Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics This is why KM is important!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    adamadam

All,

I train in the UK, however, spend a load of time in this forum too! Thought I would share this with you.

The link below shows a very aggressive attack in Melbourne, at Burger King at 6am. If you look closely, you can see the attacker get a very strong choke hold on – the video shows just how quickly you can become unconscious without doing anything.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/man-choked-into-unconsciousness-on-melbournes-chapel-street-20090715-dkfs.html

I would be interested in what some of you think, however, it seems to me the attackers really know what they are doing. I think you can actually see the guy put on the choke hold and then push the victims head down with the other hand, making it very hard to escape. Seems he is unconscious in a matter of seconds.

My thinking is that if you were not quick enough to turn into the attacker and drop your jaw, once the guy has that second hand on, it is pretty impossible to pluck and turn out. Foot stamping, eye poking and attacking the groin is probably best options until he lets go??

Let’s hope they catch these guys – the CCTV is pretty clear.

Adam

rd672

Re: This is why KM is important!

thx

Shout out to the London crew!

Rear naked choke – cuts off blood oxygen supply to brain with unconsciousness as result in seconds… then they can do whatever they like to you..

Bad situation..

Not good to be on the receiving end of – and yes, it’d typically be a more ‘experienced’ attacker who’d know these kinds of advanced chokes..

Very hard to get out of a hold like this once its applied…

Which is why the moment you feel someone going for your neck / any choke beginning – react immediately and decisively as the longer one waits, the worse its going to potentially get..

There’s also a move when someone has you in a hold from behind you have trouble getting out of – do a flicking upward back kick to the groin..if they are lifting you up, you can also hook one leg around the attacker’s and start slamming backwards with your other..

If things go wrong & a technique falls apart / you are stuck: improvise! fight dirty, bite, gouge, scream in ear, smash groin & all of that fun stuff..

kvmorl

Great video, thanks for posting. Good timing, we where going over this same choke recently in class.

I think it shockingly reminds me of a couple of things that instructors always keep saying in training, situational awareness, decisiveness and aggressiveness. As you can see on that video it took 4-6 sec to be completely unconscious.

I would be interested to hear instructors take on what they think that 19yr old could have done.

adamadam

All,

Looks like that video has now been removed from the original link – but you can still find it here.

http://media.theage.com.au/national/national-news/cctv-of-brutal-chapel-st-attack-633578.html

For those interested, they ended up catching the guys that did this.

Adam

By some weird reason the page won’t load the video for me :angry: somehow I shouldn’t watch such thing but I am completly qualified to watch that Oral B commercial :thunbsdown:

tech94

maybe it has a maximum amunt of daily hits/views?

I finally watched the clip :OhMy:

Those two cowards :soapbox:

I feel glad to be involved in Krav Maga :(: but poor dude.

This is why I think basic self defense classes should be added to physical education classes around the world.

Hope these guys get what they deserve :angry:

peterako

I love how everyone is hanging out while these guys are getting screwed up. A couple people step up next to them, but don’t do much besides a little pat on the back.

I know this is pretty relevant to the other threads talking about legality issues with self-defense as well as intervention, but if you are messing up a guy like that, I’m gonna do my best to stop it. The half-***ed action of the people around that fight is pretty disgusting.

It would be all too easy to attack one of those guys from the back while they were assaulting those two.

aviatordave

quote Ce Ilhuicamina:

By some weird reason the page won’t load the video for me :angry: somehow I shouldn’t watch such thing but I am completly qualified to watch that Oral B commercial :thunbsdown:

I couldn’t view the one from the other link, but is this the same video? Unless there was another attack at the same Hungry Jack. :):

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=692_1247689718&c=1

This kind of garbage is the reason I started taking Krav… I will not be a victim, nor will I stand around while such a blatant case of victimization is taking place. The guy behind the counter (the one with the coat) is a major cretin… not one thing did he do. What a wimp! LOL

aviatordave

quote DrGreenSticky:

This kind of garbage is the reason I started taking Krav… I will not be a victim, nor will I stand around while such a blatant case of victimization is taking place. The guy behind the counter (the one with the coat) is a major cretin… not one thing did he do. What a wimp! LOL

You mean the one that just stood there and watched with his arms crossed? Total jerk. He should have been arrested and charged with failure to stop and render aid if there is such a charge in Aussie land.

Awful for the guy who got choked out & suffered a brain injury due to the attack – an injury like that can be life-changing.

Doing a little youtube sleuthing turns up a host of mayhem videos from Melbourne’s Chapel Street which suggests its one of those nightlife areas laden with bars and yahoos.

Young men + hormones + alcohol = an explosive mix.

To avoid problems its very often the best just not to be there, wherever that is, in the first place.

It seems clear to me the context of the attack was not as if it were taking place in a family fast food restaurant in a quiet suburb on a Sunday afternoon…

dckm

how do you get out of a rear naked choke?
    first thing that comes to my mind is go for their eyes, the foot stomp and and swift kick to the groin.

aviatordave

quote dckm:

how do you get out of a rear naked choke?
    first thing that comes to my mind is go for their eyes, the foot stomp and and swift kick to the groin.

Best way is to prevent it.

Once you’re in it, grab a finger or two on his hand that’s on the back of your head and bend it over backwards. No matter how tight their fingers are held together, you can always peel off the pinky and snap it off. Once that hand is free, go to town. At that point you have a lot of options because the immediate danger was the choke. I think you want to go for the fingers even before the eyes or foot stomp because you only have a few seconds to work with, and someone that’s really determined might be able to fight through a foot stomp, and their eyes may be hard to get to since he can move his head around out of your reach somewhat. But you know exactly where the fingers behind your head are.

I was put into a RNC by a friend once in wrestling practice. There would have been time to snap off a finger had he really been trying to knock me out, but that’s about it. It takes the fight out of you in a hurry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: