Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics thinking about starting krav maga

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    kravmdjeff

All cards on the table- dax 1 has been taking my classes.

Glad to have you-you’re doing wonderfully.

Awhile ago there was a smattering of \”Krav Maga Maryland in Columbia is amazing\” threads. I’m sure if you do a search, you can find some 8)

There are a few other students from our facility on these boards as well

dax-1

WHOA I can’t believe my instructor Jeff wrote… wow. Jeff, thanks for the kudos.

I’ve been taking classes for about 3 weeks now and it’s probably one of the better decisions I’ve made in recent years. I’m not as sore anymore after class (or maybe I just like the sore feeling and have gotten used to it) and I’m hitting and kicking harder than ever. The classes are just excellent and I really like the pace and the people I train with. Everyone seems to be quite dedicated and they – both men and women – don’t seem to mind helping the new girl. My countermoves stink, but I’ll get there once I choreograph a few good ones.

The main problem I’ve had is a little shyness (though I’m certainly NOT shy) when it comes to hitting drills with a partner. They hit me (and I do the blocks, though I did get hit pretty hard in the nose by a guy last week – I was totally hoping it would bleed just to know that I bled in class but oh well, it was just sore for the day and I was really disappointed) but when I have to hit back, I ease off a bit. Not that my hits are so hard that I’m scared of really hurting somebody… it’s more of a stupid meek female – perhaps Southern – thing and I’m terrified of actually making contact. I just need to get over it, really. Drills help, but it’s more of a mental job at this point.

The truth is that except for a snobbish girl in 8th grade who really had it coming, I’ve never hit ANYONE! So it’s really a mental leap to swing now. Jeff and Bryan screaming at me helps, but of course when I do hit and they miss (which has happened) I apologize. Stupid. I wonder if I’d apologize to a real attacker.

Actually, knowing me, I might!

Anyway, I guess the truth is that I really love what I’m doing. I would encourage anyone in the Columbia MD area to check out our center. It’s a great place and the instruction is top rate.

Have a great holiday!
    Caro

kmcat

Re:

[quote=\”dax 1\”]
    > … hitting drills with a partner.
    > …. I’m terrified of actually making contact.
    > ….

Back earlier this year when I was just starting KM I was trying to describe it to a friend at work and he talked about taking his daughter to a Karate class and then he asked me, \”So, then you are making hits at what 50% – 70% power?, that’s a lot\”. I did not quite know what to say to him at that point.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: