Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Testing from level 3 to 4 soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    markx3

I was wondering what the test was like at your particular school? How long was it? What were you tested on? Did you get any breaks? If so how long? Do you have any good stories? Did anyone puke, get hurt, etc?

First of all we are not having a workshop. My school is making me retest level 1 for one hour, then retest to level 2 for one hour. Then retest the level 3 material for one hour. Then one hour of sparring and ground fighting. In between levels my instructor is kind enough to give us a 10 minute break. 🙄 Iím not sure how Iím going to make it. So what did everyone else have to do?

Thanks!

jjbklb

I’m only level 1.But the instructor told us one student will soon do his level 3 test.
    He’ll first do level1 then level2,& then level3.Any drink or potty break is at his discretion.I got the impression that if there is one,it will be a VERY short
    one.

Just a thought.You can get packets of Gu ,Clif Shot,etc. in different flavors.One is chocolate with double caffiene.They are all mainly a flavored sugar paste that you can ingest in seconds with a drink of water.
    The caffeine helps mmore efficiently mobilize the glucose stored in your muscles .

jt

Hey Mark, I hope that all is well! Are you testing for green or blue belt? I know that Tom does the levels a bit differently than the NTC and I can’t remember for the life of me which belts equate to which levels. I’m pretty sure I was level 4 before I went on hiatus…. anyway, good luck! The last test I remember taking was brutal, like the level 1 test is. 2 and 3 weren’t so bad because you had a better idea of how to prepare. The sparring part of the level 4 test was killer because it came after \”re-testing\” for the other levels and everyone was exhausted. Just remember to breathe!!!! And if you need a quick break, you can always pull guard when you’re grappling =) I’m sure you’ll be a rock star, tell the folks over there I said hello, and let me know who is coming to town for the May seminar… I might make an appearance for that!

la-revancha

My II-III (Green) exam was one long review as well. Probably lasted two hours if I recall. 10-20 minutes of fighting if I recall correctly. This was a private exam, however, so all the love was concentrated upon me. 😯

My III-IV (Blue) was fun torture, courtesy of Ernie at KMPA. Three day endeavor. Friday night consisted of a long, heavy-hitting fighting. Saturday consisted entirely of the blue belt technique (lots of gun, knife, and stick). Sunday was the actual exam. Something like 2-4 hours. The first half was liveable, but then we all had to fight and grapple. Ernie was nice enough to bring in some fresh bodies for the combat component only. This is certainly maneageable in most cases, but he brought Athena along. 😈

The most painful memory of that exam was Saturday night. Ernie took all the examinees drinking and I had a delightful hangover during the exam. This compounded the dehydration and I remember my hamstrsings cramping up several times during fighting and grappling. Furthermore, I ate an egg/sausage bagel Sunday morning, which expedited the nausea.

I remember tossing my cookies a few times that day.

Be thankful its not Ernie Kirk at the helm.

markx3

Jeff,

I’ll tell everyone you said hi. I donít think Iím going to make the May seminar since nobody from L.A. is flying out to teach. I wish one of the senior instructors were coming out though. We had an awesome time last summer when John W was up in FT. Collins.

One of the only things I got going for me is there will be a lot of students testing, so not all the attention will be on me. Tom is going to bring in fresh level 4s and 5s to terrorize us during the sparring and ground fighting part. Some of the level 5s Iíve spoken to are excited to get em up while we’re exhausted. All I know is Iím kicking someone in the b***s hard that day! The test is March 19th. If I make it through Iím going to get the bomb Krav tat on my left arm. I feel like Iíve earned if after all the beat downs Iíve taken over the years in class.

Take care.

alny1

8) HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET TO LEVEL 4 TESTING? LEVEL 3 TOOK ABOUT 2 YEARS

jops

I’m up here in Ft. Collins. Chet and Tina run a great program up here. I’ve only been in it about a month or so now… and I wake up sore every damn day… but it has been well worth it.

Chet was saying that for his black belt his test was something like 8 hours of non-stop fighting, kicking and punching. 😯

All I know is that very few BB’s are given out in KM, and he has one of them.

dalamar

Jops,

I’m a FC person as well and just started the class with Chet and Tina. Shoot an email towards me. I have a really busy schedule, but after 280 solid days of what I do best, I’m looking to take a break for a while and spend more time training. We should see if we couldn’t get together a couple of times to train. I know it would help me speed through class better.

I’m in Dallas till Sunday, so if you send me an email I’ll try and get back with you soon after. Hope to hear from you!

[email protected]

leftie79

Markx…I have never heard of an instructor testing students for level 1, then 2 etc. I know the tests I have gone through I was tested on that level material and then on the test, a choke from the front, or headlock (something from a previous level) may be thrown in. I guess it depends on how the instructor gives the test. Good luck on your test. It’s brutal but you will make it through!

alny1

😉 HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO GET TO LEVEL 4?

alny1

😉 HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO GET TO LEVEL 4?

la-revancha

LI to LIV/V-2.5 yrs

Say, Mark, let us know how it goes this weekend.

markx3

I passed!

Well I passed! I knew I would. Iím not trying to be cocky but I know the material. Iím not saying that Iím an expert. I know I have a lot to learn and improve on. The test was just like I said it would be on the earlier post. There were no surprises. This was the hardest test physically since it was about 4 hours long. But mentally the level 1 test was harder since I didnít know what to expect, and I wasnít sure if I would pass. Donít get me wrong, I am completely and totally exhausted. Throughout the test, I just kept remembering to breathe properly. When I got home I tried to get out of my car and both of my legs cramped up. I almost fell over! A buddy of mine who also just tested was just talking about how that exact thing happened to him after testing from 1 to 2. I had to sit back in my car for about 5 minutes and work out the cramps while pounding Gatorade. I was thinking about yelling for help! 😳

Hereís the deal with my situation. I was a level 1 for about 3 months of regular class time. When I tested I didnít think I was ready and I didnít think I knew the material very well. My instructor said I was ready so he tested me. Looking back, I messed up on a lot of stuff, but I kept going and he passed me. I was a level 2 for about 1 ? years of regular class time. When I tested from 2-3, I felt I was totally ready and knew what to expect. I was a level 3 since Oct of 03 with regular class time. What I mean by this is Iím in class anywhere from 5-8 hours a week. That may sound like a lot to some people, but I canít help it. Iím a Krav crack head. So by the time I tested I was confident that I knew the material and what to expect.

No offence to some, but I get a little frustrated when I read posts about how someone is a level 2 for a year and hasnít tested yet. Or someoneís been a level 1 for 6 months and hasnít tested. My instructor makes me stay at my levels for a long time. You know whatÖ.Iím glad! No offence but testing sucks! Also I donít care what you say but even if you are a level 2 for 1 ? years, that doesnít mean you have everything down perfect. You are not an expert on all the one and two material. I think you should relax and keep learning. In my humbled opinion, I think the time lines that are posted on the main Krav website, that say how long someone should be at a particular level are too short. I know they are just giving you something to go by, but I still think they are way too short. Anyways, itís a done deal, level 4 baby! Iím going to be at the NTC towards the end of April. Iím excited to take level 4 classes while Iím out there. Oh and I couldnít wait. I got my Krav tat two weeks ago. John, please donít sue me. 😉

erob

Well Done Mark. You guys (& Girl) did great today. Now you have the level 5 test to look forward to! But honestly I still think the level 1 test was the hardest of all.
    btw. You are cocky!!!!

la-revancha

Hey Mark,

Congrats and welcome to the LIV club!!! I went throught a lot of instructor training between III and IV, so I think that crystallized my technique and mental fortitude toward exams. In retrospect, I think LIV exam was hands down the most intense. Sucks about the cramps! 😯

Did you spar (standing or on the ground)? If so, was this towards the beginning, middle, or the end?

Just curious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: