I chose Krav. In just three classes I have learned a great deal about control even if I am just worrying about my technique right now. One of my trainers, Erik(who I love btw) stresses to stay out of striking range at all times and not get in trouble. For me this is invaluable advice(I tend to like to use elbows and knees so far- punching/kicking is my weakness I am working on) because I can still be aggressive and control the fight until I can bring my technique and then power to bear and be successful.

I guess in short. Technique first then power and speed can be applied for maximium effectivemess.

Yeah I know I am a new guy but I am loving Krav so far immensely because it not only teaches movements and technique but the mental aspect as well

Pete

leejam99

Strength and technique compliment each other. One should strive for both but work on technique first sine power will come from using right form. As for natural size….obviously size matters. This is why there’s weight classes in pro fighting.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: