Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    munki1

How long are your tests lasting? One, two, and three especially.

Not standing around, resting, or watching/helping others test. How much time did you spend actually testing?

maddogmean

Re: Test time length

My level 1 test was about 4 hours, my level 2 test was a grueling 5.5 hours, level 3 was about 4 hours. There was a 10 mintue break in each level between the review and the actual test. But testing can vary from school to school. I guy I know who trains in Portland had to take the Level 1 test again the day before testing the Level 2 test.

munki1

Our ATA KMWW school has added a couple levels.

My level one test was about 5 minutes. A very intense, non-stop 5 minutes held after the normal class. How come mine was 5 minutes while MadDogMean’s level one was 4 hours?

Our level 2 test will be just a little longer.

The level one test was groin kicks, deflecting/moving from front punches, front chokes, side chokes, straight punches, and knee strikes. There might have been something else but I forget at the monent.

bradm

I don’t see how anyone can be tested in 5 minutes. That’s barely enough to cover a front choke. My Krav classes were at an ATA school and my level-1 was about 3 1/2 hours. That was all testing, did not include any review. We had previously reviewed the material in regular class. Same for my level-2 test.

munki1

quote BradM:

I don’t see how anyone can be tested in 5 minutes. That’s barely enough to cover a front choke. My Krav classes were at an ATA school and my level-1 was about 3 1/2 hours. That was all testing, did not include any review. We had previously reviewed the material in regular class. Same for my level-2 test.

Well they are still charging $50 for 5 minutes of testing so maybe we are just getting ripped off?

maddogmean

Longer testing times also allow the instructors to gauge how well you can execute techniques under stress and fatigue. For the student, it a great sense of accomplishment. After passing a nearly 6 hour level 2 test, I felt like I could do anything. You may be missing out on some valuable experiences that will make you a more determined krav maga student.

unstpabl1

I saw a 10 minute 2nd degree kenpo test once and the guy was gassed. All thru the test this really hot girl was ooohhhinng and aaahhiingg and I’m sitting there mumbling WTF under my breath…definitely not the norm

kylestyle913

My level 1 test was 2.5 hrs with a 3 hr review. I felt like I was king of the world after that…. 2 hours later I was asleep on the couch with a beer in my hand..hahah. But seriously, 5 min test? WTF? That is not an acceptible amount of time to be able to measure the apptitude of the practicioner…. You are fresh, and only go for 5 mins. Try going for 5.5 hours with a 10 min break…

nick1911

My level 1 review started at 11:00AM and went to 4:00. We got a 15 minute break, then tested from 4:15-6:00.

There were a fair number of students in that test, so that may help account for the 1hr 45min test. We were all pretty much moving the whole time. Very exhausting. :OhMy:

munki1

Great so now our testing is ****.

What should I do?

Ask him about it another day I suppose and give him a chance to explain. I’ll let you guys know. The level two “test” is this weekend so I’ll talk to him about it next week.

For more detail, it’s been one or two people testing at a time (for about 5 minutes straight) after a normal class with several other people doing the attacking/holding pads.

He won’t test us until he thinks we can pass and people are doing the techniques with the aggression properly. I do believe he would fail a person and retest them later. But it did seem to me the test time was short.

unstpabl1

In truth, I have mixed feelings about the length of tests. Before the dog pile starts, I’m not implying that they should be easyand I know as well as understand why their done. But how long does it take to prove you can handle the techniques and are ready to move on to the next level?

At NTC ot KMSO, there are many teachers, so maybe they don’t know, but if you work with one or 2 instructors, they know when your ready.

The only 5 hour fight I’v ever heard of was in The Quiet Man maybe and thats because they were Irish and kept stopping off for a drink. Great movie though

mara-jade

Ours were 5,5.5 and 4 hours. What kind of test is 5 minutes for $50?? Something AIN’T right there:thunbsdown:. MadDog’s got it on the money with what he’s saying.

bradm

When I took my level-2 test, Krav testing was in the morning and TKD testing was in the afternoon. After a 3-4 hour Krav level-2 test, I had a short break – changed into my TKD uniform and took a 2nd Degree Black Belt test which lasted the rest of the afternoon. I must have been crazy to take both tests the same day – it totally wore me out. After demonstrating all the required techniques, kata, and board breaking, I had to sparr 3 other Blackblets consequetively. By the time I got to the third BB, all I could do was stand there and try to block his attacks and occasionaly do some offensive moves. When I got home, I threw a cushion on the living room floor and crashed for a couple hours. I was very sore all over for a couple days. Never will I do that again.

unstpabl1

quote BradM:

When I took my level-2 test, Krav testing was in the morning and TKD testing was in the afternoon. After a 3-4 hour Krav level-2 test, I had a short break – changed into my TKD uniform and took a 2nd Degree Black Belt test which lasted the rest of the afternoon. I must have been crazy to take both tests the same day – it totally wore me out. After demonstrating all the required techniques, kata, and board breaking, I had to sparr 3 other Blackblets consequetively. By the time I got to the third BB, all I could do was stand there and try to block his attacks and occasionaly do some offensive moves. When I got home, I threw a cushion on the living room floor and crashed for a couple hours. I was very sore all over for a couple days. Never will I do that again.

Not bad for a 20 y/othumbsup

bradm

Yeah, right Mike — I wish. I was about 63 or 64 at the time. I sometimes still feel the pain from trying to act like a 20 year old.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: