Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics To fight or not to fight?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    edmundich

I am curious, what would you do?

A little pre-history. I have been going to Krav 1 for 5 months, will probably take Krav 2 soon. Now, a few days ago the following situation hapened: It was my first day at a new job. At 12, I went to get something to eat to a mall nearby. There was this little restaurant and I walked in. The place was empy except 2 people, one was standing at the cashier buying something, another was sitting and eating. Suddenly, the guy who was sitting, looked at me and said “Why the f–k are you looking at me”. At first I didn’t realize he was talking to me, but then he just start yelling at me nonsense crap like “What the f–k is your problem” and things like that clearly provoking me to fight. I turned around and left. I figured that losing a job over this moron didn’t make sense. On the other hand i felt kind of bad that I just walked away. Whould you fight him if you were me? In what situations would you fight or walk away from the possible confrontation?

nate

Re: To fight or not to fight?

No need to fight. If he was just trying to provoke you, there probably wasn’t any danger, and he’s just inflating his ego. Better to walk away safe than get uppity and take a swing for no good reason other than a bruised ego.

Krav isn’t about beating everyone up who talks smack. It’s about going home safe, and that’s what you did.

panphage

In my opinion, the best way to win a fight is to not have to fight at all. I’ll fight to defend myself or those I care for. I don’t fight for ego.

Look at it from a gain/loss point of view. Best case scenario: You get in a fight, kick his ass and don’t get arrested. Worst case scenario: He has a gun in his pocket and you end up dead.

I’m not suggesting that you should never fight, but always know WHY you’re fighting and if it’s worth it.

t-j

quote Panphage:

In my opinion, the best way to win a fight is to not have to fight at all. I’ll fight to defend myself or those I care for. I don’t fight for ego.

Look at it from a gain/loss point of view. Best case scenario: You get in a fight, kick his ass and don’t get arrested. Worst case scenario: He has a gun in his pocket and you end up dead.

I’m not suggesting that you should never fight, but always know WHY you’re fighting and if it’s worth it.

I agree. He could be some 5150 just off his meds. Forget him.

safetyal

I’m new to the forum but I thought I would add a reply as well. I think you did the right thing. Judging by his behavior he may have been on some kind of ummm, mood altering supplement, so to speak. There is no reason to get into a confrontation unless all other options have been used up. Best thing to do is walk away and in your head laugh at how outrageous the whole incident was.

jesse

These boots were made for walkin’ …

You accomplished your goal of safety and you didn’t have to: fill out police reports, file insurance claims, spill your food, break a sweat or clean off your shoes. I will be very well satisfied if I never have to use anything outside the gym. Good call on your part.

Clearly the guy was either messed in the head or just trying to act like a billy badass. While I might have sent a nice “F**k you” his way, I also would have walked away. Not sure I would have a few years ago. But, now, most definitely. The stuff I know now could really mness up a person’s day. I want to make sure if I have to use these skills that it’s for something more important than my wounded pride. You did the right thing. Don’t let it bother you. The bottom line is you know you could have wiped the floor with his face, if you had chosen to do so. The fact that you chose not to do so shows a humanity and strength of character that no amount of Krav training can give you if you don’t already have it. Keep repeating this mantra: You did the right thing, you did the right thing. Ask yourself: If you had had a gun would you have pulled it on him and shot him? Probably not. That’s kind of like what being a trained (and very dangerous) Krav fighter is. You are the gun; you get to choose when to pull the trigger.

nixxon

Let the whacko enjoy his lunch with his invisible friend. Not worth breaking your hand on his face IMO.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

From my experience the more you train the more confidence you gain. As such the easier it is to walk away from a situation knowing with confidence that it was under your control.

Verbally being able to diffuse the situation becomes easier as well since you’re apt to be calmer simply because of your confidence level.

You’d be surprised at the look on your attackers face when they brandish a weapon at you and you calmly say “you might want to put that away for your own safety”

roningai

quote :

Youíd be surprised at the look on your attackers face when they brandish a weapon at you and you calmly say ìyou might want to put that away for your own safetyî

thumbsup:beer: QFT.

OP: you did the right thing.i used to have a short fuse when i was younger but as i’ve grown i’ve learned to put the dynamite back in the box.

corey-marsh

Hmm, i would like to think i would walk away, but not if i was with someone i cared about or was in a close proximity to this person running his mouth. i would probably address the threat.

Knowing Krav is like driving a Ferrarri that you can’t take past 65 MPH. Sometimes you just want to unload and see what it can do.

That said, i am a very calm person. I can count the times ive been angry enough to raise my voice even. Its not often i find myself in threatening situations, and i dont walk around being a punkass. Also, i am not a LEO and am not as concerned with the reprocusions. I cant really say what i would do unless i was there.

It was mentioned above, at least you went home safe and thats all that really matters.

edmundich

Thank you everyone for your replies!! My biggest fear was that if i get involve into fight, I might lose my new job. They have some very strict rules 🙂

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Theres something to be said for piece of mind, and the more you train the more of it you will have.

Coincidentally I was in the underground parking lot walking into KM the other night when a car sped up sled sideways at me and the driver looked over his companion and said “I’m going to get out of the car and F U UP” it was an instructor from another system (kapap) that I know so I wasn’t worried but I calmly replied. “I hope you have a gun and are smart enough to stand back when you deploy it because if I can touch you you’re screwed” His friend who doesn’t know me and had no idea what was going on looked at him and said “this guys nuts”

big-gene75

I hope you have a gun and are smart enough to stand back when you deploy it because if I can touch you you’re screwed

cj’s dad – u scare me with just your statements! lol!

I am in the earlier stages of KM myself but I honestly don’t know what I would’ve done in that situation. A part of me would’ve wanted to walk away but then there is another part of me that would’ve thought “who the hell does this guy think he’s talking to?” But either way – I’m glad to read something like this post regarding the question as “what to do” instead of reading a post or the paper that someone seriously got hurt!

bull1189

quote Edmundich:

On the other hand i felt kind of bad that I just walked away. Whould you fight him if you were me? In what situations would you fight or walk away from the possible confrontation?

I would always walk away if I could do so in complete safety. You did the right thing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: